Gee Wally, let's talk sprockets...! (650L)

4 replies to this topic
  • phuzz

Posted February 17, 2006 - 10:00 AM

OK, looking to re-sprocket an L.

What are your opinions on:
1) Best gearing you like for your riding style
2) Best manufacturers, including OEM Honda.
3) Best materials for your style of riding (steel, aluminum, nubile-virgin-blessed titanium, etc.)

Oh, and I'd be using a new stock OEM chain.

14/48 seems to be the consensus for street/trail mix.

...mmmmMMMmm...trail mix (|):8_)

• goblin127

Posted February 17, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Sunstar steal sprockets 14/48 for the woods and stock or some sort of mix for the road. It's a simple bike and steal sprocket's are just fine. That stock chain seem's to be holding up very well for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sgifford

Posted February 17, 2006 - 01:16 PM

The Sunstar sprockets work well for me. I use 14/48 off-road, 14/45 on-road (a different set of wheels for on-road).

• ghoti

Posted February 17, 2006 - 01:39 PM

I use 15/48 for the street and 14/48 when strictly off. I got 15,000 miles out of my stock DID chain, very little wear to the spockets.

• rkuckkahn

Posted February 17, 2006 - 02:09 PM

I have sunstar steel too. 14/47 works for me on and off road. I can run trails without "clunking" (jerking) and easily run at 65-70 mph all day without overheating (220 dipstick temp). Had to smooth the rear sprocket though it did have some "edges" to it. Moto grinder, fine, did the job.

I run a DID gold with rivot master link (my opinion do not use clip links) and really love the "X" ring. Lub it (clean it) a lot like any chain, every few hundred miles. This is a tortured part of the bike and needs lots of love. My stock chain was damaged with some heavy duty agricultural fence wire otherwise I'd probably still be running it. Parelli MT 21's have gone 2,000 miles and have another 1/2 to 1/3 left, they wear really well and have not been babied.

I have the intake, carb, exhaust mods to uncork so temps are very much related to the uncorking. No wings either.

Some use different gearing for trail and road, I'm too lazy to do that but I can get the front up easy with this gering. Some of my buddies change the front gear cause it's not that hard. Can't imagine changing the rear or pulling the whole wheel but those who are likely much better riders than I may choose to do it.

By the way the only problem I've heard with a 48 rear is related to chain guide allignment. The guide is not really very well alligned given the larger 48 tooth diameter sprocket. At least check the guides more often for added wear. I figured one less tooth at 47 and better allignment was the best overall compromise but you may also be compromising some low end performance too.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.