06 Yz450f, Can It Be A Long Term Reliable Trail/jump/mx Bike?

8 replies to this topic
  • Learn2turn

Posted February 14, 2006 - 07:25 AM

I'm tempted to trade in for a fast, light, jumpable 450.

Would I be in for frequent maintenance or problems in the long run?

What's y'alls opinion on owning this 06 YZ450F for years to come...
what would break?
what would wear out?
what type of maintenace SCHEDULE would need to be followed?

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2006 - 07:40 AM

What's y'alls opinion on owning this 06 YZ450F for years to come...
what would break?

The things that are at the point of impact when you crash.

what would wear out?

Tires. Sprockets and chains.

what type of maintenace SCHEDULE would need to be followed?

Use a high quality synthetic oil, preferably one specifically formulated for motorcycles that share their engine oil with their transmissions, and change it AT LEAST every 9-10 hours (call that three ride days). 4-6 hours is better, but if you use the right oil, it may not be altogether necessary.

Buy a Scotts stainless steel oil filter and clean it with every oil change. You can buy cheaper ones if you want. I don't.

Clean the air filter at least each third ride, or as often as each ride, depending on how dusty it was. Fork oil twice a season. Cable lube 2-4 times a year. Keep things tight.

Anything I missed?

• Learn2turn

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:05 AM

Sounds doable.

The oil change frequency is due to the amount of oil in the bike and that it is shared w/ the clutch. Right?

Would the top end (valves) "last" or need rebuilding/attention in short time?
(stainless or Ti valves?)

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:25 AM

The oil change frequency is due to the amount of oil in the bike and that it is shared w/ the clutch. Right?

The oil change frequency is due to two things: First, transmissions shed a lot of metal under normal circumstances. Clutches are even messier. But foreign material contamination is not the entire story. Oil is exposed to all kinds of abuse in a high RPM four-stroke, some of the worst of which is dished out once again by the transmission. In most multi-grade oils, the additives used to make them multi-grades get physically beat up by the transmission, and the result can be that your 10w-40 gets turned into a 10w-18 in an astonishingly short amount of time. This is called viscosity shear down, and it's a very real problem in modern motorcycles.

My personal choice of an oil that will not shear out of grade readily, if at all, is Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle Oil in 10w-40 or 20w-50 (MCF or MCV). Note that Amsoil makes a number of older motorcycle oils, ands these two are the only ones I recommend for this application. Other oils that hold their grade very well are Mobil 1 MX4T or V-Twin, Golden Spectro 4 Synthetic Blend, and Motul 300v. There may be others, but I don't know that for a fact. In the case of the above listed oils, I've seen the data.

Would the top end (valves) "last" or need rebuilding/attention in short time?
(stainless or Ti valves?)

Yamaha has the durability thing figured out as no one else does. My '03 (original set of OEM Ti valves) has not yet to this day required as much as its first valve adjustment. I think they hold up pretty well, no?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Learn2turn

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:44 AM

"Yamaha has the durability thing figured out as no one else does. My '03 (original set of OEM Ti valves) has not yet to this day required as much as its first valve adjustment. I think they hold up pretty well, no?"

DAMN!!!! I'd say that's more than decent for a hot rod 450MXer.

I appreciate your time and answers.
You must buy oil by the case to keep supply on hand.

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:48 AM

I signed myself up as a preferred customer, which you can also do, at Amsoil.com. I order by the case or the half case, whatever my budget dictates, and I save significant money over retail that way.

• Fulltilt3

Posted February 14, 2006 - 10:04 AM

I have an 04 YZ450F that I have used exclusively for hare scrambles, enduros, and cross country racing. I have checked the valves twice, no movement.
70 hours so far.

I put a clarke 2.8 gallon tank on it plus an 11 oz. MSR flywheel weight. Final touch was the rekluse autoclutch.

I did all these prior to riding this crate bike.

I came off of an 04 crf450 that I blew up.

so far I am very pleased. I see only 1 option for a 4 stroke mx bike. And that option is 3 intake valves.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Anything I missed?

Well, if you are like me you will want to rub it and tell it how much you love it on a strict daily regimen. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• CBreaken

Posted February 15, 2006 - 08:34 PM

I've got an 04 yz450f with is currently in it's third evolution, this bike lived through being an MX bike, then a desert bike, and I now have it in supermoto trim. It's been 2 years, and probably over a 120 hours on this thing. Not a lick of trouble, just changed the oil every other ride, and serviced the air filter often. I did tear the motor down prior to the supermoto build (@ about 100 hours) due to some hippie dumping a handful of dirt in the crankcase. I replaced all the bearings and wear items (cam chain, clutch, ect). It actually looked pretty good considering. The point is, my buddy had his 05 yz450f sabatoged at on the ride about 7 months ago and hasn't done anything but change the oil, and his bike still runs strong! I think thats absolulty amazing!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.