Carbon fiber vs. aluminum skid/glide plates 06 450

42 replies to this topic
  • Fizz

Posted February 16, 2006 - 11:48 AM

http://www.lightspeedperf.com

• KTMKarl

Posted February 16, 2006 - 02:29 PM

I can trash either alloy or Carbon in pretty short order! Trashed 2 alloys on a KTM 520 before switching to an ABS PLASTIC quick change job that was unbelieveable! I thought for sure it would be a 10 minute piece but it lasted a year and a half of massive gnarly carnage with out so much as a whimper. i wish that company was building YZF plates! Since then I have been running E-line Carbon, good stuff. I still have the remains of the one off my 04 250f it is still intact but definetly ugly, who cares I ride the damn thing i could care less what she looks like on the bottom!
Everybody is missing one of the BIGGEST advatages to plastic/composites and that is the the "slip factor" They will slip right over that log or ledge while an alloy unit will gouge in and try to rip the bike out from under you! Same for that triple you might case. If the goal is to go fast then you are giving up time with a coal shovel. Plus the other stuff will hold up just as well to an aggresive rider so go for it!

• joshb

Posted February 16, 2006 - 03:09 PM

motosport.com sells lightspeed stuff cheaper

• aford541

Posted February 19, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I bought one of those slick Carbon fiber glide plates and was going through these massive sand whoops, cased one on a rock and blew the Carbon fiber skid plate to smithereens, Shortly after that I bought a Storm skid plate and ran it for all of the 05 season without incident although it looked like the underside of a water ski it held up just fine.
I think when Carbon Fiber fails it does not fail a little bit it's gone! The aluminum one will take more for longer.
The advantages of Carbon fiber are that it is lighter but way down there you could run 1/4 inch steel plate and you probably would not know the difference
I'm all about weight and trick stuff but I'm done with CF glide plates.

• KTMKarl

Posted February 20, 2006 - 07:57 AM

I would imagine a glide plate was built more with weight savings in mind. How thick was it? My experience is with E-lines enduro oriented pieces and they darn sure aint gonna blow up when you case a rock! Good thing too cuz I have blasted a million of em!

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2006 - 10:54 AM

I think when Carbon Fiber fails it does not fail a little bit it's gone! The aluminum one will take more for longer.

There again, it depends on how the CF was laid up. It simply is not all created equal.

Good CF breaks the way wet bamboo or oak switches break. It bends to a point and then starts making cracking noises. If you let up on it at this point, it will return to its original shape an appear as if there's nothing wrong with it.

The cheap stuff is like fiberglass built with too little glass and brittle resins.

• sldietz

Posted February 20, 2006 - 11:33 AM

I have an E-Line Carbon plate on my 426...I'd have to say that it is at least 1/4" thick or more and has taken the abuse...rocks...stumps...ruts...still in great condition.

• dangwartz

Posted May 13, 2006 - 02:05 PM

Lightspeed (DSP) doesn't post pictures of the CF skid plate for the 06 YZ450FV. Anybody out there willing to post photos? I'd like to see if they cover the frame underneath "all the way back" and how well they cover the h20 pump and ignition cases. Also, the does the front portion go all the way up to where the frame just splits?
Thanks.

06 yz450fv

• aford541

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:21 PM

Carbon fiber definitely will not stand up to the abuse. One good hit and it's history. Aluminum can be pounded back out over an over. Only material I will run on a skidder is alum.

I agree!

• xcape

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:35 AM

so who all has skid plates plates out right now for the 06'

i know works connection but who else?

I have the Devol. Fits well easy install :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • feti

Posted May 15, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Lightspeed (DSP) doesn't post pictures of the CF skid plate for the 06 YZ450FV. Anybody out there willing to post photos? I'd like to see if they cover the frame underneath "all the way back" and how well they cover the h20 pump and ignition cases. Also, the does the front portion go all the way up to where the frame just splits?
Thanks.

06 yz450fv

The May '06 edition of Dirt Bike has a YZ450 vs WR450 comparison. On one of the shots, the Light Speed carbon fibers (covering the bike all over the place) have the skid plate all the way back to the tubes. There's a separate case guard that Light Speed offers to cover the pump.

The pump/case guard that Light Speed offers (seen in the picture) also covers far more than the stock plastic one. It spans slightly past the middle of the clutch cover.

If you pick up the magazine at a local store, page 41 has everything you want to see. I'd scan it but I don't have a scanner here.

• dangwartz

Posted May 15, 2006 - 09:31 PM

Thanks. I'll see if I can a copy when I head to the shop tomorrow for a spare air filter and air box cover.

• WackyBush

Posted May 17, 2006 - 04:53 PM

I've destroyed every piece of carbon fiber I've ever purchased and trust me I've tried them all.

I got tired of spending twice as much for something that lasts less than 1/4 as long.

I agree the CF is just as good as Aluminum while my bike is sitting in the garage...

• cheezy

Posted May 17, 2006 - 05:03 PM

CF looks good, doesnt last, and is very expensive.

• joshb

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:59 PM

CF looks good, doesnt last, and is very expensive.

I've ran tons of carbon fiber parts for the past year and not one has fell apart. Even the frame guards, which take tons of abuse, are still going strong. The trick is to every once and awhile get some 20 minute epoxy and apply a thin layer on the guard where wear is showing. This makes them like new again.

• KTMKarl

Posted May 18, 2006 - 09:44 AM

I just sold a two year old E-line plate for my YZ250f that didn't look so good but held up, served its purpose and made me faster. Done right the stuff does what its supposed to do. the E-line on my 06 is following suit as well, quick and slick over the ledges and logs, keeps the rocks out of the cases and slips on and off easily for quick service. More than I can say for the other materials I have seen and used.

• aford541

Posted May 23, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Polycarbonate seems to work the best because of it's cost to strength. This unit sells for 34$
http://s63.photobuck...forAttorney.jpg :ride:

Who sells it?

• FriscoKLR

Posted May 24, 2006 - 01:56 PM

I checked out the WC, Utah and Light Speed stuff. I ended up with GYTR. Fits great, can drain oil and coolant without much interference and it covers the frame. That plastic looking thing leaves the frame exposed, which makes it useless. If your gonna buy protection you might as well do it right.

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

• Reyndogg

Posted May 24, 2006 - 02:22 PM

I took the Works Connection skid plate off my 06 and put the stocker back on...dont think i'll use it again, either. I guess I'll ebay it or sell it on here or something.

I just dont like how small the hole in it is to change the oil. The other option im considering is getting the dremel after it, but i think i'd rather just buy something else. Or not.

• SureBlue

Posted May 24, 2006 - 06:55 PM

I checked out the WC, Utah and Light Speed stuff. I ended up with GYTR. Fits great, can drain oil and coolant without much interference and it covers the frame. That plastic looking thing leaves the frame exposed, which makes it useless. If your gonna buy protection you might as well do it right.

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

This GYTR enduro skidplate gives really good protection. It makes the engine sound louder, but it does not bother me. I drilled 15 additional holes on the front of it to help cooling the oil reservoir. After a couple troublesome oilchanges I also ended up enlargening the bottom drain hole by 10 mm in both front and back directions to ease up the access to the ZipTy magnetic drain bolt, which seems to be much harder to get onscrewed than the stock bolt. I'm really happy with this plate.
Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.