Recomendations on Rear Sprocket Size?

29 replies to this topic
  • locknload

Posted February 20, 2006 - 01:52 AM

Just remember it puts alot more strain on the chain going around a smaller front sprocket :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:36 AM

This was asked a few months ago but I would like some current feedback. Has anyone running a 13 front noticed increased wear on the chain guide protecting the swing arm?

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 20, 2006 - 09:14 AM

This was asked a few months ago but I would like some current feedback. Has anyone running a 13 front noticed increased wear on the chain guide protecting the swing arm?

No pre-mature wear but I run the TM designs slide......... guaranteed for life
:thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted February 20, 2006 - 09:41 AM

Nope, no issues with the 13t and stock chain slide...SC

• Koko Azuela

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:46 AM

I asked one of the mechanics at the shop and he told me that putting a smaller front sprocket puts a lot more stress on the transmission gears resulting in tranny issues down the road, i don't know how accurate is this info but he suggested the only play with the rear sprocket and 15 for the front is pretty good, maybe 1 size smaller is ok..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:50 PM

I asked one of the mechanics at the shop and he told me that putting a smaller front sprocket puts a lot more stress on the transmission gears resulting in tranny issues down the road, i don't know how accurate is this info but he suggested the only play with the rear sprocket and 15 for the front is pretty good, maybe 1 size smaller is ok..

My stock front is a 14 and I'm thinking of going to a 13 :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:56 PM

I wouldn't mess with the rear sprocket, as I found that can result in clearance issues with the chain guide, as well as needing more links in the chain itself...result: more money, big pain in the :thumbsup:. I put a 13-tooth Ironman countershaft sprocket on my '05, and Boy Howdy, did that make a huge difference. There was a guy on eBay selling them a few days ago for around $20, but you can get them all day at Quality Smart for around $27 + shipping...SC

I was looking in the TT store and found several for $12 to $15 (moose racing etc), is the ironman worth the extra $$?

• clark4131

Posted February 20, 2006 - 04:29 PM

I liked the 1-year warranty and have some buddies who rave about it. Since I was dropping the front to 13, I wanted a stout sprocket. Ironman sprockets are through-hardened, while Moose are case-hardened. For $10 more, it wasn't a big deal to get the Ironman...SC

• alfa

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:53 AM

I went one up on the rear. A fifty two might have been even beter. I purchased a new chain though. My next sproket might be a 52.

• byggd

Posted March 05, 2006 - 04:51 AM

Thanks to everyone advice I installed a 13T and so far I like it a lot :thumbsup: This might be all in my head but I seem to hear more noise coming from the chain now? :thumbsup: I did the chain guard mod so that shouldn't be it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.