Do I have to use Yamalube in my 426 ?

25 replies to this topic
  • WeeeRacing

Posted February 15, 2006 - 11:31 PM

Of course the manual say you absolutely must use Yamalube, and so will the guys at my dealer, but what do you guys think ? Is it necessary to use it ? What other oils are good ?
thanks

• Tooliemxer

Posted February 15, 2006 - 11:37 PM

I used 4 stroke quakerstate and didn't have any problems ,just change the oil every 3 rides. :thumbsup:

• Fizz

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:52 AM

i use Castrol GPS, semi-synthetic i think ... i change every 5 hours, better to often than to seldom ...

• 642MX

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:09 AM

Keeping clean oil in a YZF will greatly improve engine life, no matter what brand of oil it is.

BTW, I use Shell Rotella.

• obxnc

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:31 AM

I use Motul synthetic blend. My local shop guy said to run what has been running in it and don't go swapping brands/types. The guy I bought my bike from used Motul, so that is what I will use..

I guess you can use whatever brand you like, but stick with it. Just make sure you use oil for motorcycles and not automobile oil...

• palmdaleRider

Posted February 16, 2006 - 07:00 AM

I use the largest cheapest sheit I can find at Walmart. Meat is meat, parts is parts, and oil is oil. Besides, bikes wind up in deep gullies twisted and broken long before cheap oil is going to have any effect. :thumbsup:

• Fizz

Posted February 16, 2006 - 07:15 AM

Meat is meat, parts is parts, and oil is oil.

as long as it has the same specificaton as the recommended Yamalube, its the same ... :thumbsup:

and no one will ever be able to prove that your breakdown was because of the oil anyway ... :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 16, 2006 - 07:18 AM

I use Bel Ray Thumper Racing.

I will fight anyone that says differently. :thumbsup:

• viking_in_wa

Posted February 16, 2006 - 11:14 AM

I use royal purple synthetic oil, they have a blend just for bikes with wet clutch systems. gets a little spendy @ $6.00 a quart but my bike is worth it.

• Fizz

Posted February 16, 2006 - 11:22 AM

I use royal purple synthetic oil, they have a blend just for bikes with wet clutch systems. gets a little spendy @ $6.00 a quart but my bike is worth it.

do you know what Castrol GPS costs in USA? :thumbsup:

i pay like $12 per liter over here, which makes my oil changes pretty expensive, app. 30 bucks with the oil filter ... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rich1167

Posted February 16, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Checker carries a 4 stroke motorcycle Valvoline that I use.

• viking_in_wa

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:16 PM

not sure bout that particular oil here but i think pound for pound oil is priced close to same all over.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 16, 2006 - 01:34 PM

Castrol GPS goes for about US $7.25/litre here in Boise (Idaho).

• DRH

Posted February 16, 2006 - 03:13 PM

No you don't, but Yamalube is about average in price. You can pay more but in all probability you wouldn't be doing your bike any big favor. I know originally The Yamaha people DID NOT want synthetic oil usage in the engine, the main reason was clutch slippage. Even some of the MX magizines said to stay away from the synthetic oils in Yamahas'

• Ga426owner

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Of course the manual say you absolutely must use Yamalube, and so will the guys at my dealer, but what do you guys think ? Is it necessary to use it ? What other oils are good ?
thanks

NO....lots of other choices.....do a search on "Oil"......
remember the manual is a guideline......especially for 2smokes.......20:1 fuel ratios.... :thumbsup:

• Wyatt

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Amsoil.

• Liquelo

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:25 PM

http://www.yft.org/t...fr/tech/oil.htm

• XriderR00

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:51 PM

do you know what Castrol GPS costs in USA? :thumbsup:

i pay like $12 per liter over here, which makes my oil changes pretty expensive, app. 30 bucks with the oil filter ... :thumbsup:

Haha, poor bastard :bonk:

• kzoo

Posted February 17, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Amsoil 10W-40

• DRH

Posted February 18, 2006 - 12:08 PM

New issue of Dirt Rdier arrived today via the mail. They say no SYNTHETIC OIL in the 4 strokes other than the Hondas. These oils cause transmission slippage which increases heat and breaksdown the clutch assembly. Honda can use it because the transmission and crank case are two seperate systems. But they don't recommend the synthetic oil in Honda transmissions either....

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.