L vs R

76 replies to this topic
  • dieselndixie

Posted February 17, 2006 - 12:07 PM

Damnit! why is it such a toss up?

All set and ready to buy the L model (used)....but cant help but wonder how much I will actually ride on the asphalt.

I guess I really plan on trail riding here in texas and then maybe down the road....doing some adventure riding that involves road.

so, please, someone convince me that I am not missing out by going either way

• BIGGITY

Posted February 17, 2006 - 12:12 PM

L is for LADIES. PERIOD.

Get yourself a street legal XR650R and have the best of both worlds... :thumbsup:

I'm not biased am I (sig)? lol

• TimBrp

Posted February 17, 2006 - 12:22 PM

If you're going to be offroad more than 50% at most times get the R. If you're going to be on the road more than 80% of the time get the L. The R is the better performer, the L is the better road bike.

• pigryder

Posted February 17, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Dude Buy Both Like Me!

• 2000 xr650r

Posted February 17, 2006 - 01:08 PM

I ride a dual-sported R and I think it is the only way to go. I ride 50/50 and it works great. Also it has lots of horsepower/tourqe but i could not give any power up and own a L. Get a R and street plate it or easier yet buy a R thats already plated. (thats what i did).

Maybe I am biased. I was going for the L and saw this good deal on a street plated R. I live in a small town 3000 population and there is only one other XR owner and he has a L. Now i can say bye bye to him. lol. He will have a suprise one day when i pull up beside him.

2000 xr650r plated
uncorked
pristine cond.

• ghoti

Posted February 17, 2006 - 01:12 PM

L is for LADIES. PERIOD.

Get yourself a street legal XR650R and have the best of both worlds... :thumbsup:

Here we go again.
R is for RETARD. :thumbsup:

• khelton

Posted February 17, 2006 - 02:04 PM

If you are going to ride Copper Canyon, Mexico..get the L, all other uses, get the R. Period.

The L is so bullet proof it is amazing, you plonk on the L. But, the technology is so old you will quickly tire of it. Very low Horsepower, suspension is so soft it needs $850 worth of springs and valves and it is still slow. Bump up the HP and the air cooled motor gets stressed very quickly. If you buy the L, you have to realize you will actually end up buying 2 bikes ( any money saved on the L will be eaten up because you will end up buying another bike) You will also quickly tire of being left in the dirt by every one of your buddies.

They are bullet proof. Save yourself some money and a lot of headaches, get the R, if later want to upgrade, the R has so many aftermarket parts it is unbelievable.

• rkuckkahn

Posted February 17, 2006 - 02:24 PM

Age old question.
I have the L.
The L will run forever but you have to uncork it. It's lean from the factory.
(So is the R). I can push the L and with uncorking it runs at acceptable temps. You've also got to change the oil on R or L regularly to keep them healthy.

I couldn't license the R in my state............PERIOD. Make darn sure you can before you buy the R. Oh yea and check the price of all the stuff you buy to get it street legal if you plan any! any! street riding.

I love going on and off road so there's no way the R would have been acceptable to me given the DOT registration problem with the R.

Even if I'm a little heavier (the bike that is) and maybe a little slower. Again I'm not racing with it, just going as fast as I can with what I got.

Suspension on mine is adjusted with stock equipment close to the stiffest settings but I'm 200 lbs and find that aspect acceptable too.

For me the L is trustworthy, durable, simpler than the R, and I'm on/off road all the time. Easy choice.

• BIGGITY

Posted February 17, 2006 - 02:42 PM

Here we go again.

Yeah well........... dancing fish are for fags!!! :bonk:

lol just playing :thumbsup:

• GIANTac1

Posted February 17, 2006 - 02:43 PM

Age old question.
I have the L.
The L will run forever but you have to uncork it. It's lean from the factory.
(So is the R). I can push the L and with uncorking it runs at acceptable temps. You've also got to change the oil on R or L regularly to keep them healthy.

I couldn't license the R in my state............PERIOD. Make darn sure you can before you buy the R. Oh yea and check the price of all the stuff you buy to get it street legal if you plan any! any! street riding.

I love going on and off road so there's no way the R would have been acceptable to me given the DOT registration problem with the R.

Even if I'm a little heavier (the bike that is) and maybe a little slower. Again I'm not racing with it, just going as fast as I can with what I got.

Suspension on mine is adjusted with stock equipment close to the stiffest settings but I'm 200 lbs and find that aspect acceptable too.

For me the L is trustworthy, durable, simpler than the R, and I'm on/off road all the time. Easy choice.

WORD! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • khelton

Posted February 17, 2006 - 03:19 PM

If your goal is to have something totally bulletproof..the L is the bike..it absolutely will not let you down...mine is now 11 years old and has never had to go back to the shop for a repair. I just found myself wanting more performance abotu 2 years ago....bought the R and like it even better..that does assume you can find one that is already street legal.

• sgifford

Posted February 17, 2006 - 03:28 PM

How important is the magic button to you? You can add it to the R, but it costs around $800 (I think). Also, be realistic about the level of performance you need/want. I ride serious trails with guys on high-performance trail-bikes all the time (KTMs, WR's, etc.) and I have no problem staying with them on my L. We ride aggressive, but we're not 'racing'.

My size might also be a factor on the L: I'm 6'6". I imagine it's height/weight would be harder to handle for someone shorter.

During the week the L makes a great commuter bike.

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 17, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Damnit! why is it such a toss up?

All set and ready to buy the L model (used)....but cant help but wonder how much I will actually ride on the asphalt.

I guess I really plan on trail riding here in texas and then maybe down the road....doing some adventure riding that involves road.

so, please, someone convince me that I am not missing out by going either way

If you are going to ride pavement just to connect to other off-road trails, get a diRt bike, or the XRR.

Modern dirt bikes are light years ahead of the ancient XRL. I've ridden 650R's & I had an '02 WRF426. Way better off-road. That's because of how they're designed. I was at the point where I only rode my heavily dirt-modded XRL on the street because of the extreme handling differences, not to mention the 100 lb. (WRF) weight savings.

Either one you choose will need modifications to make it (more of) a dual purpose machine.

Raw power, speed & suspension goes to the XRR.
Street legal out of the crate, stable street manners & linear (tame), power delivery goes to the XRL.

• madxr4

Posted February 17, 2006 - 03:57 PM

Have you ever heard a pirate say: LLLL Matey? Me neither, get the R.

• BIGGITY

Posted February 17, 2006 - 05:19 PM

Now that is funny :thumbsup:

• knuklehead

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:06 PM

R Have an R it has been more relible than my L (droped A valve seat) R has been way WAY more fun. R R R I love the big red pig

• hill5150

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Here we go again.

Oh Jesus, :thumbsup: you have an "L". Sit down, your used to it..............

• painkilla

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:48 PM

it all depends on the size of ur balls

L riders have small ones

R riders have big ones

its a proven fact, everyone knows this

• adam574

Posted February 17, 2006 - 09:08 PM

i am in the same boat... one day i convince myself i need the l and then the next i want the r. the more mature and better decisiion making side of me would chose the l since i will be doing like 80/20 street but who doesn't want more power, better handling, and cooler looking.

• Sleeperdrz

Posted February 17, 2006 - 10:02 PM

L is for LADIES. PERIOD.

A 650L is 300 lbs (no matter what Honda says). That's no ladies bike.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.