xl600 spark question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 replies to this topic
  • soccermania688

Posted February 15, 2006 - 02:55 PM

i have a 1987 honda xl600r and it runs great, when its running! i have a quick question when i check for spark and kick it over it only sparks if i kick it really fast but wont spark if i kick it like normal to slow speed! does that mean i could have a bad pick-up coil. it has a new coil and a newer CDI i just changed, but it has been doing this since i got it! is this normal, because i have a hard starting issue!

• brichter

Posted February 15, 2006 - 02:56 PM

i have a 1987 honda xl600r and it runs great, when its running! i have a quick question when i check for spark and kick it over it only sparks if i kick it really fast but wont spark if i kick it like normal to slow speed! does that mean i could have a bad pick-up coil. it has a new coil and a newer CDI i just changed, but it has been doing this since i got it! is this normal, because i have a hard starting issue!

what is "normal-speed" kicking?

• soccermania688

Posted February 15, 2006 - 03:32 PM

not really normal but pushing the kick starter with you hand pretty fast with the spark plug out so its easty to push so its pretty fast but not as fast as if you were kicking it with your foot

• brichter

Posted February 15, 2006 - 04:39 PM

not really normal but pushing the kick starter with you hand pretty fast with the spark plug out so its easty to push so its pretty fast but not as fast as if you were kicking it with your foot

the pulse to the CDI is generated by moving the trigger piece past the pole of the pulse generator. The voltage generated is directly proportional to the speed at which you move the trigger past the pulse generator's pole, so your hand cranking may not be fast enough to generate enough of a signal.

Does it have fat blue spark when you kick it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • soccermania688

Posted February 15, 2006 - 04:54 PM

it has a blue spark but its not really fat i guess

• Plane crazy

Posted March 08, 2006 - 02:12 PM

I have the same situation, seems like a week spark, not big and fat. Bike has been hard starting recently and over the years has had stalling and poor idle issues during the warm up phase. I have gone over the carbs many times, I have replaced the idle bypass diaphram, I have changed the timing chain, lapped valves and new rings. I have now moved on to the ingnition, I have changed out the CDI with one from another bike, I have now focused on the stator assembly, I understand that these stators can become weak over time. I will keep you posted if a new stator works.

Scott

• Xr650rhonda

Posted March 08, 2006 - 03:45 PM

I would focus on the ignition coil, clean the connections to it and where it mounts to the frame for ground! I would also buy a new ignition cap ($5) yours is due. If a bright blue spark does not return with a new gapped plug, then check for primary and secondary resistance of your ignition coil with your meter.
I have never seen a pulse generator coil fail, it's job is to tell the CDI when to spark. My money is on the spark plug cap or bad connections-keep us posted.

• Plane crazy

Posted March 08, 2006 - 05:39 PM

I have the coil on my bench now, bewteen the two leads (primary winding, black and green) I get .2 ohms; clymer says should be .8 ohms but I don't always trust clymer.

From the HT plug lead to either input terminal (black and green) I get 8k ohms; clymer says should be 4k ohms but there is a small resistor/fuseable link in the plug cap which my meter reads 4k ohms, so that makes sense, 4+4=8k ohms total.

Perhaps my primary is toast but I don't know what the resistance readings really should be, does anybody know for sure?

Scott

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.