L vs R

76 replies to this topic
  • khelton

Posted February 18, 2006 - 04:08 AM

\

80% street - you may want the L..it can be ridden all day. ( Are we helping any ? :thumbsup: )

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 18, 2006 - 10:09 AM

Not sure if any of this is actually helping you decide.

I can further add to the confusion by saying this fact about me:
Everything about me wants/wanted the R. I got the L. I am _very_ happy with my L. Go figure. But I do have my 250R for tight trails, etc. It has _never_ let me down...always fun to ride.

When the CRF600X comes out, I'll get one of those. It'll make the R look like fossilized dinosaur poop, even though the 650R is _always_ going to be a great bike, no matter what else is on the market. This is how I fell about the 650L...it is a great bike despite what else is available. It does a great job at doing what I bought it for.

So there you have it. They're _all_ great bikes. Listen to what _you_ want, not what your buds or magazines say. Pick one, and ride like the wind. :thumbsup:

• Maddox101

Posted February 18, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Oh Jesus, :thumbsup: you have an "L". Sit down, your used to it..............

LMAO! I love this S**T. I find this site so intertaining! :thumbsup:

• Maddox101

Posted February 18, 2006 - 04:46 PM

I'd go with the R myself. I ride with a buddy who has the L wishing he bought the R....I never find my self wishing I bought the L...I only wish for the button!

• Shakeyhands

Posted February 18, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Have you ever heard a pirate say: LLLL Matey? Me neither, get the R.

Hahaha... thats good. BUT.. the L is better.....

No... Seriously.

• XRsteve

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:43 PM

They're both big bikes. I was going to buy an R but bought an L instead. But thats because I didn't want to go through the hassle of making an R street legal. I also have a XR400 that is my primary dirtbike, so I didn't really need another bike for tight singletrack. My L is offroad ready, but I probably do ride it more on the street than in the dirt.
I think the best thing to do is get as many bikes as you can afford.

• Mudshark

Posted February 18, 2006 - 07:04 PM

I'll second that notion :thumbsup: that way you got what you need. :thumbsup:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 18, 2006 - 07:24 PM

So I'm not crazy? :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

• dieselndixie

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:47 AM

:thumbsup:

Guys, this is more help/info than I imagined....i think the R is the bike for me...just coming off my cr250r...wanted a 4 stroke because I started riding more and more trails until I basically stopped wanting to ride MX tracks all together. This is when I decided that a four stroke was for me...then that idea morphed into a dual sport, but really only to ride the roads when I need to (big bend national park, etc.) L just sounds like a refined dirtbike, but refined is not my bag.

now, this may kick things up a knotch...I am also getting alot of recomendations for a DRZ400...thoughts?

I am 6'2 250lbs btw

again...you guys rock..this is good stuff for a bike buyer

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:55 AM

A 650L is 300 lbs (no matter what Honda says). That's no ladies bike.

Pfft!

I WISH it was only 300! More like 3-fiddy!

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • texsurfer

Posted February 20, 2006 - 09:03 AM

as big as you are, the drz400 will be like a pit bike compared to the 650R...

i'm only 5'11 180lbs and i can't imagine riding anything smaller and i ride in all conditions, tight trails, open desert, but no MX. its a good workout and fun with all the power. but starting in rocks on teh side of a hill can suck. if it had an electric leg, it would be perfect. but i wouldnt' get something with an electric leg on anything smaller. i rode a wr450 and it felt like the last xr280 i rode but with better handling and brakes.

• desert4seat

Posted February 20, 2006 - 09:13 AM

Pirates? What do pirates have to do with going fast in the dez?
Dude…Don’t be a R riding butt pirate.
Get an L.
The true King of the desert and of the highways of the WORLD! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk:

• Mudshark

Posted February 20, 2006 - 09:24 AM

:thumbsup:
I am 6'2 250lbs btw

You meet the required size for a XR650R. Just get it DS'ed by the dealer
before picking it up. I doesnt cost a lot more and is worth every penny.
Thats what I did. Cycle Center of Denton (Texas) did mine for me... they
know what to do for this kind of thing, they do it a lot. heres mine... just picked it up
so it's still a bit clean:
Posted Image

its has:
Baja Designs DS kit, Speedo, Honda Ignition switch
FMF Q2
170 main jet (got a 172 and 175 as well)
68S pilot jet
Needle on 4th notch from the top
"uncorked" carb manifold
Dunlop 606's
15T CS Sproket
Clarke 4.3 Gal tank

All included in the deal.

You can't ask for more. :thumbsup:

• FJT

Posted February 20, 2006 - 09:26 AM

Unless you're a teeny, sequin-dressing figure-skater, the kick start on the R will pose no threat to you. In fact, it weighs less, and doesn't add mechanical complexity to a great, powerful package.

"The true King of the desert and of the highways of the WORLD!"

This is true. As long as your vision of a king is old, slow, fat, and with arthritic legs. :bonk: The L WILL get you there, no doubt. It will do so slowly, and with a lot of clanging on both ends. But it will get you there. Of course, so will a mid-60's Jawa... :thumbsup:

Get the R; plate it, and ride. :thumbsup:

Best,
Cowboy

• ghoti

Posted February 20, 2006 - 09:44 AM

Oh Jesus, :thumbsup: you have an "L". Sit down, your used to it..............

I love this R vs. L banter. You have to be tough as nails to ride a L, we take more abuse than the youngest of six brothers.

• XRsteve

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:00 AM

Before I bought my 650L, I asked a lot of people how to go about making a dirt bike street legal. I heard a lot of conflicting stories. Most dealers said they couldn't do it with a new Honda. Apparently it is possible where I live, but a total pain in the butt. Before buying anything, I would check local laws or ask people in the dualsport forum about how they did it in your state.

• ghoti

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:10 AM

Before I bought my 650L, I asked a lot of people how to go about making a dirt bike street legal. I heard a lot of conflicting stories. Most dealers said they couldn't do it with a new Honda. Apparently it is possible where I live, but a total pain in the butt. Before buying anything, I would check local laws or ask people in the dualsport forum about how they did it in your state.

It's still pretty easy to do in Texas.

• BIGGITY

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:32 AM

You meet the required size for a XR650R. Just get it DS'ed by the dealer
before picking it up. I doesnt cost a lot more and is worth every penny.
Thats what I did. Cycle Center of Denton (Texas) did mine for me... they
know what to do for this kind of thing, they do it a lot. heres mine:
Posted Image

its has:
Baja Designs DS kit, Speedo, Honda Ignition switch
FMF Q2
170 main jet (gotr a 172 and 175 as well)
68S pilot jet
Needle on 4th notch from the top
"uncorked" carb manifold
Dunlop 606's
15T CS Sproket
Clarke 4.3 Galon tank

All included in the deal.

You can't ask for more. :thumbsup:

Have you ridden it or does it just sit in your garage looking pretty? I don't even see a single boot scuff mark on the clutch cover. :bonk:

Nice looking bike btw :thumbsup:

• wickedsprint

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:49 AM

It's still pretty easy to do in Texas.

And ridiculousy easy in Wyoming, to the point where the EXPECT you to do it when you go to pay taxes(will you be getting a license plate for this bike today?) I kid you not.

• Supplicate

Posted February 20, 2006 - 11:05 AM

And ridiculousy easy in Wyoming, to the point where the EXPECT you to do it when you go to pay taxes(will you be getting a license plate for this bike today?) I kid you not.

they didn't quite ask that question on the other side of the state.

The cops in this town are pretty anti-bike, every one I've talked to tells me something entirely different about the requirements.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.