426 motor in 450 frame!!

2 replies to this topic
  • marktt31

Posted February 13, 2006 - 11:53 AM

I recently rebuilt my 02' YZ426 engine (complete strip and clean, and lots and lots of new parts, piston, conrod, oil pump, almost every bearing, cam chain and guides etc) and then fitted it in a 04' 450 rolling chassis, the problem is that i put 1500ml of oil in and it was reading over full on the dipstick, where before the 426 engine in an original frame will hold 1700ml up to full mark on the dip stick, does anybody know if the tank in the frame on a 450 is smaller than a 426 frame, or do the 450's run more oil in the engine than the frame!
oh and by the way, yamaha changed just about everything so you couldn't fit an older engine in a newer frame, even down to just one of the engine mount holes being half an hole out!!! :thumbsup: The coil fits snuggly under the tank now though well away from any mud and water. :thumbsup:
Regards Mark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted February 13, 2006 - 01:23 PM

I would like to see some pictures if you can. Sorry I can't help with the oil question, but I would like to see the bike. The 426 is an awesome engine.

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 13, 2006 - 04:07 PM

The later years of the 426 held less oil. Only the 00 called for the 1700 of oil.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.