Clutch pull?

23 replies to this topic
  • Raven1911

Posted February 13, 2006 - 01:35 PM

Went riding this weekend and my buddy owns a CRF450R and my YZF426 clutch is so much HARDER to pull in than his clutch. What's up with that? I am thinking of doing the clutch mod on the assembly by the engine. Anyone have success with this? Does it work? If not is there another way to decrease the pull on the clutch lever? It's just hard because I have to feather it a lot around corners and such to keep it from stalling and after about 2-3 hours of trail riding it gets to my fingers. I know I probably need a heavier flywheel which I am going to look into. But in the meantime, any suggestions??

• yz_for_me

Posted February 13, 2006 - 02:16 PM

You can improve things by lubing your clutch cable. Use a cable luber like this one.

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 13, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Also you can use the CR perch and lever or something like the ASV levers that use the CR pull. It is a different ratio than the stock YZ

• Fastest1

Posted February 13, 2006 - 05:27 PM

You could get a Rekluse Auto and ditch the lever completely!

• John407

Posted February 13, 2006 - 06:39 PM

you could add 1/2 inch to the clutch arm. I did it to my '03 and it is pretty good (it's also pretty cheap).

• twenty34

Posted February 13, 2006 - 06:45 PM

Can I ask how you did this? Also, any pics? I'd like to do this mod as I see it as the only option to get that "CR" feel. :thumbsup:

you could add 1/2 inch to the clutch arm. I did it to my '03 and it is pretty good (it's also pretty cheap).

• halfbaked

Posted February 13, 2006 - 06:46 PM

:thumbsup:Get a magura hydralic clutch, best mod I ever did 4 my bike.Magura clutch is smaller than stock set up. U wont be sorry on this purchase. Clutch pull is so much easier, i can use only my pinky.Yamis just have harder pull but sick bikes. Own 01 250f, & 02 426f with a baja street legal kit, 04 R6

• twenty34

Posted February 13, 2006 - 06:47 PM

Ain't gonna help much. The cr pull is like butter. Not sure how they do it, but pull any new CR or CRF clutch and it's like butter. The YZ/WR's just don't do it. The option I'm considering, which someone also recommended in this thread is to extend the actuator. I WISH Yamaha would address this one of these yrs. :thumbsup:

You can improve things by lubing your clutch cable. Use a cable luber like this one.

• Raven1911

Posted February 13, 2006 - 10:45 PM

Anyone have the link to the directions on how to extend the actuator?? I know I have seen it on this forum before. :thumbsup:

BTW, I have lubed the clutch and cable but still harder to pull. :thumbsup:

• djo269

Posted February 13, 2006 - 11:27 PM

Maybe softer clutch springs would help? I know, my 02' yz250f & my 03' yz450f have stiff clutch pulls. I was going to post on this issue too. I appreciate others feedback.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fizz

Posted February 14, 2006 - 12:15 AM

does anybody know the diameter of the crf450 clutch? (and the yz450f?) ...

its all a matter of torque, and a larger diameter clutch would need less spring force for a surtain torque ....

without knowing the diameter of the yamaha and honda clutch its impossible to say something about why one is easier than the other ...

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2006 - 08:53 AM

On an '03 YZ450, I would tell you to get the GYT-R (Hinson) clutch kit. Mine is a two finger clutch that will work beautifully all day long, no matter what.

I know there are things you can do to get this kind of performance from a 426, but the particulars escape me. Either search for the '01 clutch mod, or PM to Cowboyona426 and ask him to respond to this thread.

• John407

Posted February 14, 2006 - 10:41 AM

Can I ask how you did this? Also, any pics? I'd like to do this mod as I see it as the only option to get that "CR" feel. :thumbsup:

I pulled the actuator arm out of the cases and gave it to a welder friend. He had already lengthened his on another '03. He added 1/2 inch of thin plate in the middle of the arm. Pretty simple mod. The clutch pull is lighter but the lever pull is longer as well (which is a downside to some.)

I have also seen/heard of guys just redrilling the lever hole (where the cable attaches).

Run a search, there must be better posts from people that know more about this.

• hemimike

Posted February 14, 2006 - 11:03 AM

Pick up a new clutch cable and you'll be suprised with the difference. I have a 05crf and a 03yzf, wacked the new cable on and it's better than the crf.

• twenty34

Posted February 14, 2006 - 09:16 PM

I have a new 06 and while it's smooth, it's too sprung. A new cable isn't what this thread is about. Try a new CR and you'll see what I mean.

Pick up a new clutch cable and you'll be suprised with the difference. I have a 05crf and a 03yzf, wacked the new cable on and it's better than the crf.

• twenty34

Posted February 14, 2006 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, that's what I figured. I didn't think that while solving one problem, it may create a new one - the lever pull. hmmm...I'm really thinking the hydraulic clutch option sounds nice.

I pulled the actuator arm out of the cases and gave it to a welder friend. He had already lengthened his on another '03. He added 1/2 inch of thin plate in the middle of the arm. Pretty simple mod. The clutch pull is lighter but the lever pull is longer as well (which is a downside to some.)

I have also seen/heard of guys just redrilling the lever hole (where the cable attaches).

Run a search, there must be better posts from people that know more about this.

• twenty34

Posted February 14, 2006 - 09:19 PM

I've seen these GYT-R clutch kits on the Yamaha site and they are very expensive.

On an '03 YZ450, I would tell you to get the GYT-R (Hinson) clutch kit. Mine is a two finger clutch that will work beautifully all day long, no matter what.

I know there are things you can do to get this kind of performance from a 426, but the particulars escape me. Either search for the '01 clutch mod, or PM to Cowboyona426 and ask him to respond to this thread.

• 426_Texan

Posted February 14, 2006 - 10:38 PM

Went riding this weekend and my buddy owns a CRF450R and my YZF426 clutch is so much HARDER to pull in than his clutch. What's up with that? I am thinking of doing the clutch mod on the assembly by the engine. Anyone have success with this? Does it work? If not is there another way to decrease the pull on the clutch lever? It's just hard because I have to feather it a lot around corners and such to keep it from stalling and after about 2-3 hours of trail riding it gets to my fingers. I know I probably need a heavier flywheel which I am going to look into. But in the meantime, any suggestions??

What year 426? If it's an '00, do the '01 mod and install a new cable.

• Raven1911

Posted February 15, 2006 - 04:50 AM

What year 426? If it's an '00, do the '01 mod and install a new cable.

I have an 01. I don't think the cable would make a big difference. Maybe the way it is routed? Not sure what you mean by the 01 mod? Is that the drilling of the lever or the extension of the actuator? :thumbsup: I would like to hear from people to see if both of those together work well or not.

• 426_Texan

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:09 AM

I have an 01. I don't think the cable would make a big difference. Maybe the way it is routed? Not sure what you mean by the 01 mod? Is that the drilling of the lever or the extension of the actuator? :thumbsup: I would like to hear from people to see if both of those together work well or not.

No, the " 01 clutch mod" upgrades the 00 to the 01. Since your bike IS an '01, nevermind. Try drilling the lever. That will be the easiest and cheapest to do first.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.