should I keep my 650L?

21 replies to this topic
  • xbreaka

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:03 AM

Hi, well I went riding yesterday bike rejetted, uncorked but needless to say it was a horrid experiance. I sloshed all over the place in the snow and deep sand of th powerlines and must have fallen atleast 5 times, and at atleast 3 points I needed help from one of my friends just to lift the bike up, I was wondering what you guys think one of my friends suggested I sell it and get myself a 250, or smaller bike but then again I was thinking I should stick with it and then if I decide later on to move to a smaller bike, it wont be very difficult. But also I dont really want to sell it because it was a gift from my dad and it means alot to him, so I am kind of stuck here.

This was with the stock tires, my mt21s havent come yet, not sure if that will make a major difference.

Also one of my pals said the reason I might be having some trouble is slowing down in the really dfficult stuff, he said I might be to ***** on the throttle. And that if I just gunned it through the dirt and snow id have much better luck.

Any Ideas?

• wickedsprint

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:19 AM

Knobbies make a huge difference, a 650L is a beast if you try and go slow, go fast and let the suspension do its job, also becomes alot easier to point and shoot where you want to put it. I would keep your 650L, they are great bikes and with proper maintenence it will last you forever. Also relax your grip on the bars, you might have a death grip which is also bad for controllability, it's perfectly ok for the bike to be wandering a bit when at speed, initially this might feel out of control but eventually having the ass end all over the place becomes second nature in the slick stuff.

• porterdog

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:45 AM

...it was a horrid experiance. I sloshed all over the place in the snow ...

Don't base your decisions on snowriding; that's really hard for most everyone without specialized tires. Wait until you get some time in riding dirt and then decide.

$0.02,
Robert

• babbs

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, snow tends to be a little slippery. :thumbsup:

• ghoti

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:02 AM

My friends always throw a roost at me before they help me up.

• scooter1100

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:36 AM

Get a 2 tooth smaller fr sprocket for technical trails and soft stuff and carry it in the tool kit. Easy to change front sprockets on the fly. BTW 50-70's are best in the snow... just drag your feet everwhere...lol I remember the first time I dropped mine, stopped :thumbsup: in ruts and couldn't put my foot down without falling over....a trick is to squat with your back to the bike and lift with your legs.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted February 17, 2006 - 09:00 AM

What do you expect stock tires to do in snow? They are made to also grip the hiway. If you but those tires on you will see a huge diffrence. So don't sell it. Its a great reliable bike, just not the best in the snow/slow stuff.

• XRsteve

Posted February 17, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Tires will make a huge difference. And if you have stock 15-45 gearing, it will help immensely to change to 14-48. I would say these two mods are the best way to make the bike more trail ready. The first time I took my 650L offroad I noticed right away that traction sucked and it couldn't go slow enough in first gear. After changing those two things, now it goes anywhere (almost). It isn't quite as capable as a dirt only bike, but it does have the advantage of being street legal. That's why I bought mine.

• brichter

Posted February 17, 2006 - 10:37 AM

Hi, well I went riding yesterday bike rejetted, uncorked but needless to say it was a horrid experiance. I sloshed all over the place in the snow and deep sand of th powerlines and must have fallen atleast 5 times, and at atleast 3 points I needed help from one of my friends just to lift the bike up, I was wondering what you guys think one of my friends suggested I sell it and get myself a 250, or smaller bike but then again I was thinking I should stick with it and then if I decide later on to move to a smaller bike, it wont be very difficult. But also I dont really want to sell it because it was a gift from my dad and it means alot to him, so I am kind of stuck here.

This was with the stock tires, my mt21s havent come yet, not sure if that will make a major difference.

Also one of my pals said the reason I might be having some trouble is slowing down in the really dfficult stuff, he said I might be to ***** on the throttle. And that if I just gunned it through the dirt and snow id have much better luck.

Any Ideas?

Yep, you should get rid of it.

I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands, how much you want for it? :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted February 17, 2006 - 10:39 AM

Diff tires, diff. gears will help but it is a big heavy bike. Watch out for the shift lever through the stator cover on left hand fall's

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted February 17, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Dude Keep It! I Have Many Ayears Expirence And Also A Xr650r And Its A Mostly About The Tires! Got To Have The Knobs, I Havent Even Uncorked My L (just Got It Yesterday) And The Frist Thing Im Gonna Do After Uncorking It Is Change The Sucky Ass Tires Just Looking At Them Make Me Want To Fall!!!

• Toolmaker

Posted February 17, 2006 - 10:58 AM

I don't know about the stock tires ,but I put a mt-21 on the rear of my 600r and I think it gives up way to soon off road. I'm going back non dot tires when its shot.

• rkuckkahn

Posted February 17, 2006 - 02:34 PM

14/47 gearing, uncork it (you probably have already done that), get some decent tires stock are no good. Parelli MT 21's front and rear, for my taste, DOT approved. Adjust the tire pressure for different surfaces? Yes!

It is a heavier bike, loosen up on the grips and give it some practice time. Use the throttle to stear, stand up, sit down, left foot pressure, right foot pressure, lean, don't lean.......get to know the bike no instant gratification. Snow is not a great medium to learn on however. Mud isn't to great either. Do some normal riding then hit the bigger challenges. I can ride snow and mud now but it took some time.

You need to become one with the machine my son.

If you still don't like it get really ticked off with it, be willing to give it away then sell it to me.

• chicagobikefan

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:24 PM

AHA! Someone else who sometimes has a hard time picking the pig up. She is one heavy, heavy swine when she topples over.

I love this bike, but the stock tires aren't the greatest. Keep it, get better tires (I'm thinking of the .... da-da-DAAAHH ... Teraflex.)

• FOUR STOKED

Posted February 17, 2006 - 11:50 PM

The better tires will make all the difference from the stock tires that come on the bike. Give them a shot and see from there. While you have the tires off be sure to put in some rim locks front and back so you won't be ripping out valve stems with you new found traction. With rim locks you can run very low pressure with the Pirelli's stiff side wall and not spin the tire on the rim. :thumbsup:

• xbreaka

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:42 PM

Diff tires, diff. gears will help but it is a big heavy bike. Watch out for the shift lever through the stator cover on left hand fall's

ya iv already lost 2 shift levers, but I put in handguards and barkbusters so i havent broken once since.

• desert4seat

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:52 AM

I AGREE with Toolmaker 100%! Non DOT is the way to go with the L in the dez. Get a pair of Dunlop Desert TA’s, and you’ll be roosting all your friends LOL. Those stockers were the root of your problem, and lack of experience is your second. But remember, both can be fixed. Don’t get rid of the bike.
The first bike I ever had / learned on was an old YZ 465. Way too big, but in the end it made me a better rider. Now I’m takin my L to Glamis sand dunes and everybody thinks I’m crazy…
You’ll get better…just practice.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:57 AM

Keepth thine bike for all time for there will never again be a bike as thou have now. Really! though, it is a great bike IF used for it's intended purpose. MILD trail riding, loggin road etc. My lil XR250R will kick my 650L's butt off raod - just due to nimbleness and useable power. Having an XR650L is like owning an old Willy's Jeep, dated in design etc, but a blast off road and it goes on the highway too! I don't think there is a better all aruond bike thgan the 650L.

• SDBSKI

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:52 PM

DOT tires are for pavement and flat fire roads. If you want a desert/offroad bike get some non DOT tires. I had a D606 on the back and although it looked aggressive, the harder compound was terrible on hill climbs/decents. I went to a D739. What a difference! :thumbsup:

• brichter

Posted February 21, 2006 - 12:17 PM

If you still don't like it get really ticked off with it, be willing to give it away then sell it to me.

Hey! I was here first! Get off my game, man! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.