what cam for auto decompresion to get

15 replies to this topic
  • ROOKYRIDER

Posted February 16, 2006 - 07:20 PM

im not sure of which cam to buy? i was going to get the hot cam, but was told to get both if i get the hotcams. should i get a stock 2003?i have a 2000 wr 400. :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted February 17, 2006 - 04:56 AM

im not sure of which cam to buy? i was going to get the hot cam, but was told to get both if i get the hotcams. should i get a stock 2003?i have a 2000 wr 400. :thumbsup:

I have heard of problems running hot cams. Click this link, it will give you instructions for install and the part number to order :thumbsup:
http://photobucket.c...0cam_Page_1.jpg

• ROOKYRIDER

Posted February 18, 2006 - 04:22 AM

well, thats bad news. i just found out i shouldnt use a stocker 2003yz cam as well. something about it will wear the chain out out extremely fast.i dont want to throw in a cam to have auto decompression and regret it with long term problems with wearing stuff out. :thumbsup:

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:30 AM

I just replaced the stock 99 EX cam with an 03 WR cam. started up on the third kick. I thought that was great since the fuel lines wer completely empty along with the carb.

• SXP

Posted February 18, 2006 - 06:54 AM

well, thats bad news. i just found out i shouldnt use a stocker 2003yz cam as well. something about it will wear the chain out out extremely fast. :thumbsup:

Nonsense! I have a 03 YZ cam in my 99 WR400 with over 5000 miles on it. The cam gear and chain are holding up just fine. Go for it.

• byggd

Posted February 18, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Nonsense! I have a 03 YZ cam in my 99 WR400 with over 5000 miles on it. The cam gear and chain are holding up just fine. Go for it.

Exactly. That's what was believed early on but has proved to be wrong. I was concerned when I read the same thing after installing one on my 02 426 but there are many MANY TTers that have done it, put on thousands of miles with no problems at all :thumbsup:

• Dirt_rebel

Posted February 18, 2006 - 09:35 PM

i too have installed the yz450f auto decomp cam n had no issues about it. been running my bike for thousands of mile.. the bike runs alot stronger compare to all my buddies' wr400f :thumbsup: ..the bike juz pulls endlessly.. i love this mod :thumbsup: .. u shud go for it.. cheers..

• ROOKYRIDER

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:44 AM

thanks fo the info. i will order the cam now. nothing beats the great feedback this site has. plus thats of course exactly what i want to hear!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426WROhio

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:51 AM

i too have installed the yz450f auto decomp cam n had no issues about it. been running my bike for thousands of mile.. the bike runs alot stronger compare to all my buddies' wr400f :bonk: ..the bike juz pulls endlessly.. i love this mod :thumbsup: .. u shud go for it.. cheers..

What timing did you use, YZ or WR? Mine is in the shop, ('01 WR 426) getting the valves reseated and new springs, Cam tensioner, chain,etc etc.. I am having the 03 YZ450 exhaust cam installed since they are already in there, I am just unsure on timing. :thumbsup:

• yamaz

Posted March 07, 2006 - 05:00 PM

Will it help you not fall over all the time? :thumbsup:

• Dirt_rebel

Posted March 07, 2006 - 05:49 PM

What timing did you use, YZ or WR? Mine is in the shop, ('01 WR 426) getting the valves reseated and new springs, Cam tensioner, chain,etc etc.. I am having the 03 YZ450 exhaust cam installed since they are already in there, I am just unsure on timing. :thumbsup:

i have a yz450f cam on my bike. it's yz timed. if i wud run a wr timing, i will nt be able to use the auto-decomp function

• ROOKYRIDER

Posted March 11, 2006 - 08:44 AM

thats a really good question.maybe thats why they say the chain wears out(when the cams are still wr timing).I have yz timing now, but havent installed the yz auto decompression cam yet.

• weng842002

Posted March 12, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Any heating problems after fixing the cams. or the cams spin faster and produce more heat.

• 426WROhio

Posted March 14, 2006 - 02:05 PM

Man - The shop just called, apparently they feel the 01 WR 426 cam chain will not accomodate the sprocket on the exhasut cam? So, now I am paying another $80 to "upgrade" to the hot cams.
Somebody holler somthing positive! I have got riding plans for Sunday (even though it is snowing today - and 65 the day before? - OHIO)

• FriscoKLR

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:52 PM

I did my '00 wr400 a few weeks ago with the YZ cam. It may look like the chain doesn't seat all the way down on the new sprocket teeth but it works fine. I could see an overly cautious shop telling you that.

Hopefully you have a good mechanic though, mine had never even heard of this mod and he thought he knew everything about every yamaha ever made. After an idle problem with a severly freighed throttle cable he never found and charged me $80 for doing nothing (I found the throttle cable problem after the idle started acting up the next time I took it out to ride). Turns out he's just a dumbass.

If you have any time at all, get a manual and some tools. Not much on these bikes are that complicated.

• JMathis

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:22 PM

There is no reason why that cam would not work in your bike. What dealership told you that so I can make sure I do not go to them for any work. I installed an 03 YZ cam in my 02 WR about a year and a half ago and it has been great. It is not difficult to install, you should do it yourself. My dealership offered to do it for me in Columbus but I prefered to do it myself.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.