Making a crf450r street legal

23 replies to this topic
  • moti

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Has anyone made a crf450r street legal?Please get back to me.Thanks.

• amberjax

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:33 PM

I'M looking to do the same thing to mine. I thought of getting the stator re-wound and then buying 450X front number plate with light and rear fender. There is a ride I want to go on every fall but they require a street legal bike. The other problem is getting the bike registered etc. in order to get a legal tag for the street.

• midpack

Posted February 16, 2006 - 07:26 PM

Go to Baja Designs. I think thats what it's called. They make kits for the CRF.

• midpack

Posted February 16, 2006 - 07:42 PM

To irritate people like you. I race moto but once a year go to Colorado to trail ride. To be legal your bike has to be street legal.

• chondamx

Posted February 16, 2006 - 08:15 PM

Stop the bashing :thumbsup: . He had a perfectly good question and I'm sure he was wanting answers not your opinions. It's his bike and he can do what he wants with it, it wasn't your $7,000 spent on it so why do you care?

OK, anyways, yes Baja designs makes dual sport kits. They usually run around $400-500 from what I've seen. Good luck to you on making the project a success :thumbsup:

Chris

• cfoxtrot

Posted February 17, 2006 - 03:06 AM

Has anyone made a crf450r street legal?Please get back to me.Thanks.

I'm working on doing that now, I am looking at kits through Baja Designs and/or picking up the components separately, Trailtech.net is another good source.

Good Luck,
Chris

• Jrocket

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:21 PM

First off a dual sport DRZ400s is less than a new crf450r,but thats besides the point.The point is that they bought a bike and want to do something with the bike that THEY bought and now they have come here to ask for help in doing so.They're not asking to convert your bike so either help them or dont make your own stupid posts.

Now onto making it street legal.Check with your local laws,can be done online easily then call baja designs and other companies to get the tail light and turn signal kits figured out.Some states want an inspection done,others dont.If an inspection is needed ,then you will need dot tires as well.The only thing that would stop me from making the crf450R into a dual sport is if you ride at fast highway speeds alot or for long periods of time.I would want more engine and tranny oil and coolers if you do.They're made for racing,not long high speed road trips.Another thing that I would want to change and this is only a maybe is the triple clamps.DRZ's have a more relaxed(lazy) turning style where as the crf is built to turn fast,(race).I would run the chain as long as possible and drop the forks as low as I could to get the bike to settle down more on the street.

Hope that helps some.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 18, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Beware. There have been more than just a few guys that have had trans problems after they've D/S'd thier CRF'Rs. Seems that running 5th gear (for extended periods) is under oiled and seizes on the shaft.

• lacofdfireman

Posted February 18, 2006 - 08:04 PM

Here is my 04 CRF 450R that I have dual sported. I have a Trick Dual Sport kit with a Trail Tech rewound stator. I really like the bike just for the fact that I can ride it to work if wanted or take it to the MX track or just use it to connect one trail to another via a paved road legally. I started it off with Utah plates but it now has California Tags.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the bike with the Yellow Plastics
Posted Image

• honda891

Posted February 20, 2006 - 06:51 PM

whats with the yamaha front fender?

• SIEKMANN

Posted February 21, 2006 - 06:00 PM

if i had the money to change my 05 crf450r into a street leagal bike, i might jsut do that, how fun would it be to ride to class and then go off raoding after that?

• Kenaroo

Posted February 21, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Beware. There have been more than just a few guys that have had trans problems after they've D/S'd thier CRF'Rs. Seems that running 5th gear (for extended periods) is under oiled and seizes on the shaft.

Yep the tranny starts sounding funny after about 15 mins on the freeway.

Make sure you add 100 to 200 cc more oil in the trans side before doing longer high speed rides. nothing to be too worried about. but if you hear it whinning you need to back off and let the oil regroup. if that happens you need to add more oil.

I'd made my own DS kit from buying the flywheel, rectifier and handlebar switch from Trail tech, the stator form Elextrex, acerbis ds lights from ebay. Making my own wiring harness.

everything was under $450 including stator and flywheel

The only thing I would do different is buck up and spend the money for the Baja Designs LED rear tail light. very nice and has more support to the fender.

The only negetive I have with DSing the CFR is the rear fender is a little floppy with the plate and lights and needs support. I'm currently working on a Fiberglass stiffner for mine and will post when I'm done.

• gr8jboy

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:45 AM

I am researching the CRF450R dual sport kits also. I have a 2005. I bought the bike in CA for desert riding and recently moved to OR and want to ride the bike a few miles on the street to connect to the dirt. The main problem I am having is finding good DOT dual sport tires that fit a 19 inch rear wheel. I would like to stay with the stock wheel after all the other expenses that are accumulating.

• TrackAdaptor

Posted March 05, 2006 - 12:03 PM

The Calif. DMV Rule to street Legal a bike;
(Green Sticker or Red Sticker)

17 vin. numbers: 8th digit, from left to right;
If you have 3 or C , DMV will not issue a plate :thumbsup:

DMV Forms: REG 256 & REG 343
Brake & Light Certification Required - most auto repair shops can do this...

Been there done that... :bonk:

Next step is to call the CARB and have a "referee" look at bike and try for a Green Sticker , then try and street legal bike :thumbsup:

• INI

Posted March 06, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Trackadaptor,
Can you post the link where you can get DMVforms online...

DMV Forms: REG 256 & REG 343
Brake & Light Certification Required - most auto repair shops can do this

ALso

The VIN issue and CA DMV is not user freindly

Im looking at getting my 06 plated so i can have a matching pair....

thanks for your help and knowledge...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• TrackAdaptor

Posted March 06, 2006 - 02:36 PM

http://www.dmv.ca.go...s/formsmost.htm

• TrackAdaptor

Posted March 06, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Here is my 04 CRF 450R that I have dual sported. I have a Trick Dual Sport kit with a Trail Tech rewound stator. I really like the bike just for the fact that I can ride it to work if wanted or take it to the MX track or just use it to connect one trail to another via a paved road legally. I started it off with Utah plates but it now has California Tags.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the bike with the Yellow Plastics
Posted Image

Can you give step by step details how you did this ? Reference links as well..

• INI

Posted March 06, 2006 - 02:53 PM

thanks for the fast response.....

will keep you posted on what happens

• TrackAdaptor

Posted March 06, 2006 - 03:18 PM

thanks for the fast response.....

will keep you posted on what happens

Plesae do, when I tried with my buddies Red Sticker CRF 2004 the DMV said No....

• lacofdfireman

Posted March 06, 2006 - 03:23 PM

Can you give step by step details how you did this ? Reference links as well..

Not a problem.

First off purchased the bike. Did not have my name on the title. I had my brother in law in Utah put his name on the bike and get insurance on the bike and register to him in utah as a dual sport bike with over 4k miles. Left it in Utah registered and insured as a dual sport in Utah for over 6 months while I borrowed it technically and rode it in Cali. My name was never on the title at this time. After 6 months he basically sold it back to me as a dual sport with over 4k miles. I took the title to DMV and they handed me plates. The DMV also said thank you for having all your paperwork done properly. If it's not registered out of state somewhere else as a dual sport with over 4k miles I think you will have alot of problems trying to get a plate in Cali. Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2007 crf450 stuck in gear by Jackthomas1989

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

06 crf450r by tw191

• Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

2002 Crf450r by missouri-man

• Hot  30 replies
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.