06 Carb. Access

6 replies to this topic
  • kxman

Posted February 16, 2006 - 02:47 PM

I am picking up a new 06 YZ450 F in the morning. I have read the jetting advise on here about going to a 48 pilot and 170 main. I will be doing this before I even ride. There was some discussion about the easiest way to access the bottom of the carb. What is the easiest way to get to these jets?

Thanks,
Steve

• matt116

Posted February 16, 2006 - 04:09 PM

You can change both of them through the drain hole. A 1/4" drive 6mm short socket will get the main jet and short screwdriver like a 1 1/2" long will get the pilot. You can also pull the hot start and roll the carb over to get to the pilot.

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 16, 2006 - 04:28 PM

remove the seat, tank/shrouds as one unit, then remove the upper motor mounts.

unscrew the clamps on the carb boot and then rotate it., Remove the bottom drain bolt and you have access to both the pilot and main.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:52 PM

I am picking up a new 06 YZ450 F in the morning. I have read the jetting advise on here about going to a 48 pilot and 170 main. I will be doing this before I even ride. There was some discussion about the easiest way to access the bottom of the carb. What is the easiest way to get to these jets?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve the easiest/quickest way is this:
I loosen the allenheads on eachside of the carb - at the boots(as they used to be called)these tighten the seal.
Rotate the carb as far as it will rotate up - gaining access to the float bowl..it does not move much (but just enough)
Remove the 17mm floatbowl drainplug
Lay the bike over on it side - or from the stand lay the bike over to the right (like I do) with the handlebars as low as possible. I put a towel under the grip/front brake for protection/padding.
You now have quick access and a line of sight to the PJ which is the more difficult of the 2 (PJ and MJ)to remove and reinstall.

Entire process..........3.5min w/o break :thumbsup:
KXMan .... welcome to the Yami forum! :thumbsup:

• riderman329

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:04 PM

while your down there you should put in a msr or zip ty fuel screw

• WR450F_RDR

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:17 PM

has anyone else had a problem with their Zip tye coming loose? I have one in my WR too and it is always tight. I one I bought for my YZ seems pretty loose in the carb, and always seems to come loose after a while. I may just go back to the stock unit and use a screwdriver. As for access, get a Motion Pro carb tool set for the FCR carb, best $12.00 ever spent.

• kxman

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome. Looking forward to a 3 hour trip in the morning to pick her up. I ride woods and just last night sold my 2000 KX250. It was a very good bike for me. I haven't been riding dirt nearly as much the last couple of years. Hope this new bike gets me back into it again.
I also ride sport bikes. Current sport bike is a 2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 K5 that i bought new last spring. Anyone else in here ride sport bikes?

steve

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.