L vs R

76 replies to this topic
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:49 AM

With being pulled over as much as I have been on a factory road legal bike, I cannot imagine how many stops i would have on a plated "R"

• wickedsprint

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:31 AM

AZ is the easiest state in the US to get a offroad bike street legaled. In fact, on many dealers floors, at least 1/2 the XR's and CRF's have Baja Designs kits on them.

Probably not as easy as Wyoming, here they actually prompt you if you forget to get the plate, "oh will you be road registering that dirtbike today?" Same process for quads too!

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:38 AM

damn, i need to move to the midwest.

• Mantrasonica

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:58 AM

The L weighs 324 dry! Ouch!

• BigBoreRacing

Posted February 27, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Get an L.
The true King of the desert and of the highways of the WORLD! :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

[COLOR=Red] Dude...you're delusional! The "R" is the King of the desert :thumbsup: ....If you argue it, I'll have to be convinced you have no idea what you're talking about![/COLOR]

• 767driver

Posted February 27, 2006 - 12:30 PM

Maybe this will help you decide.

When you ride your bike do you wear:

1.) Penny Loafers
2.) Motocross boots

The choice should now be obvious :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted February 27, 2006 - 01:28 PM

1.) Penny Loafers
2.) Motocross boots

Penny loafers and facelifts ,next you guys will be watching broken back mountain

• ghoti

Posted February 27, 2006 - 01:32 PM

1.) Penny Loafers
2.) Motocross boots

Let's see, I wore my MX boots all day yesterday playing in the mud and singletrack. Screwed the mirror back on my L after her bath and rode it to work today.
P.S.
I don't have any type of loafers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ewbish

Posted February 27, 2006 - 02:41 PM

This may well all be true, I do not know, & I am in no way saying you are wrong.

However, all I do know for sure is when I went to the DMV, and told them I had an XR650R that was registered out of state and I wanted it transferred here; I was shown the DMV law in writing stating that any bike originally designed “for off-road use only” was ineligible to be plated. Regardless of modifications. (The exact wording escapes me as it has been well over a year since I tried this )

Super Motarded CR500, note the NY plate. Guy got it plated in NJ first. I know a couple of guys with Motarded XR's in NY too. Trust me, it can be done. It's all about how bad you wanted it. If you would have showed up with the bike and out of state plates, they would have had no choice but to plate it.

Posted Image

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 27, 2006 - 02:47 PM

I just love all this "L" vs. "R" banter, I really do!

It is so much more fun than playing pin the C4 on the liberal! (well, less messy maybe :bonk: )

:thumbsup:

Funny how the Japanese have so much trouble with those two letters... :bonk:

All i know is, I just want both. :thumbsup:

• ewbish

Posted February 27, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Probably not as easy as Wyoming, here they actually prompt you if you forget to get the plate, "oh will you be road registering that dirtbike today?" Same process for quads too!

Ha, awesome! But do you have to get it inspected? We just "promise" to add the mirror and horn.

AZ min requirements on the road are pretty simple anyway: one mirror, horn, headlight, tail light w/ brake light. That's it. No turn signals, they don't mandate dot tires, nothing.

I raced a hare scrambles last month (Holy Joe) and almost every bike had a license plate riveted to the fender. A CRF with a plate is funny;-)

• ewbish

Posted February 27, 2006 - 02:49 PM

[COLOR=Red] Dude...you're delusional! The "R" is the King of the desert :thumbsup: ....If you argue it, I'll have to be convinced you have no idea what you're talking about![/COLOR]

Sorry, radiators don't belong in the desert. Man, you can't possibly believe how many guys I pass in desert races sitting there in a cloud of steam!

• ewbish

Posted February 27, 2006 - 02:50 PM

1.) Penny Loafers
2.) Motocross boots

Depends on whether I'm heading out for a beer, or heading out to run a few miles of single track in the desert;-)

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 27, 2006 - 02:58 PM

Super Motarded CR500, note the NY plate. Guy got it plated in NJ first. I know a couple of guys with Motarded XR's in NY too. Trust me, it can be done. It's all about how bad you wanted it. If you would have showed up with the bike and out of state plates, they would have had no choice but to plate it.

Posted Image

I didn't doubt you, I am simply repeating what i was told.
I wish I would have pursued it harder, but i had nothing to go on other than what the state told me. I shoulda known better :thumbsup:

I wasn't aware at the time of this site or others like it to turn to for advice. I was acting completely on my own.

oh well, live & learn!

sweet lookin bike btw!

• pigryder

Posted February 27, 2006 - 03:04 PM

Hey guys just got to put in my 2 cents...I recently purchased an L to add to my collection of toys which include the R, I was going to plate the R cause here in PA its is quite easy but decided to go with the L because I didnt want the wear and tear of street riding on the R. You see I had a 900rr that cost me my liscense for a year and a half! 3 months to go, and The biggest lessoned I learned was you have to be in control on the road its not all out dirt riding way to easy to get into trouble. And the L in my opion and this is coming from someone who has both and has been riding for about 20 years is that it is as capable offroad as the R with the right rider! I love them both! Sweet ass bikes!

• ewbish

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:06 PM

I didn't doubt you, I am simply repeating what i was told.
I wish I would have pursued it harder, but i had nothing to go on other than what the state told me. I shoulda known better :thumbsup:

I wasn't aware at the time of this site or others like it to turn to for advice. I was acting completely on my own.

oh well, live & learn!

sweet lookin bike btw!

The important thing though is that you got a bike;-) As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the L over the R anyway, though if truth be told, I'd like one of each!

• Mudshark

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:25 PM

Yup.... one of each sounds perfect to me :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.