Video of Dave's Mods for carburetor

20 replies to this topic
  • chicagobikefan

Posted February 16, 2006 - 08:26 PM

I did Dave's Mods for the carburetor of my '05 XR650L and did a video of the removal of the carb, changing the jets, and shimming the needle. It's in the Pictures & Video forum, but I'll put the link here, too.

Video of Dave's Mods

I hope this demystifies the process for you potential motorheads out there.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted February 16, 2006 - 08:52 PM

Awesome!! Thanks for posting it :thumbsup:

• adam574

Posted February 16, 2006 - 10:20 PM

what kind of camera is that.... you got a pretty good looking picture there. only thing i would have changed is i would have loosened everything up and then done it again so it would have came off easier i.e. the fuel line you wrestled with for 25 seconds. but i bet you could have shaved four minutes off the video which would have made the file size alot smaller. great job though. not sure how much bandwidth you have but you might want to take it down and just let thumpertalk or 4strokes.com host it for you.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted February 16, 2006 - 10:40 PM

Was it just me, or is there no Sound..

The beginning, when he is fighting with that fuel line is funny..

I'd do a Beavis voice over for that bit:
Heh.. Heh.. Heh Heh Heh Heh.. It's stuck.. Heh Heh.. Ouch!!.. I hit my knuckles!. Heh.. Heh Heh..
Uh HUH HUH... This _____ Beavis, Uh Huh Huh..
:thumbsup:

• ghoti

Posted February 17, 2006 - 05:55 AM

All that with the honda tool kit. :thumbsup: I didn't watch the whole thing, but thanks for the post. Some busted knuckles and tossing parts in the trash, (PAIR valve), would have been good too. Did you replace the carb screws with allen socket heads? I replaced the throttle cable screws with allen socket heads too. I'm sorry I will watch the whole thing.

• ghoti

Posted February 17, 2006 - 07:56 AM

Okay I just watched, nice job :thumbsup: . You didn't drill the slide??

• gnfreak

Posted February 17, 2006 - 11:29 AM

Was it just me, or is there no Sound..

The beginning, when he is fighting with that fuel line is funny..

I'd do a Beavis voice over for that bit:
Heh.. Heh.. Heh Heh Heh Heh.. It's stuck.. Heh Heh.. Ouch!!.. I hit my knuckles!. Heh.. Heh Heh..
Uh HUH HUH... This _____ Beavis, Uh Huh Huh..

i was thinking more like "$%%^^&&&*&%$#@@piece of s$^*)why in the $%%#@@ did i think about working on this $%$@!$$"

• rkuckkahn

Posted February 17, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Ok everyone we have all had a nice little laugh and yes there were some funny (very funny) moments only because we could identify with the actor. But I drew blood when I did the mods too I just didn't need the transfusion or was that one of the little carb tubes stuck in his arm.

Anyway I really liked the whole thing. My hat off to you, if I had seen it before I did my mod it would have been a whole lot easier..........right?

Hats off to a noble and quite good quality effort. How about some background music like from Jaws DA da DA da.

"but fellas I really need more cowbell"

• kelleyseiler

Posted February 17, 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hey Great job on the video! :banana: I must say it is alot better when you can see someone do it over reading it :banana: Thanks again for all your efforts. I know your fellow TT brothers and sisters love you for it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :eek: :eek: :lol: :p :p :banana:

• chicagobikefan

Posted February 17, 2006 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, I decided to leave the bloopers in, except for the really stupid parts like dropping screws on the garage floor, etc. And the video was *much, much* longer than that, I edited out about 75% of it. You know how it is, a one hour job takes three hours. I did drill the slide, but I did that on previous carb work and so did not tape it.

No, there was no sound. I have a Panasonic 3CCD camcorder, by the way.

Glad that you liked it. I know the file size was a little big, but I wanted it to be clear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtlvr

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:26 AM

wow kool video,we all laugh at the fuel line struggle but were laughing cause it's happened to us,holy crap i'm suprised you can even find the carb with all thos hoses in the way I have a 94xr650bE (before emissions)lol thanks again

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 18, 2006 - 07:34 AM

Ahhh, the good old knuckle-bustin' days :thumbsup: and the fickle CV carb. Brings back memories: gas fumes, finger cuts, profanity & suds. Did I mention the suds? :bonk:

Nice job. I really liked the special effects with the blood on the hands. Was that real or did you have stunt hands? :bonk:

Here are a few tips from a repeat carb modder myself, you can swing the rear brake fluid reservoir down and completely out of the way and twist-tie it off upright to one of the vacant side panel mounts. Also, remove the (stock) heat shield from the header pipe. Every millimeter of clearance you can provide the easier it is to "extract" that bulbous mixer out of its confines.

Also, spray penetrating oil like WD-40 on those stubborn carb scews, especially the float bowl screws. Tap (lightly) on the end of a phillips screwdriver inserted in each screw head. Helps those babies back right out without the use of profanity.

What's next? A sequel for adjusting the valve lash? :thumbsup:

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted February 18, 2006 - 09:07 AM

I did Dave's Mods for the carburetor of my '05 XR650L and did a video of the removal of the carb, changing the jets, and shimming the needle. It's in the Pictures & Video forum, but I'll put the link here, too.

Video of Dave's Mods

I hope this demystifies the process for you potential motorheads out there.

That was great. Thanks for the video, cool. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• chicagobikefan

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:52 PM

Spread the knowledge... If any of you are members of 4strokes.com or any other online forum, feel free to post the video there, too. The URL of the video is http://www.violetinf...m/davesmods.wmv

It hit 4 below zero in Chicago a few nights ago, but I was thinking about going out for a short ride anyway. I ended up not going. Would any of you have gone out in that weather?

• rokklym

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I haven't watched it yet but I appreciate your efforts. I'm doing those same mods soon so I'll need to get an idea of what to do.
Thanks!

• rokklym

Posted February 20, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Looks like I got the wrong jets. Where did you get yours? You still have the parts #'s?

Here is the ones I was given and the bike shop.
Posted Image

• chicagobikefan

Posted February 21, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I got the jets from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com. Type in Keihin in the top box. The first 5 or 6 links will take you to where you need to go. If you have a Keihin carb in a XR650L, YOU MUST GET THE 21 SERIES PILOT JETS, not the 22 series.

The 58 pilot jet is stock number 143186. A 162 main jet is stock number 143252. A 165 main jet is stock number 143253. I got them in a week! :thumbsup:

• daveld

Posted February 23, 2006 - 12:19 PM

I have done the Dave's mods and was wondering about the jets. I am currently running the 58/165 and I am an elevation of 1000 ft. Is this too much? Should I drop it down to 55/160. What is ideal for 1000 ft.

de-smogged - WB E2 Exhaust - K&N Air filter - snorkel removed. I am getting addicted to jetting this sucker. he he..

• daveld

Posted February 23, 2006 - 12:23 PM

I got the jets from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com. Type in Keihin in the top box. The first 5 or 6 links will take you to where you need to go. If you have a Keihin carb in a XR650L, YOU MUST GET THE 21 SERIES PILOT JETS, not the 22 series.

The 58 pilot jet is stock number 143186. A 162 main jet is stock number 143252. A 165 main jet is stock number 143253. I got them in a week! :thumbsup:

I got my jets from XRS only. What is the difference between the 21 and the 22 series? :thumbsup:

• chicagobikefan

Posted February 23, 2006 - 02:59 PM

I don't know what's the ideal jetting for different elevations. You can see the difference between the 21 and 22 jets by going to motorcycle-superstore.com, entering "keihin" (without the quotes) in the top search box. You'll see a bunch of links come up; halfway down the page there's a link for the 21 and 22 series. The 21 has the threads on the fat part of the jet, and the 22 series has the threads on the thin part of the jet.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.