Need Info on an '02 YZ 426....

10 replies to this topic
  • coot

Posted February 12, 2006 - 10:55 AM

Hey All!!! I bought a 2002 YZ 426 a while back, and then had a pretty bad street bike crash. I can't start it now, My ankle won't take it. Is there anything I can do to make this thing easier to start. I did a search in this forum, and I heard about the '03 exhaust cam. I also found out I need to check the Valves, as they will make it hard to start if they are out of spec.

Is there anything else I can do to make it easier to start? Aside from selling it for something with electric start?

Thanks for the help!!!

• Fizz

Posted February 12, 2006 - 11:51 AM

the '03 450 cam mod wont make the bike easier to kick over, you just eliminate the need for a decomp. handle ...

assuming you´re skilled at the starting routine, why dont you do like all the guys with the kick lever on the left side (Husaberg etc.) stand with both legs on the same side and kick with the "wrong foot"?

• 642MX

Posted February 12, 2006 - 11:51 AM

Even with the cam mod they are hard to kick. I don't know what to tell you, maybe try to kick it with your other foot.

• coot

Posted February 12, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the advice Guy's!! I'll try just that.

• coot

Posted February 12, 2006 - 02:27 PM

You Guys Rock!!!!! That did the trick. I stood on the right side of the bike, and kicked with my left foot. Started right up 3 times in a row!!

Thanks for the help!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 12, 2006 - 03:57 PM

You Guys Rock!!!!! That did the trick. I stood on the right side of the bike, and kicked with my left foot. Started right up 3 times in a row!!

Thanks for the help!!

You might also try a Pro Tec kick starter, I have one on my fiancee's 250F, its 1.5 inches shorter than a stock kicker. Using a Pro Tec kicker may help you, so your left leg doesn't have to stretch as far.

• coot

Posted February 12, 2006 - 04:17 PM

Where might be the best place to get one?

• kizzle426

Posted February 12, 2006 - 04:26 PM

The throw would be shorter if you got one, but it would take away leverage and make it harder to kick over. Just something to think about.

• 642MX

Posted February 12, 2006 - 04:29 PM

Where might be the best place to get one?

I seen an advertisement in the back of Cycle News. I believe you have to order direct. Here is the phone number. (951) 698-8988.

• 642MX

Posted February 12, 2006 - 04:34 PM

The throw would be shorter if you got one, but it would take away leverage and make it harder to kick over. Just something to think about.

Actually they stick out a bit farther and change the way you kick the bike over. It doesn't make it any harder, even though they are shorter. The leverage issue was a concern when I bought one for my girl, but she says it's 100 times easier to start with it.

• kizzle426

Posted February 12, 2006 - 04:52 PM

Nice. Kind of like how the older CR's used to be. I'll keep that in mind for the fiance. Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.