Wanted: The Magic Button

29 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted February 15, 2006 - 09:34 AM

The JoeRacer kit looks nice. But in NO way would I mount a battery to the 650R's flimsy rear fender without the subframe extension kit.

• TemeculaTim

Posted February 15, 2006 - 09:37 AM

It looks like the dual sport kit puts the battery behind the front plate and may be a better option.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 15, 2006 - 02:14 PM

Baja Design has the only E Start kit I've seen for the XR650R. I thought it was still around 900 bucks. It will add 15 pounds, and the new stator cover looks like it has a beer can sticking out of the top of it. I am told that this E Start kit will prevent you from adding a larger fuel tank because of the starter & battery placement. Like some other people have said, this bike is easy to start, even cold. You don't need E Start

It will not prevent you from adding a bigger tank. The battery sits right behind the jug under the carb.

If your thinking of Joe Racers starter I would make sure he will guarantee it to work. I was looking at his too before I went with Baja Designs. He is more expensive and I didn't like the battery mounting point. The starter definately looks stock cause it's built out of Honda parts.

But when I read reviews by folks who forked out the money to get the Joe Racer kit I decided against it. None of them were able to get them working and they were not receiving good customer service. So I ran from that deal. The fact that he is still selling them may mean he has got the electrical bugs worked out. Maybe he even has better service than those guys received. They were pretty upset plus out a lot of money.

I have been told by some friends that Joe Racers XR400 E-start works really well. Just make sure you check it out and see a working model before you jump in.

The thing about Baja Designs is they totally stand behind what they sell. They even upgraded my starter for free as they made improvments to it. You just can't beat that kind of service. But I will admit it is an ugly unit. Ugly but very functional.

• icedfusion

Posted February 15, 2006 - 04:21 PM

ahhh.....funny to read about ppl saying its easy to kick.
I decided on an XR650R after reading alot of info on the bikes.
Went and saw a few, blokey started this one first time - thought great - got it home - then i started it first time - thought great. Time to take it for a spin - could i start it?? could i fek - 3 days i have been trying to start this fekkin thing and i still cant do it - tried all the different 'approaches' i have read on the net. Apparently the bike was standing for a year - so i drained the fuel and put fresh stuff in. (there is no kill switch on this bike so its not in the 'off' position)

Every now and again i get a 'bang' from the exhaust - probably due to the amount of fuel being pumped in when im trying to start it.

One thing i am unsure of is the position of the choke when its fully on - is the lever moved down, or is it on when completely up?

thanks

ice.

• karvinkarl

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:09 PM

It's on when it's up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bajarider1

Posted February 16, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Try the following:

Check basics (fuel and spark)

1. Hold kill switch
2. Hold trottle wide open
3. Pull in the dempression lever
4. Kick easy 4 times doing this.
5. Release everything
6. Find TDC
7. Kick normally.

If it doesn't then try same routine at 1/2 choke.

• wickedsprint

Posted February 16, 2006 - 10:50 AM

If it doesn't start with kicking it won't start with an electric motor, I weigh 160lbs and have no trouble starting it within a couple kicks cold (<30 degrees) or first kick everytime if it has been run at all that day.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 16, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Try the following:

Check basics (fuel and spark)

1. Hold kill switch
2. Hold trottle wide open
3. Pull in the dempression lever
4. Kick easy 4 times doing this.
5. Release everything
6. Find TDC
7. Kick normally.

If it doesn't then try same routine at 1/2 choke.

This is right on for starting a flooded bike with a stock carb. When I had the stock carb I made it a practice to start a cold bike this way with the only difference being I would kick it over 7 to 10 times instead of 4 to help warm and clear any fuel from the cylinder. Use the choke on a cold start. Once warm it should be a 1 kick start every time unless you dump it. It will flood almost immediately when dumping it. Also when starting a XR650R with a stock carb never give it any throttle. To do so will almost certainly flood the bike. Oh, if it doesn't start by the first 3 kicks go through the above procedure again. Other wise you will wear your leg out.

In time you will become very good at reading the bike and know exactly what to do to get it to start quickly. They really are an easy starting bike.

Oh and the guy is right about an E-start not working if you can't get it started by kicking. You will just wear the battery down. From reading your description of your starting problem it sounds like you were twisting the throttle to start it. You flooded the bike and thats why you could not start it. Again never give it throttle when starting one that still has the stock carb on it.

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 16, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Does the stock XR 650R carb have an accelerator pump?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 16, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Does the stock XR 650R carb have an accelerator pump?

No, but it will flood if you wack the throttle when trying to start it. I intalled a pumper carb on mine (Edelbrock). You have to twist the carb 3 or 4 times for it to start with a pumper carb.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.