Just finished dressing up the 06 450

27 replies to this topic
  • Lizard 1

Posted February 15, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Sure Blue, kind of weird to tear apart a brand new bike but it's the best time to do it. I was wondering how much grease was on the bearings from the factory? Also, why did you use the 175 main when most are using the 170 main? I'm just curious if you have had any experiences that caused you to use it rather than the smaller 170. Are the ProSeal air filter seal the magnetic drain plug the same as the 03-05's or is it specific to the 06's? One other thing is I used the TM design slider on my 03 450 and it made so much noise, I took it off and use automotive goop with some coarse foam under the stock slider to prevent the chaffing. I had used them previously with great luck but I think when they changed the design to where you could install it without pulling the swingarm, I think it made it no better than the stock one since it moves around more than the prior design.

Doc Fletcher, can a chiropractor do work on himself? You must be in demand at the track. The bike is looking good, no unnecessary bling to make it look excessively bling'd, very tasteful application of the bling.

There's some other threads concerning the low amount of grease. What ANY MX rider should do as SOON as they get their bike home is a complete tear down minus removing the frame. The grease is a joke on the bikes new. You need to make sure you grease EVERYTHING! Steering head, axles, shifter and brake bolts, swing arm bolt, rear shock linkage bolts, etc.

DO IT! DO IT NOW!

• H2Ocaver

Posted February 15, 2006 - 04:11 PM

Well I finally got my 450 the way i want it...Renthal sprockets and gold o-ring chain, seal savers, steel oil filter, devol skid plate and radiator guards, renthal hand grips and dough-nuts, pro-moto billet endcap, dunlop d756 front tire, frame mounted hour meter, [COLOR=DarkRed]re-routed the breather tube to the airbox[/COLOR], raised the forks in the triple clamps, 48 pilot and zip tye fuel screw. I will post pics soon!

Is there an explanation of this mod somewhere, thanks-EZ

• mtrdrms

Posted February 15, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Is there an explanation of this mod somewhere, thanks-EZ

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=330758

• SureBlue

Posted February 15, 2006 - 08:24 PM

Sure Blue, kind of weird to tear apart a brand new bike but it's the best time to do it. I was wondering how much grease was on the bearings from the factory? Also, why did you use the 175 main when most are using the 170 main? I'm just curious if you have had any experiences that caused you to use it rather than the smaller 170. Are the ProSeal air filter seal the magnetic drain plug the same as the 03-05's or is it specific to the 06's? One other thing is I used the TM design slider on my 03 450 and it made so much noise, I took it off and use automotive goop with some coarse foam under the stock slider to prevent the chaffing. I had used them previously with great luck but I think when they changed the design to where you could install it without pulling the swingarm, I think it made it no better than the stock one since it moves around more than the prior design.

PK, there is very little grease from factory. Do it on a new bike so that you only need to add grease instead of cleaning and regreasing! It takes some time to tear everything down, but be patient, you'll have plenty of riding time later. I had the time also due to my knee injury.
I chose to use the 175 main because if you guys run a 170 in California, a 175 in cold -8 Celsius dry weather for a bike ran at an icetrack at high speeds can not at least damage it. Too fat is never bad for a bike that is being broken in. I may change it to 170 for summer. I also replaced the stock 13-tooth front sprocket with a 14-tooth one, and the gearing is much taller now, probably too tall for summer, but perfect for our ice tracks.
The ProSeal is the same for all 450 (in fact all YZ's and YZF's) like the airfilter is. I don't know about the magnetic drain plug since I never had one before.

I wanted TMdesignworks stuff because they are much more durable than stock ones, and the blue color looks nice. It is said the new material is now less noisy too.
What I still need is rad braces and skidplate, so I am following the threads intensively and have not yet decided the brand, I have been very satisfied with WorksConnection earlier.
I may also get the PMB endcap and kickstand too. TT Store is a great place to buy for me since I get all the stuff from one store and get is shipped overseas in one package with low freightcosts.
I wish I had gotten the yellow bike, it was supposed to come for Christmas, then I was told it was shipped Jan 3rd, then Jan 29th... Still not here. But now it's too late, I will get the One Hurricane Kit for summer. Can't you see I was prepared to get a yellow bike? Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted February 15, 2006 - 09:08 PM

Doc Fletcher, can a chiropractor do work on himself? You must be in demand at the track. The bike is looking good, no unnecessary bling to make it look excessively bling'd, very tasteful application of the bling.

To answer your first question, not really. I actually do take care of a couple of riders on the SX circuit for Team Solitaire, Ryan Clark and Justin Buckelew. Two of the nicest guys around motocross, but Ryan was a little pe'od that I bought a Yamy instead of a Honda. I also race the WORCS series and take care of Destry Abbott. He is also a very cool guy and he always is encouraging to everyone he meets. He was also a little pe'od that I didn't buy a Kawi, but I got what I wanted. I appreciate the positive feedback on the bike. Stay on two wheels.

• gunner150

Posted February 15, 2006 - 09:11 PM

That is a sweet bike!

• N_Boyd

Posted February 16, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Nice Bikes! :thumbsup:

• PK

Posted February 16, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Doc, you should be P'O'd at Ryan for jumping on the CRF band wagon, he rode Yamaha's a helluva lot longer than he has been on that Honda. Kawi has yet to show they build a reliable 4 stroke bike. The KX450 is a great bike but we'll see how it holds up. Those guys need you, they can't stay mad forever...

Sure Blue, where do you live that you have to get stuff shipped overseas too? I didn't know you were iceracing the bike, now your jetting makes sense. I'm waiting for my yellow one to come in and was offered a blue one the other day but decided to wait for the yellow one. On my 426 I spent alot more than $200 to get the Hurricane Hannah look, so I can wait till my boat comes in. I know how you feel though, you just wanted the bike and color became less important.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.