Why 5 Valves?

23 replies to this topic
  • lewichris

Posted September 25, 2001 - 07:52 AM

Originally posted by DOC:
You had me worried for a minute! there are three inlet and two exhaust, look in your manual.

sorry bout the bad info. i was told on TTBB what i wrote down. Sorry. Not a mechanic.

• tbronco

Posted September 25, 2001 - 11:02 AM

You're absolutely right Brad.

For our purposes it's good enough to assume air. We are not concerned with actual mass flow data, but the relative difference between intake & exhaust.

While the system as a whole can't use p1v1=p2v2, the intake manifold->cylinder can, and cylinder->exhaust manifold can, or

p(intake before valve)x v(ibv) =
p(intake after valve) x v(iav)

and seperately,

p(burned gas before valve) x v(bgbv) =
p(burned gas after valve) x v(bgav)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DOC

Posted September 25, 2001 - 11:15 AM

I should have thought more about this. TBronco, i think you got it. I was told that in the early days of formula one, they allowed turbocharges. The teams used heat blankets on the turbos. This was supposed to trap the heat in the turbo and keep it hot, and a heated turbo allowed the exhaust gases to flow through the system faster.
Would this have any relevance to your statement?
Im really interested in this and physicis, but unfourtunatly have always been too dumb to comprehend such things!!

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 25, 2001 - 01:16 PM

Brad,
now that I am awake...
I had forgotten the P1V1=P2V2 is all divisible by T, temperature.

In the application we used this formula in, the temp remained constant, therefore was negligable.

I knew I was missing something!

[This message has been edited by NH Kevin (edited September 25, 2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.