Enduro riding 650r in mud

7 replies to this topic
  • Fordskin

Posted February 12, 2006 - 03:13 AM

Did an enduro ride today. 20klm loop through very tight trails opening up into long rutted hill climbes and through cane fields and so on. This was not a race just a ride day. The other bikes were mainly KTMs and WRs. I could not keep with elete riders but was very suprised with the 650r. When its dry this bike corners well and soaks up ruts without a problem. It will eat up most bikes for grunt but when it rains its a real dog. The weight turns it into a runaway train. I try to keep the momentem up to keep it tracking straight but it seems to have a mind of its own. I love this bike but if its raining next ride i'm staying home. :thumbsup:

• frankstr

Posted February 12, 2006 - 06:21 AM

Granted things are slippier when muddy, But my XR handles well for me on tite trails and such when muddy......What are you using for tires...maybe thats the challange... :thumbsup:

• Fordskin

Posted February 13, 2006 - 01:48 AM

You could be right about the tyres. The rear is shot and kept sliding at right angles. This is the rear tyre i have [standard] ICR 4.50-18 tr8 70p. I am a novice as far as tyres go, don't know what the tr8 70p means. Can someone point me to a tyre that is hard but still good on dirt and in mud? I'm not the type to be changing tyres before a ride day. I do a lot of road riding during the week aqnd need it to not wear out so quick.

• TimBrp

Posted February 13, 2006 - 03:58 AM

Put a Pirelli MT-32 on the front of that bike and a Maxxis IT 120/100/18 on the rear. You'll be set.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SaltyWalrus

Posted February 13, 2006 - 08:00 AM

For an occasional muddy section, the R is fine. When the world is saturated and the entire ride is a slime-fest, the BRP tires me out and beats me down. Momentum is the bikes strength in dry conditions, but causes problems changing direction (cornering) in slimy conditions.

• weskc35k

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:03 PM

Fordy for Aussie conditions you can't go past the IRC vulcanduro VE33 they last a long time and grip good as well.
On my cr500 i get 4 rides from a Dunlop 739 rear but with a VE33 i can get up to 28 rides they are a very tough tyre.
They are also cheap compared to other tyres being up to 20 bucks cheaper each end..

• BIGGITY

Posted March 28, 2006 - 06:25 AM

Welcome to the world of the tire eating piggy. Be prepared to spend your life savings on tires because these bikes go through them fast. :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Welcome to the world of the tire eating piggy. Be prepared to spend your life savings on tires because these bikes go through them fast. :thumbsup:

Ditto to that....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.