Took a little spill now I have a question

11 replies to this topic
  • Dwood11

Posted February 12, 2006 - 03:01 PM

Looks like I tweeked my radiator this weekend when I took a little tumble over the handlebars. I noticed that its smashed in about an inch or so, but it is not leaking at all. Its smashed enough that one row of the metal is smashed into the other row. Is this worth getting fixed asap? Or do I just leave it alone and hope for the best.

Thanks.

Dwood

WR400

• bluebike1999

Posted February 12, 2006 - 03:08 PM

if it's not leaking, ride on.
keep an eye on it initially, but ive seen some mangled radiators that dont leak and the owners dont worry.
good luck

• Flooder305

Posted February 12, 2006 - 03:14 PM

I got the same thing going, however if you do decide to fix check these guys out, I haven't used them yet, but am planning on it if necessary. I hear his turnaround time is great, and he charges a real fair price.

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 12, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Been riding with a bent rad for almost a year. Keep up with the oil changes, and make sure your overflow isn't overflowing, and you should be OK. If your overheating and overflowing coolant, then get it fixed.

• Dwood11

Posted February 13, 2006 - 10:38 AM

Im really not to worried about it at this point. I Noticed that when I went out yesterday for a quick rip, that I am getting a little noise on the left side I never heard before. But only after a hard stomp up a big hill with not a lot of air flow on a hot day. I am going go put some new fluid in it today. I know the question has been posed a thousand times before on this site, but Im gonna ask again. Whats the best coolant to run? Is ice the best? Im in southern cali so freezing is not a real problem. I appreciate your response guys.

Dwood

WR400

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 13, 2006 - 12:36 PM

Im really not to worried about it at this point. I Noticed that when I went out yesterday for a quick rip, that I am getting a little noise on the left side I never heard before. But only after a hard stomp up a big hill with not a lot of air flow on a hot day. I am going go put some new fluid in it today. I know the question has been posed a thousand times before on this site, but Im gonna ask again. Whats the best coolant to run? Is ice the best? Im in southern cali so freezing is not a real problem. I appreciate your response guys.

Dwood

WR400

I run engine ice but hear the Evans NPG-R is supposed to out perform it.

Run till your radiator leaks and then fix it. If it can't be fixed do not buy OEM, it will run you in the nieghborhood of $315 / side :thumbsup: . I bought a set of Fluidynes for $400 for both sides, they are way beefier and transfer heat alot better :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted February 13, 2006 - 03:43 PM

Straight water is your best bet; maybe add some water wetter too. Unless you have overheating problems, the Evans is a waste of money. It doesn't transfer heat as well as water, but it has a high boiling point, which will keep it in the rads if you're prone to overheating.

• Matty05

Posted February 13, 2006 - 03:54 PM

Straight water is your best bet; maybe add some water wetter too. Unless you have overheating problems, the Evans is a waste of money. It doesn't transfer heat as well as water, but it has a high boiling point, which will keep it in the rads if you're prone to overheating.

Never run straight water! :thumbsup: These engines run very hot!!!!

Engine Ice coolant is great, Evans NPG-R is better and cheaper (it is here in Australia anyway!).

The cooler you bike runs, the better!

You can run with the bent radiator, if it not leaking, don't worry about it. If you get new ones, stay clear of OEM!!! Fluidynes for $400 sounds good to me.

• sah81

Posted February 13, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Looks like a good time to pick up some radiator guards as well.

• Dwood11

Posted February 13, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Got em, it was a pretty good whack. I went over the bars at like 30 and the bike went stright down on the left side. Sometimes landing on sagebrush can be a good thing.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 13, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Pesonally, I would get em fixed. I take mine to the local Radiator shop. Cost like 15-30 bucks, depending on the damage. I would hate to get way back in the mountains when it decides to start leaking, or a little whack breaks it wide open. I was told to never run less than 15% coolant in your mix. I used to run about 15-20% coolant with water, then add Water Wetter in my WR. Never overheated once I went to that system. :thumbsup:

• bg10459

Posted February 14, 2006 - 05:29 AM

Never run straight water! ... The cooler you bike runs, the better!

Straight distilled water has better heat transfer properties than EG or PG. Water wetter (or other surfacant) is supposed to increase the heat transferability of water. You will run coolest with this combo.
Now, if you have overheating problems or if you require freeze protection, you should add some glycol. I use just enough prestone antifreeze to obtain the freeze protection I need. I have no problems keeping it in my rads.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.