XR650R Ignition tests

2 replies to this topic
  • InternalCombustion

Posted February 13, 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hey.

Got an ignition problem, no spark. Trying to trace down the problem but the Honda manual says I gotta take voltage readings using a "peak voltage adapter" inline with a multimeter. Got a multimeter but searched high and low on the internet for a peak voltage adapter and the only one I found is $90.

Is my only option the get this adapter or are there real-world tests I can do on the BRP's ignition system? Right now I cannot rule out anything because the excitor coil, pulse generator and ignition coil tests all require this adapter (per the manual).

Any help much appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mudshark

Posted February 13, 2006 - 09:10 PM

To test coils you shouldnt need anything fancy.
Just got to find out what the stock ohmage is for each coil and check it.
The rest, you may indeed need this "peak voltage adapter" but it sounds
like something that just measures the voltage output peak ?

• Xr650rhonda

Posted February 15, 2006 - 04:20 PM

Hey.

Got an ignition problem, no spark. Trying to trace down the problem but the Honda manual says I gotta take voltage readings using a "peak voltage adapter" inline with a multimeter. Got a multimeter but searched high and low on the internet for a peak voltage adapter and the only one I found is $90.

Is my only option the get this adapter or are there real-world tests I can do on the BRP's ignition system? Right now I cannot rule out anything because the excitor coil, pulse generator and ignition coil tests all require this adapter (per the manual).

Any help much appreciated.

I really don't think you need a peak voltage adapter tester, a simple multimeter would do. If it was me, I would look for bad/dirty connections at the stator(ignition side of the coil, not charging) first, there should be AC voltage coming from each leg when you kick it. I would also make sure the ignition circuit has a good ground, you can do this in ohm's using your meter. Oil, dirt and crap seem to find it's way under where the ignition coil mounts to the frame. Make sure your using a new plug that is gapped and resting on a good source for ground to see the blue spark. The last thing I would do is un-clip my CDI from the harness and clean the plug with a good electrical cleaner.
Good Luck!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.