Hole on the head?

9 replies to this topic
  • Yamaster

Posted February 12, 2006 - 09:45 PM

What is that little hole on the right side of the cylinder head? Someone told me it was to spray wd40 onto the sparkplug, but that doesnt make much sense...

• WheelsUp

Posted February 12, 2006 - 09:49 PM

It's a drain for any condensation or water that happens to get into the spark plug hole.
Shooting a little WD in there may not be a bad idea after a wash to keep the plug from rusting.
You should plug the hole with a golf tee or a rubber plug when washing... you want to try not to get water in there.

Also, when it's time to change the plug, shoot a little compressed air into the hole and it will help get the coil off.

• matt113

Posted February 12, 2006 - 09:51 PM

It's a drain for any condensation or water that happens to get into the spark plug hole.
Shooting a little WD in there may not be a bad idea after a wash to keep the plug from rusting.
You should plug the hole with a golf tee or a rubber plug when washing... you want to try not to get water in there.

Also, when it's time to change the plug, shoot a little compressed air into the hole and it will help get the coil off.

couldnt have said it better myself

• Yamaster

Posted February 12, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info.

• Yamaster

Posted February 12, 2006 - 09:57 PM

I've always wondered what that hole was for. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • newthumper05

Posted February 13, 2006 - 07:30 AM

Do you have a pic of this hole.

• WheelsUp

Posted February 13, 2006 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

• newthumper05

Posted February 13, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Thanks I was looking for that puppy because my plug was all rusted from power washing into that hole. :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 13, 2006 - 10:16 AM

I think the technical term is a "Weep" hole... (I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time).... :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted February 13, 2006 - 10:26 AM

A lot of compressed air in the hole after the sparkplug boot is off will help clear the sparkplug well of dirt so that the dirt will not fall into the cylinder when the sparkplug is removed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.