my new 426

26 replies to this topic
  • kid on a 426

Posted February 15, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Yesterday i bought a very slightly used 200 yz426 its pretty stock except reanthal bars, frame guards, sidewinder sprocket, and pro moto billet end cap
http://bikepics.com/pictures/522491/
http://bikepics.com/pictures/522494/
http://bikepics.com/pictures/522495/
tell me what you think about it and post some pics of your bikes :thumbsup:

Posted February 15, 2006 - 06:50 PM

Holy crap, that thing is imaculate nice find. How much if you don't nind me asking?

• jrcgaf364

Posted February 15, 2006 - 06:52 PM

damn dogg what a find. beautifulllllllll

• cowboyona426

Posted February 15, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Nice looking scoot! Let me give you a few pointers, since I'm the self-appointed 426 guru here on TT:

03 YZ 450 exhaust cam mod- best $ you'll spend
01 clutch update- improves the clutch a lot
Front brakes are weak stock- get a Honda CRF master cylinder and CR style SS line
If you ride in deep water ever, T-vent the carb
Ditch the Renthals, get Pro Tapers
And most importantly- enjoy the new bike!!! The 00 426 is a great bike, you'll love it.

• Raven1911

Posted February 15, 2006 - 09:23 PM

Super clean man! Nice!

• 426_Texan

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:00 AM

Very nice find indeed :thumbsup:

Listen to Cowboy, he IS the guru :thumbsup:

Although I would do the clutch mod first, just because it's an eaiser and cheaper mod :bonk:

• kid on a 426

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:32 PM

Well i have one question i was riding it around on the street about an hour ago and it was popping like crazy even idling sitting still. It might be because its like 38 degrees out but i was looking at the carb and i saw a red billet cover on the bottom of the carb im not sure what is is but i think it might be one of those anti bog things. Also i would like to know if its worth getting new jetting and a zip ty fuel screw. I noticed right away that it is geared WAY to high even though its a 14 51 im thinking about going to a 13 50 because im a hillclimber and trail rider.

• kid on a 426

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Holy crap, that thing is imaculate nice find. How much if you don't nind me asking?

Well it was 3000 that might not sound good to u guys but here in california this bike is worth more than a 2003 because the whole dam green sticker thing

• cowboyona426

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:39 PM

kid- if you like trails, try 13/52 gearing (which is about the same as 12/49). The red cover on the carb- is it right in the bottom of the center of the carb? If so, that's a ZipTy magnetic carb drain plug. I've never seen a red AP cover. Go to the motoman393 site and read up on the BK/GB mod and buy an 01 needle- OBEKR I believe. That will help the 00 out a lot. Also, being that it is really cold, the popping is probably because the jetting is way off for the temp right now, so don't sweat it too much.

• kid on a 426

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Nice looking scoot! Let me give you a few pointers, since I'm the self-appointed 426 guru here on TT:

03 YZ 450 exhaust cam mod- best $ you'll spend
01 clutch update- improves the clutch a lot
Front brakes are weak stock- get a Honda CRF master cylinder and CR style SS line
If you ride in deep water ever, T-vent the carb
Ditch the Renthals, get Pro Tapers
And most importantly- enjoy the new bike!!! The 00 426 is a great bike, you'll love it.

those are very good ideas but im a little tight on cash so im gonna get an 01 header of ebay so i dont have to take it off to get to the filter and im gonna get some emgo handguards of dennis kirk and maybe some unibiker radiator braces oh and the rear sprocket is trashed so i got 2 get new sprockets and since the counter sprockets are so cheap ill just go to a 13 50 so i dont have 2 splice in links

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted February 17, 2006 - 08:55 PM

If your sprocket is shot, the chain is likely toast too. Rocky Mountain MC usually has chain/sprocket sets that are cheap, but I don't know what the quality is like. I think the $ you would spend on an 01 header could be better spent on something else, it's really not that big of a deal to remove the header to check/change the filter. You could probably buy the 01 clutch parts for the price of the 01 header. The T-vents are nearly a freebie, if you ride in water at all seriously consider doing that. Works Connection rad braces work good, and occasionally used sets pop up on Ebay. Good luck, you are going to love that bike!

• kid on a 426

Posted February 17, 2006 - 09:01 PM

actually the chain is almost brand new but the rear sprocket is kinda bad but it could make a few more rides and how much are the clutch parts because ive seen headers on ebay for thirty bucks and im not quite sure what a t vent is and no i try to avoid water as much as possible so i dont really need them also ive been steered clear of works connection braces i thought they were really thin and werent very strong and thanks i definitly will love the bike considering im gonna have to keep it for eight more years

• calvin71

Posted March 13, 2006 - 04:10 PM

Where Did You Get THe Graphic KIt At? Very Very Clean Bike! :thumbsup:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted March 13, 2006 - 06:04 PM

I am not a expert on a yz426f but my freind also bought a 01 yz426f it has just a little more wear than yours. Nice bike. The red button you are talkin about i think is the hot start lever. it leans it out for hot starts. It would not be good if its pulled while riding. That would also creat the condition you described. Maybe i misundersood your question.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted March 13, 2006 - 06:04 PM

I am not a expert on a yz426f but my freind also bought a 01 yz426f it has just a little more wear than yours. Nice bike. The red button you are talkin about i think is the hot start lever. it leans it out for hot starts. It would not be good if its pulled while riding. That would also creat the condition you described. Maybe i misundersood your question. How much did you pay? My buddy got his for $2150. I thought thats cheap.

• kid on a 426

Posted March 13, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Where Did You Get THe Graphic KIt At? Very Very Clean Bike! :thumbsup:

Stock graphics and plastics except the front fender

The red button you are talkin about i think is the hot start lever. it leans it out for hot starts. It would not be good if its pulled while riding. That would also creat the condition you described. Maybe i misundersood your question.

I figured out that its a accelerator pump cover. Its a factory R and D

How much did you pay? My buddy got his for $2150. I thought thats cheap.

It was $3000 but thats not too bad for CA especially the part I live in EVERYTHING is more expensive like a 2000 square foot house with a regular sized yard could go for $800,000

• Yamahammmer

Posted March 13, 2006 - 08:56 PM

I just got an '01 426 and she pops too, also when I stop during a ride to
wait for the guys, the idle goes up real fast, or sometimes drops down
real low to want to die. It runs excellent when I'm riding w/o any issues
and starts right up everytime. This is my first 4 banger after decades of
rippin' 2-smoker's. Cowboy? You da guru and I'm askin' fo yo hep' or
anybody dat knows what da haps is? I'm in California, too, and it's 38-40
where I'm at, too?

• kid on a 426

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:17 PM

I heard the jd jet kit is the way to go

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 16, 2006 - 07:55 PM

bike looks extremely clean. cool bike!
i recomend a flywheel weight for trail riding, i personally dont like to change the factory gearing more than 1 tooth in the rear on these bikes as it takes too much away from the top speed in the the gear that you are in. these bikes have so much torque that with a flywheel weight you can lug-muscle your way through most anything and still get some decent speed without shifting to much.(my 04 450 can go as slow as 6 miles an hour to 28 miles an hour in first gear according to my trailtech)
when trail riding i am able to pretty much pick a gear in most sections and stay there.
have fun nice bike :thumbsup:

• minerbill

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:38 PM

Proper jetting, Exhaust cam mods are the best thing I've ever to a bike. Grey wire, foot pegs, pumper timing limiter also were good. I just installed a Rekluse clutch but I'm sure that will be a winner too. Good luck and enjoy your bike!

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.