76 replies to this topic
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 20, 2006 - 11:10 AM

It's still pretty easy to do in Texas.

Yep. Tagging my 250R was pretty easy.

"M'hep you?"
"Yes'm, I believe you can. I need tags for a dirt bike..."
"A what? Oh, my word....Gladys, can you help this man...?"

Got passed around some. There was a path to take, but nothing other than learning/following the gummint's red tape.

Couldn't call it hard to do. :thumbsup:

• Mudshark

Posted February 20, 2006 - 01:05 PM

Have you ridden it or does it just sit in your garage looking pretty? I don't even see a single boot scuff mark on the clutch cover. :bonk:

Nice looking bike btw :thumbsup:

Thanks.... give it time...it only has 50 miles on it :bonk:
I'll baby it for a couple of hundred miles. Then use it like it wants to.

I was going to get a "L" .... but figured it wasnt a real bike... y'know
e-start n'all.. :eek: ..... just kidding "L's" are cool also. :thumbsup:
I have a DR650 for riding on the roads with. :bonk:

• dieselndixie

Posted February 20, 2006 - 01:11 PM

ok so give it to me straight...been riding 2 strokes for the past 9 years...never even started a 4-stroke. is it the leg breaking task they say? I figure if I can kick a 2 stroke after casing a double, I can do it...my point is...is e-start that big of a deal?

• BIGGITY

Posted February 20, 2006 - 01:12 PM

Man I wish we could get a new 650R street legal here in Cali. 2002 or older and only if it was done before January last year :thumbsup: Seen a few 2003's that squeeked by somehow also. But nothing newer than that... :thumbsup:

• wickedsprint

Posted February 20, 2006 - 01:14 PM

ok so give it to me straight...been riding 2 strokes for the past 9 years...never even started a 4-stroke. is it the leg breaking task they say? I figure if I can kick a 2 stroke after casing a double, I can do it...my point is...is e-start that big of a deal?

Nope, my 650 is easier to start than my 250 and 500 pingers were any day of the week. The 650R is a pussycat to kick. You don't even need to use the manual release, kicking it without themanual release feels like my old KX500 did.

• Mudshark

Posted February 20, 2006 - 01:29 PM

I love this R vs. L banter. You have to be tough as nails to ride a L, we take more abuse than the youngest of six brothers.

All in good fun..... unlike the abuse from 5 older brothers, it sounds like you’ve
been there also :thumbsup:
The cool thing is.... now they’re all old farts (well older than me) and I'm still
in pretty good shape.... pity the urge to beat the snot out of them has
dwindled with age :bonk: :bonk: :thumbsup:

• 4whlfun

Posted February 20, 2006 - 03:01 PM

If your in Phoenix Arizona The main thing they worry about is emissions. As long as you have that done. They only ask if you have all the equipment on to make it street legal. No inspection. XR650R street legal and loving it. WHY WOULD ANY ONE EVEN CONSIDER AN L HERE. :thumbsup:

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:38 PM

If your in Phoenix Arizona...WHY WOULD ANY ONE EVEN CONSIDER AN L HERE. :thumbsup:

Because you can plate 'em in every state, there is no replacement for displacement, it's a true dual purpose machine right out of the crate, because the 650R didn't exist unitl 2000, and because it's a big-bore Honda Thumper that can go just about anywhere.

• ghoti

Posted February 21, 2006 - 06:06 AM

WHY WOULD ANY ONE EVEN CONSIDER AN L HERE. :thumbsup:

Many may not agree, but riding on the street is just that, riding. It's not a race track. It's hard enough resisting the urge to pull wheelies without R power.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:30 PM

L is for LADIES. PERIOD.

Get yourself a street legal XR650R and have the best of both worlds... :thumbsup:

I'm not biased am I (sig)? lol

Id like to see any lady handeling a bad ass 350 pound L!! If your lady can, she is an imbread genetic monster thats 8'7'', 487 pounds, benches 743, and has neon green hair.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hill5150

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:33 PM

If your in Phoenix Arizona The main thing they worry about is emissions. As long as you have that done. They only ask if you have all the equipment on to make it street legal. No inspection. XR650R street legal and loving it. WHY WOULD ANY ONE EVEN CONSIDER AN L HERE. :thumbsup:

True,True my plate cost me a 4 hour drive, and 65.00...............I ride circles around "L" ousy drivers and it works, well, reallllllllllly good in the dirt at 90 MPH.................... :thumbsup:

• ewbish

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:15 AM

I live in S. AZ. I had my choice between an L and an R as well. For me it was simple, the L was the way to go. 90% of my time on that bike is off road. I am also racing the bike in desert scrambles, and will be racing about a dozen desert races this year ranging from AZ scrambles to Lucerne Valley and Elsinore in CA. For me, it was all about the radiators. If you have a factory semi every 60 miles (Baja 1K), rads are great. But if your average joe, it's too damn easy to break one in the desert. And of course I like the magic button and the plusher ride of the L. Another thing is the 10 + piston in the R. It runs like shit on crap gas, and sometimes you can't get anything but crap gas in Mexico.

Not sure why folks are so down on the L, it's nothing but a 90's XR600R with lights, and that bike ruled the desert in it's day.

So far, I've got the WBE2 pipe, fork brace, desmogged, Mikuni flatside carb. In the works is a CR front end (KYB USD forks etc) and a Edelbrock carb. I don't feel the need to increase the power any more over that, especially since the L engine is bullet proof.

• desert4seat

Posted February 24, 2006 - 09:53 AM

I live in S. AZ. I had my choice between an L and an R as well. For me it was simple, the L was the way to go. 90% of my time on that bike is off road. I am also racing the bike in desert scrambles, and will be racing about a dozen desert races this year ranging from AZ scrambles to Lucerne Valley and Elsinore in CA. For me, it was all about the radiators. If you have a factory semi every 60 miles (Baja 1K), rads are great. But if your average joe, it's too damn easy to break one in the desert. And of course I like the magic button and the plusher ride of the L. Another thing is the 10 + piston in the R. It runs like shit on crap gas, and sometimes you can't get anything but crap gas in Mexico.

Not sure why folks are so down on the L, it's nothing but a 90's XR600R with lights, and that bike ruled the desert in it's day.

So far, I've got the WBE2 pipe, fork brace, desmogged, Mikuni flatside carb. In the works is a CR front end (KYB USD forks etc) and a Edelbrock carb. I don't feel the need to increase the power any more over that, especially since the L engine is bullet proof.

Right on! My opinion exactly! Couldn’t of said it better myself! Best all around bike on the market period!

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Can't make an "R" street legal in New York :thumbsup: , so the point is moot here.

• ewbish

Posted February 24, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Can't make an "R" street legal in New York :thumbsup: , so the point is moot here.

Unless you buy one in another state that's already street legal.

• HC

Posted February 24, 2006 - 02:12 PM

I have an R, rode friends L, like them too, I came close to buying one. what I dont like on the L, is a friggin battery hanging in the breeze, the goofy air wings would go away with a big fuel tank .

cant go wrong either way really.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 27, 2006 - 03:57 AM

Unless you buy one in another state that's already street legal.

No ewbish, you cant. Not according to the NYS DOT/DMV. If the bike says "for off road use only" it cannot be plated. ever. period. No matter what you do to it, or if you have it pre-registered in another state. I explored the option of an "R" which is what I initially wanted, but it wont happen in this state. I tried to buy one pre-plated in a neighboring state to get transferred into NY, DMV shut me down.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 27, 2006 - 04:00 AM

NY sux :bonk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk:

• ewbish

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:04 AM

No ewbish, you cant. Not according to the NYS DOT/DMV. If the bike says "for off road use only" it cannot be plated. ever. period. No matter what you do to it, or if you have it pre-registered in another state. I explored the option of an "R" which is what I initially wanted, but it wont happen in this state. I tried to buy one pre-plated in a neighboring state to get transferred into NY, DMV shut me down.

Except that they can't really stop you, violates federal laws. CA tried this, and lost a class action suit years ago. It would be akin to a state not recognizing a wedding license from another state. If you show up at NY DOT w/ a XR650 plated in AZ, and it meets NY's safety requirements, they have no choice but to license it. There are a couple of states that make this difficult, WA, IA, etc. For NY residents, it is recommended to get your bike licensed in Vermont.

This is really common BTW, and I see it a lot. AZ is the easiest state in the US to get a offroad bike street legaled. In fact, on many dealers floors, at least 1/2 the XR's and CRF's have Baja Designs kits on them. You buy the bike, take your title to a 3rd party DMV office, pay 14.00, and get your registration, tag, and valid plate. No inspection. I've know folks from all over the US that come here, get a PO box, buy the bike, get it street legaled, then trailer it back home. Besides, you can always use the Reconstructed Vehicle Title laws, this works anywhere. RVT is the methond you use to get a custom or home built bike legalized. You customize your XR frame in such a manner as to require a new VIN be issued.

Trust me my friend, I've been plating bikes for years, every state has a way around.

I currently own the following street legaled bikes: CR125, XR250R, KEF300 (4-wheeler), RM80, CR80.

The nice thing about a plated bike is, the FS and BLM can no longer **** with you. They have to treat you the same as somebody in a minivan.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:45 AM

This may well all be true, I do not know, & I am in no way saying you are wrong.

However, all I do know for sure is when I went to the DMV, and told them I had an XR650R that was registered out of state and I wanted it transferred here; I was shown the DMV law in writing stating that any bike originally designed “for off-road use only” was ineligible to be plated. Regardless of modifications. (The exact wording escapes me as it has been well over a year since I tried this )

I contacted several different insurance companies at the time and told them I had an XR650R that was licensed out of state & I wanted to transfer it to NY. That flat out refused to insure it. They would give me an ORV policy, but would not cover it for on road use. No insurance in NY = no plate as you have to have proof of insurance in your hand when you go to fill out the registration papers.

There are no third party DMV offices in NY to my knowledge (Although I admit I am not even exactly sure what you mean by that)

The reconstructed vehicle law may well work, but that is an arduous process with no guarantee of success. (I inquired about that as well) It is a lot of cost and red tape to MAYBE get a plate based on the whims of some underpaid overworked state worker with an attitude.

If I had the extra money to try it, I probably would, but it was just way to much expense & hassle to go through for something that had no guarantee of success. I may attempt it again in the future, I may not.

Besides all of that, one uniquely registered XR “R” where I live (I have never even seen another 650L on the road here, ever) would make me a target. That is something I don’t need to be.

I went with the “L” for cost, ease of registration, and hopefully minimal police stops (7 to date in just the last part of last summer, because they don’t believe even my “L” is road legal)

I love my “L”, it is a great bike for it’s purpose…

But…

…I still want an “R”

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.