WR450... a good wife bike??

21 replies to this topic
  • Jim_bo

Posted February 15, 2006 - 07:25 AM

When contemplating a new wife bike, I was limiting my choices to the obvious... WR250, CR250X, EXC250. However, a flash came to me at the dealer when I realized the 06 WR450 had a lower seat height, was more narrow, and felt less top heavy than all the 250s! Then, I remember my 03WR450 when it was new. All corked up, it had 250-like power. So, the question is.... would a WR450, left somewhat corked, make a good wife bike?

Jimbo

• dbailey223

Posted February 15, 2006 - 07:41 AM

Probably depends upon your wife's riding experience and her height/strength. My wife at 5'2", not gonna work.

• Matty05

Posted February 15, 2006 - 07:48 AM

When contemplating a new wife bike, I was limiting my choices to the obvious... WR250, CR250X, EXC250. However, a flash came to me at the dealer when I realized the 06 WR450 had a lower seat height, was more narrow, and felt less top heavy than all the 250s! Then, I remember my 03WR450 when it was new. All corked up, it had 250-like power. So, the question is.... would a WR450, left somewhat corked, make a good wife bike?

Jimbo

My girl liked my 450 better than her 250 before they were modded. :bonk:

It had lots of grunt to lug around. The 250 has no bottom, a hard hit late in the midrange, then signs off early. Not what you call learner friendly.

The mods I have done to her bike were to make it easy for her to ride. This was basically to get bottom end and smooth out the power. I got a gyt-r pipe and a vortex ignition for it, it has a crap load of power now, but it is smooth and somewhat linear. I also got the suspension lowered, new springs and revalved for her too.

She loves her bike more than mine, but she does like unleashing the 50 or so horses now and again! :thumbsup:

Bottom line - I would still get her a WR250, easier for her to handle, just need a slip-on muffler and free mods. Lowering the bike is a big confidence boost, these Yamaha's have the highest seat heights out of all the dirtbikes. :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted February 15, 2006 - 07:51 AM

Probably depends upon your wife's riding experience and her height/strength. My wife at 5'2", not gonna work.

Just height I would say. My girl is 5'10" and still had trouble touching the ground.
She is also about 110lbs, so she is weak. Can still ride a bike pretty good now. Still weak! :thumbsup:

• baha

Posted February 15, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like foot work for a insurance collection

Sorry bad joke but I had too

• freestyle250

Posted February 15, 2006 - 09:37 AM

my girlfriend is 5'-10" and very athletic. she rides my 450, but i would be very weary of letting her take it on a trail. But i think if she had a higher level of experience, she could probably handle it. So if shes starting out, go 250. But if she can climb hills and wheelie over fallen trees, get the 450

• Jim_bo

Posted February 15, 2006 - 04:49 PM

You guys are all missing my point.

My point is that if the WR450 is left somewhat corked up, it has similar power to a 250. However, it has a lower seat height, more narrow tank and a lighter feel than the 250's. Saying things like "it depends on how tall she is" makes no sense when the WR450 has a lower seat height than the 250's. If there was a 250 out there that felt as good as the WR450, that would be a no-brainer. However, given its size and feel, is there any reason why the 450 wouldn't make a good wife bike (assuming that a 250 would)?

Jimbo

• Matty05

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:15 PM

You guys are all missing my point.

My point is that if the WR450 is left somewhat corked up, it has similar power to a 250. However, it has a lower seat height, more narrow tank and a lighter feel than the 250's. Saying things like "it depends on how tall she is" makes no sense when the WR450 has a lower seat height than the 250's. If there was a 250 out there that felt as good as the WR450, that would be a no-brainer. However, given its size and feel, is there any reason why the 450 wouldn't make a good wife bike (assuming that a 250 would)?

Jimbo

Yes it would make a good wife bike stock, but yes the seat height is the problem, not the power. The power is great for her. :thumbsup:

If your wife can sit on the bike and touch the ground with both feet, sweet. if not, you are going to have problems, big problems. Speaking from experience here. They need two feet touching the ground otherwise they will drop the bike a million times. They get the shits when they have to pick up a bike, when they have to pick it up heaps, that's when they quit.

The WR450 seat height is still higher than any other bike It's 38" (965mm), but yes it is lower than the WR250, which is 38.4" (975mm).

The CRF250X has a seat height of 37.7" (957mm), which is nearly an inch lower than the WR250. This still might not be low enough for her.

I got her bike lowered 2" and a bit (55mm) when I got her suspension done.
Problem solved. She can touch the ground with the balls of her feet, but not flat footed. This gave her WAY more confidence and doesn't go so friggin slow now.

Get her to sit on the bikes. if she can touch the ground with both feet, you are good to go.

• Just034

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:19 PM

It is cheaper than a hit man

• Charlie175

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:23 PM

The 450 comes in at 259 and the 250 at 230, that's 29 lbs of added weight. The 450 would have to be more top heavy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:25 PM

I thought you were referring to having your wife ride your 03 WR 450, which is tall. Why buy a new one if you have one, unless you wanted to get the lower seat height? Unless it would be cheaper to lower the 03.

So, that was the basis of my post.

• Matty05

Posted February 15, 2006 - 06:01 PM

The 450 comes in at 259 and the 250 at 230, that's 29 lbs of added weight. The 450 would have to be more top heavy.

It is not really, where do you think all the weight is in these bikes?

• jaggley

Posted February 16, 2006 - 02:51 AM

I love my '04 WR450, but it is a fat pig. It is not a state fair sow like a DRZ or anything, but unless your chick is kinda manly, she should steer clear. I am 6'3" and 240, and it can wear me down. I have the rekluse setup and it made all the difference. If your woman can ride, she should ride a KTM two stroke, like a 200. Power at your command, light and a little shorter. You can throw that bike around, not the other way around.

• TARFELE

Posted February 16, 2006 - 06:38 AM

Hey Jim Bo,

In my opinion if she can start it by kicking, pick it up by herself and can have the majority of both feet on the ground she can ride it. Power control can be learned as we all know and corked is a dog. Physical control ie. starting(kicking) and lifting will be her problem.
Good luck on that choice.

• shocked

Posted February 16, 2006 - 07:02 AM

I just bought my wife a TTR230, great wife's bike. My wife is 5'4", so the WR250 & WR450 were out of the selection process when she tried sitting on them, way too tall.

• rlp1

Posted February 16, 2006 - 08:19 AM

A 2006 WR450F would probably be way too tall for your wife. It feels really tall to me, and I'm 5'10", 260 lbs. It feels like a big fat pig, too. I think a KTM 200 or a YZ125 or CRF250X would be a better choice.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted February 16, 2006 - 09:18 AM

The YZ125 seat height is taller than the WR450's seat height, and I think the Honda one is pretty close to the same as the WR. Not sure about the KTM.

I am looking for a bike for my girl as well and I have narrowed it down to a TTR 230 or 250 and a WR250 but would have to lower the WR cause she is only 5'2".

She has ridden my 450 but could not touch the ground so I had to hold the bike up for her when she started and catch her when she got back.

• GCannon

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:06 PM

If your wife is up for the idea then go for it. My wife is 5'10" 130 and atheletic she has been riding a ttr250 for 4 years now i got on her bike to check a carb problem she rode my bike (02 426) for the rest of the day and now i can't get her off of it. If it was not for the electric start I would never get my bike back. there is even talk of getting her a new WR450 it would weight less and handle better than what she has now. "What have I done?"

• WR450Guy

Posted February 16, 2006 - 12:39 PM

Good wife bike? Yeah, if you're trying to collect on her life insurance. :thumbsup: I can't imagine any woman under 5'9" feeling comfortable on a WR450. Even if the tall saddle wasn't a problem, you'e talking about a bike that is likely to weigh double what she does. The first time she has to pick it up alone will probably kill her. :thumbsup: Get her to try a TTR250. It has all the things she'll probably want. Low seat height, comfy saddle, good suspension, electric start and more than enough power for most anything she'll want to do. It has things you'll like, as well. It's cheap, relatively light, requires very little maintenance, is easy to work on, and hasn't changed much since 1999 making parts and accessories easy to get. Unless she's an awesome rider and you have the time to maintain hers and yours, a WR450 is probably not the right choice for either of you.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted February 16, 2006 - 01:08 PM

If your woman can ride, she should ride a KTM two stroke, like a 200. Power at your command, light and a little shorter. You can throw that bike around, not the other way around.

Agreed %100. I think a WR450 is way to heavy for a woman and even too heavy for some men. A hot 200 or even 125 2-Stroke would be ideal - Prroviding she is a decent rider. If not, a 200 or 125 2-stroke might be too much.

If you want an opinion from the opposite gender, repost on the Thumpette forum and I am sure they will give you some valuable input. There are quite a few good riding women out there...I remember seeing a post from the ladies that rated various bikes for women by their skill level.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.