Fork weirdness ?

6 replies to this topic
  • TeamScream

Posted September 21, 2001 - 11:09 AM

I have a weird little clunk when I hold the front brake and push down on the handlebars (compressing the front forks about 2 1/2 inches) it is very strange but seems NOT right..anyone else have these issues?

------------------
01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #2,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#172 Main,BK mod,stock pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal,Pure SuperMotard 17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,

• TeamScream

Posted September 21, 2001 - 11:12 AM

I better elaborate a little...this appears to be comming from the fork tube itself and not from the caliper or wheel.....so this is more of a "hey anyone have issues with the forks' question than anything else.

------------------
01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #2,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#172 Main,BK mod,stock pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal,Pure SuperMotard 17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,

• Hick

Posted September 21, 2001 - 12:04 PM

Are you sure it isn’t your steering stem? If the castle-nut looking thing under your top clamp isn’t snug you will have some play between the stem and bearings/frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamScream

Posted September 21, 2001 - 08:21 PM

THis is fairly bizarre but I did find out what it was....There is SIGNIFICANT play between the rotor and the carrier (the piece that actually bolts to the hub) via the "floater" rings, so when I apply front brake HARD enough to lock up the wheel, it actually takes up the slack between these floater rings and causes a little clunk....this cannot be right, not on a bike that is 3 weeks old that has less than 6 hours on it total?

------------------

• Taffy

Posted September 21, 2001 - 09:51 PM

this would have been perfectly normal on my roadracer. the disc and carrier would expand at different rates. great when hot!

don't know about the Y2K+ i believe they changed the brake set up.

Taffy

• MX_Tuner

Posted September 23, 2001 - 04:20 AM

Without the play between teh rotor and the carrier, the rotor wouldn't "float" properly.

The noise is normal.

------------------
MX Tuner

• john_pearce

Posted September 24, 2001 - 05:29 AM

HI TEAMSCREEM

PROMISE NOT TO LAUGH TOO LOUDLY , BUT RECENTLY I ALSO HAD THIS ANNOYING CLUNK TYPE NOISE COMMING FORM WHAT I THOUGHT WAS MY FORK TUBES.IT HAPPENED AT APPROX 2-3 INCHES OF TRAVEL. SO I BEGAN TO TIGHTEN DOWN EVERYTHING
BUT TO NO EVAIL.SO OUT CAME THE FRONT END AND
HEY THE NOISE HAD WHILST OPPERATING THE FORKS ON THE BENCH???.SO THE FRONT END WENT BACK IN AND TORQUED UP NICELY. THEN AS I OPENED MY EYES I NOTICED THAT I HAD MY DISC LOCK ON THE
REAR DISC , SO AFTER A FEW HOURS , SOME CURSING AND A FEW BEERS I REMOVED THE LOCK TO
FIND IT WAS THIS BASTARD RESONATING RIGHT THROUGH THE BIKE. I WAS REALLY CONVINCED IT WAS FROM THE FRONT END.
BEST OF LUCK

JOHN
PORTSMOUTH ENGLAND

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.