New/Old XR600R

1 reply to this topic
  • M1Tanker

Posted February 15, 2006 - 12:00 AM

I just got a 1999 XR600R. The bike is in great shape; no scratches in the tank, a few on the front fender, unwrinkled seat foam, original tires with little wear, and the stock chain. Cost was $2,200. It was owned by a guy who had lots of bikes and didn't like it much so it sat at the back of his garage.

For what it is worth, the bike started on the first real kick after having sat outside in below freezing weather all day.

My question is, what sort of problems should I be looking for on a bike that has been sitting for a few (possibly a lot) of years?

I used to own an XL600V and got it with 1,000 miles when it was 7 years old. One of the floats sunk, the chain was dry-rotted, and the tires were all hard and plasticly from sitting.

In other news, I don't have a way to carry it to go ride. Any thoughts on the Class III hitch-mount bike carriers? Are they legal?

Thanks a bunch.

Steve :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nate992v

Posted February 15, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Drain the gas, clean the carb and air filter. Change the oil and filter. Check the chain to make sure that all the o-rings are there and in good shape and lubricated. It's a honda, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.