what's the noise

8 replies to this topic
  • ram1000

Posted February 17, 2006 - 03:10 PM

I bought a used XR650L for my brother and am having a problem...

I adjusted the valves at 4 and 5 thousanths and I hadn't noticed a noise before. It sounds like a real loose valve tapping on the right side more than the left. I can't hear it while on top of the bike though. Is there a cam chain adjustment that i"m missing here. I don't have a manual of any kind.

• creeky

Posted February 17, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Sounds like you were mauled by the auto decompressor monster. The camshaft has an automatic decompressor fitted which holds the right side exhaust valve open slightly for ease of starting. You have to slowly turn the engine to TDC being careful not to allow the engine to rotate backwards in order to make sure that the decompressor does not engage. Before moving the crankshaft to TDC, kick the engine over slowly until you feel solid compression, then you know the decompressor is not activated, then move to TDC. Did you have to back the adjustment off quite a bit on the right side exhaust valve when you adjusted? If so, the decompressor was activated and you have excessive clearance. Go through the adjustment drill again and check this out.

• ram1000

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:06 PM

Thanks;
I don't quite understand what you said but it makes me feel better. I didn't adjust the valves at TDC. Instead I set the intake valves when the exhaust is open and visa versa. Maybe I need to to it better, but I am going to need a little hand holding for that.

• GrayGhost

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:24 AM

Try this link:
http://www.4strokes....alve,adjustment

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted February 18, 2006 - 07:18 AM

[quote name='ram1000']I bought a used XR650L for my brother and am having a problem.

ram1000........get hold of a service manual for your bike, the procedure is in there. Besides, becoming familiar with the manual will open up a whole new universe of obsessive compulsive rituals to perform on your bike even if you don't need to.

• goblin127

Posted February 18, 2006 - 07:25 AM

Thanks;
I don't quite understand what you said but it makes me feel better. I didn't adjust the valves at TDC. Instead I set the intake valves when the exhaust is open and visa versa. Maybe I need to to it better, but I am going to need a little hand holding for that.

You can find the manuals on ebay. that auto decompresser allways throws people a curve ball.

• ram1000

Posted February 18, 2006 - 08:32 AM

I can see how it would effect the valve clearance. I will buy a manual. Can't wait for ebay though. Can I get an electronic copy anywhere?

• ram1000

Posted February 18, 2006 - 02:18 PM

I reset the valves by locating TDC first and the noise is gone. The right side exhaust valve was way too lose...

• creeky

Posted February 18, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Got 'er done, way to go. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.