XR650L questions

11 replies to this topic
  • gagster1960

Posted February 16, 2006 - 04:31 PM

Hello, I love this forum and it has great info.

I bought a '95 model from my cousin with about 9600 miles on it. It does not want to start when the engine is cold. Even at 70F it doesn't want to start. The colder it is outside the harder it becomes. Once warm, it starts as soon as I touch the button. I had to clean the jets because it had sat and it runs great otherwise.

It is completely stock except that it has a larger (48 tooth?) rear sprocket and cousin cut out the baffle on the end of the exhaust pipe. I put a new air filter in it. I know you should not open the throttle when choking it. I sprayed carb cleaner in the choke circuit several times. I know the choke cable is working and it snaps back closed when released. I have it threaded into the carb body and tightened. It gets about 42 mpg with a mix of trail riding and highway. It runs strong. 2nd gear wheelies are a twist away. It pulled 90 the other day and still accelerating. my cousin said it would do about 95 with the lower gearing.

• motometal

Posted February 16, 2006 - 04:35 PM

are you using fresh fuel? Due to the low compression these have with the auto decompression, they tend to be very sensitive to stale gas. If mine sits for a month or so, it's a waste of time to even try to start it but if I drain the fuel out of the float bowl (with the petcock off) using the drain screw on the bottom, then let fresh fuel in by opening the petcock, it fires right off.

• vfourmax

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I have found that if the bike is going to sit for more than a few days that to keep it from being hard to start is prior to cutting the bike off when you are putting it away is to turn off the fuel petcock and let the bike run itself out of gas. Then when you go to restart it turn on the petcock and you will have fresher gas out of the tank and no problems with restarting. I know this does not sound like it makes a lot of sense but it works and since I started to store my bike this way no problems on restarting even if it sits for a month or more where prior to doing this even sitting a week and it could be a bear to get started for the first time and the colder it was the worse the problem seemed. Also with the exhaust being modified on your bike it may be causing a lean condition which could compound the problem even further as even from the factory to pass EPA regs the bikes are way lean to start with so rejetting may help some also.

• ewbish

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:44 PM

Classic sympton of a too lean low speed circuit. You can either bust the tab off the fuel/air screw or get the next size bigger pilot jet.

• gagster1960

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:56 PM

Well, guys thanks for your input but I drained the tank and put fresh gas in first thing. I know it has good gas. I have run about 4-5 gallons through it in the last 2 weeks.

I don't know about the pilot jet. My cousin said that it would start easily down to about 5 degrees F when he had it. So I believe there is something wrong. Maybe I didn't get the choke passages cleaned out even with the carb cleaner.

• ewbish

Posted February 17, 2006 - 04:42 AM

Well, guys thanks for your input but I drained the tank and put fresh gas in first thing. I know it has good gas. I have run about 4-5 gallons through it in the last 2 weeks.

I don't know about the pilot jet. My cousin said that it would start easily down to about 5 degrees F when he had it. So I believe there is something wrong. Maybe I didn't get the choke passages cleaned out even with the carb cleaner.

Cold weather = leaner
Lower elevation = leaner

Yes, you could have a piece of crud in your pilot jet as well. If your cousin had it at a higher elevation, it would have different starting/running habits. The 650L comes from the factory way lean anyway, open pipe and airbox plus cold weather on stock jetting would almost certaintly point at a lean condition.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gagster1960

Posted February 17, 2006 - 05:57 PM

Yes, my cousin lives in wester Ky and I am in SE Missouri--same elevation at about 200 ft above sea level.

If I don't get it going soon, I may put a Mikuni from XR's only on it. To heck with the Keihin.

• gagster1960

Posted February 19, 2006 - 05:36 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong with my carb? I've tried on 4strokes.com and they haven't come up with an answer either.

Thank you.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Gagster,

There is nothing wrong with your carb. You simply need to enrichen the bike by adding a larger pilot and main jet by installing larger Kehein jets (available from your local Honda dealer) or buying a carb kit and installing it. The kits are he simplest way to go but more pricey than just the jets alone. Overall I woud step back and loook at what has been done to your bike and what remains to be done to "uncork it" it sounds as though it is half way there with the pipe and airbox mods, making it lean and thus the problems you are encountering. Leaning out a bike already very lean from the factory only makes things worse.

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Dirty pilot jet... take it to a mechanic if you can't figure it out... throwing a carb at it cause you don't understand the problem is nuts !

• SDBSKI

Posted February 20, 2006 - 12:35 PM

CHECK THE VALVE CLEARANCE. Sorry for yelling but Hondas are hard starting or won't start cold with low/no clearance at the valves. :thumbsup:

• desert4seat

Posted February 20, 2006 - 02:06 PM

i agree...check the valves!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.