XR650L shopping list(tips?)

11 replies to this topic
  • xbreaka

Posted February 14, 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hi guys, first post here and so far it looks like a nice community,

My name is Eli, I am 15, live on cape cod mass and for the last 12 months my dad has been deployed to Iraq, for christmas he bought me a 01 XR650L from a friend of his he was stationed with, 16,000miles, 01 model with some modifications White Bros. Pipe, hand guards.

I am atm 5'11 and about 175pounds and needless to say the bike is a handful, expecially when I have to pick it up, but I am definetly willing to work through it and push the bike to its full potential even if it beats the crap out of me in weight department.

I have alot of friends who ride so they have been helping me alot luckily but they pointed me to various areas to try to see if their was any mods I can apply to my 650, so far this is what iv come up with.

Daves Carb Mod-
http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

Uni Air filter-
http://www.unifilter...rtmainpage.html

Baja Designs rejetting kit-
Carb, Dyno-Jet Kit XR650L

This is the Dynojet brand carburetor modification kit for the '93-on Honda XR650L. It designed to increase throttle response, make the bike pull harder, and lower operating temperatures. Kit comes with jets, adjustable needle, needle spring, and detailed installation instructions.

And some pirelli mt21 tires, because the stock ones seem to suck in the dirt

Now I just had a few quick questions, does removing the snorkel, and doing these mods void the street legality of the bike, because in a year when I can get my permit I was thinking of occasionaly taking it to school. Also I live in Mass, does that mean my bike still may possibly have a smog?

The jetting kit looks sold, but it also may look like it could interfere with daves carb mods. My friends who race and such are more than willing to help me with the basics, tires air filter but I will probably have the jetting and carb mod done by a mechanic who works on Xrs near me.

Alright, thanks for hearin me out guys and if I am doing anything wrong please let me know, and if they're are any mass people around here id love to find out some better places to ride thus far, all the places iv gone iv been chased by park rangers :thumbsup:

Thanks, Xbreaka

• GrayGhost

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Tell your Dad we thank him, for his service :thumbsup: , I have a son thats deployed, I can relate.
Now back to the bike, do Dave's mods and save a bunch of money on the Dyno Jet kit, Take a look at the garage section and you will see the smog unit on the left side(a aluminum pump and a bunch of hoses) see tech section, and it will detail it's removal if you still have it. Cheap and easy. If you are doing any long distance riding with your buddies, you may want to look into a bigger tank, not alot of range on the stock unit.

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:43 PM

[quote name='xbreaka']Hi guys, first post here and so far it looks like a nice community,[/QUOTE]
Welcome. This is the place for all things related to Thumpers & big bore Hondas, as well as every other make, size & model.

[QUOTE]My name is Eli, I am 15, live on cape cod mass and for the last 12 months my dad has been deployed to Iraq, for christmas he bought me a 01 XR650L from a friend of his he was stationed with, 16,000miles, 01 model with some modifications White Bros. Pipe, hand guards.[/QUOTE]
Check the valve lash, chain & sprocket condition since it has fairly high miles. Pull the plug & check the color since it has an aftermarket exhaust to see if it's running (even) leaner than before.

[QUOTE]I am atm 5'11 and about 175pounds and needless to say the bike is a handful, expecially when I have to pick it up, but I am definetly willing to work through it and push the bike to its full potential even if it beats the crap out of me in weight department.[/QUOTE]
It'll always be a handful. Realizing it's full potential is riding it for what it's made for, dual sporting. Ride on-road, off-road & back on-road, unassisted & without having to haul it back & forth. It's always going to beat you up but learning how to ride it within it's and your limits will make you a well-rounded DS pilot.

[QUOTE]I have alot of friends who ride so they have been helping me alot luckily but they pointed me to various areas to try to see if their was any mods I can apply to my 650, so far this is what iv come up with.

Daves Carb Mod-
http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/[/QUOTE]
These mods have been around since the CV carb was invented and before the XRL. Do them without hesitation.

[QUOTE]Uni Air filter-
http://www.unifilter...rtmainpage.html[/QUOTE]
Good choice. I use the No-toil system and really like this water-based package.

[QUOTE]Baja Designs rejetting kit-
This is the Dynojet brand carburetor modification kit for the '93-on Honda XR650L. It designed to increase throttle response, make the bike pull harder, and lower operating temperatures. Kit comes with jets, adjustable needle, needle spring, and detailed installation instructions.[/QUOTE]
Skip the Dynojet kit. Just drill the slide, shim the (stock) needle, grind off the pilot screw tab & get some Keihin jets to experiment with.

[QUOTE]And some pirelli mt21 tires, because the stock ones seem to suck in the dirt
Unless you like flat tracking, eject them immediately. Dunlop D-606 rear & an MT-21 is a good combo. It's what I'm running for all conditions here in So Cal.

[QUOTE]Now I just had a few quick questions, does removing the snorkel, and doing these mods void the street legality of the bike, because in a year when I can get my permit I was thinking of occasionaly taking it to school. Also I live in Mass, does that mean my bike still may possibly have a smog?[/QUOTE]
Street legal & smog legal are usually separate. Street legal means all equipment to legally ride on the road. Smog legal deals with emissions & registration. Check with your local authorities & DMV concerning each one.

[QUOTE]The jetting kit looks sold, but it also may look like it could interfere with daves carb mods. My friends who race and such are more than willing to help me with the basics, tires air filter but I will probably have the jetting and carb mod done by a mechanic who works on Xrs near me.[/QUOTE]
Ditch the Dynojet kit. It's not the best choice for the XRL. Make sure you get a Service Manual. The information in there is invaluable, especially if you're not sure of what you or anyone else is doing. You should try & do as much as you can yourself. It's really only a glorified lawn mower engine.

[QUOTE]Alright, thanks for hearin me out guys and if I am doing anything wrong please let me know, and if they're are any mass people around here id love to find out some better places to ride thus far, all the places iv gone iv been chased by park rangers :thumbsup:

Thanks, Xbreaka[/QUOTE]
Keep it as quiet as you can & make sure the spark arrestor is in place. Plus, the 96db noise limit is already here. Private land (with permission) OHV or ORV parks are the only legal places to ride. Good luck & keep the rubber side down. :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:47 PM

I was comming back from Race point last fall after a fishing trip and I passed a guy who looked like he was picking up his mail,sitting on a red XRL. I think it was around Eastham,could that have been your father? Any way the cheapest way would to just stick with daves mod's. The smog stuff can go if it's still on there. :thumbsup:

• XRsteve

Posted February 14, 2006 - 10:25 PM

Dave's carb mods and a uni filter is probably the best thing you can do. If you're going to be riding mainly offroad, you may want to use 14/48 gearing. Also, a 4 gallon fuel tank is a good idea.

• kelleyseiler

Posted February 15, 2006 - 03:38 AM

If you want to drop her a inch or two so shes easier to handle, a perfomance design link is the way to go. heres mine.
http://i43.photobuck...NS/HPIM0300.jpg
Ex military 8 years, 5 years served overseas. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:57 AM

Hi guys, first post here and so far it looks like a nice community,

My name is Eli, I am 15, live on cape cod mass and for the last 12 months my dad has been deployed to Iraq, for christmas he bought me a 01 XR650L from a friend of his he was stationed with, 16,000miles, 01 model with some modifications White Bros. Pipe, hand guards.

I am atm 5'11 and about 175pounds and needless to say the bike is a handful, expecially when I have to pick it up, but I am definetly willing to work through it and push the bike to its full potential even if it beats the crap out of me in weight department.

I have alot of friends who ride so they have been helping me alot luckily but they pointed me to various areas to try to see if their was any mods I can apply to my 650, so far this is what iv come up with.

Daves Carb Mod-
http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

Uni Air filter-
http://www.unifilter...rtmainpage.html

Baja Designs rejetting kit-

This is the Dynojet brand carburetor modification kit for the '93-on Honda XR650L. It designed to increase throttle response, make the bike pull harder, and lower operating temperatures. Kit comes with jets, adjustable needle, needle spring, and detailed installation instructions.

And some pirelli mt21 tires, because the stock ones seem to suck in the dirt

Now I just had a few quick questions, does removing the snorkel, and doing these mods void the street legality of the bike, because in a year when I can get my permit I was thinking of occasionaly taking it to school. Also I live in Mass, does that mean my bike still may possibly have a smog?

The jetting kit looks sold, but it also may look like it could interfere with daves carb mods. My friends who race and such are more than willing to help me with the basics, tires air filter but I will probably have the jetting and carb mod done by a mechanic who works on Xrs near me.

Alright, thanks for hearin me out guys and if I am doing anything wrong please let me know, and if they're are any mass people around here id love to find out some better places to ride thus far, all the places iv gone iv been chased by park rangers :thumbsup:

Thanks, Xbreaka

Congrats on the ride and welcome Eli. Please tell your Father thank you from me. My nephew did a year in Ramadi so I can relate.

P.S.
Don't let those big bad R guys scare you away.

• goblin127

Posted February 15, 2006 - 07:07 AM

The cape is not very hospitable to dirt bikes or quads. Last I new they had a track for kids in Hyannis but probably not best intended for the XRL. Id just wait for your permit and use it for cheap transportation around town. It will be perfect for beating the traffic in the summer.

• xbreaka

Posted February 15, 2006 - 11:26 AM

The cape is not very hospitable to dirt bikes or quads. Last I new they had a track for kids in Hyannis but probably not best intended for the XRL. Id just wait for your permit and use it for cheap transportation around town. It will be perfect for beating the traffic in the summer.

yep, all the areas people used to ride around here are slowly being populated or closed off by hippie park rangers, and conservation commissions.

A older friend of mine was riding his quad under the powerlines going about 15mph, a ranger stopped him and gave him a 300$ ticket when he was riding in a uninhabited area on a completely sand terrain.

Whatever, thanks for your responses guys hopefully with the help of some friends and perhaps a couple older people who are mechanic savvy I can get these mods done without much labor cost :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:10 PM

dont be afraid to use the djet kit. myself and severeal others here have installed it and are VERY happy with the results! im sure (by looks of daves mods) work well. but the djet kit comes with all you need(except slide drilling and snorkel removal) to make a real runner out of the L model. give it a try! only thing is it is about 70 bucks. this way you dont have to try and find the right keihin jets and play with the correct combination. :thumbsup:

• scooter1100

Posted February 15, 2006 - 06:15 PM

stop, don't touch anything yet. If he already has a pipe on it (reading between the lines a bit) he's probably done the neccessary intake and carb mods. I'd ride it a bit first, if there's problems then deal with it then. You can look a bit and see if there are any mods first. IMO because it's already street legal, you should just take the vin or title down to dmv and register it. If it wasn't originally sold in the USA, there may be issues making it dot approved. Larger fuel tank is the first mod I'd do for street use.

• xbreaka

Posted February 15, 2006 - 07:08 PM

hmm ok, well after some inspection by me and a couple pals we have come to the conclusion that it was rejetted by the previous owner, and a K&N high quality air filter was installed. The smog equip is also all off, so that basically leaves the uni filter, unless the k&N can do the job, and a skid plate.

I guess I was kind of confused at the start because iv never riden a stock one so I couldnt see if this one had the power it was supposed to or if it could be uncorked more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.