Exhaust wrecked!

8 replies to this topic
  • Dave_B

Posted September 19, 2001 - 03:10 PM

Hey, I had to re-register.

Made the mistake of letting a "buddy" try my bike last week, and told him not to open it up in first, since he doesn't ride dirt bikes. Of course after a couple minutes he stalled it, and I had to start it for him. I was on my boy's 90, and joked I'd race him back. So away he rolls twenty feet, hammers it and loops out "HUGE" The bike lands right on the exhaust (stock thankfully) and snaps the rear fender, bends the exhaust 3" away from the bike with a big kink in it.

Also the handle bars sandwiched right down to the tank. I ask him if he's OK, and he says bewildered "but I had the clutch out." My fault I'm sure.

Anyways, what is the best aftermarket somewhat quiet exhaust. Don't want real noisy bike, I'd even take stock exhaust again. What do you guys recommend for best bang for the buck, with noise as an issue.

------------------
2000 WR400
2001 TTR 90
2000 XR 50

• Thumper33

Posted September 19, 2001 - 05:14 PM

Ya, my buddy who'd never ridden did pretty much the same thing, except he wasn't even trying to hammer it. It was weird. Like the bike didn't want him on it :) Broke my fender good, but luckilly didn't touch the exhaust somehow.

Anyway, I'm going to be getting a new exhaust here soon with the Big Guns Group Buy. Those aren't cheap exhaust systems, but as far as I can tell very high tech. you can save $100 on one if you want to go that route. If you want though, I'll sell you my stock exhaust cheap.

------------------
2000 WR400F - Throttle stop shortened, Grey Wire Cut, Filter Cover Removed, Panoram Computer...

• *mike68*

Posted September 19, 2001 - 09:13 PM

I looped mine this winter, it happens.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 20, 2001 - 03:17 AM

Hey Thumper....

You say $100.00 discount....Big Gun recently quoted me $450.00 for my 99.....Does this mean that you will be selling for around $350.00 or so?

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lewichris

Posted September 20, 2001 - 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Dave B:
Hey, I had to re-register.

Made the mistake of letting a "buddy" try my bike last week, and told him not to open it up in first, since he doesn't ride dirt bikes. Of course after a couple minutes he stalled it, and I had to start it for him. I was on my boy's 90, and joked I'd race him back. So away he rolls twenty feet, hammers it and loops out "HUGE" The bike lands right on the exhaust (stock thankfully) and snaps the rear fender, bends the exhaust 3" away from the bike with a big kink in it.

Also the handle bars sandwiched right down to the tank. I ask him if he's OK, and he says bewildered "but I had the clutch out." My fault I'm sure.

Anyways, what is the best aftermarket somewhat quiet exhaust. Don't want real noisy bike, I'd even take stock exhaust again. What do you guys recommend for best bang for the buck, with noise as an issue.

i have a stock exhaust that is pretty much brand new. i will give it to you for 50 bucks. But i will need 20 for shipping. Let me know what you think. lewichris@yahoo.com

------------------
If life is not a blur. You aren't going fast enough

• #1_Hit-man

Posted September 20, 2001 - 11:29 AM

Is yours a 2001 ? I need a 2001 header for my yz426. It will help with taking out the oil filter. And if you have one what do you want for it? THANX! ~Hit-man~

------------------
00'YZ426F 00'XR50R LATER DAYS!!!

[This message has been edited by #1 Hit-man (edited September 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by #1 Hit-man (edited September 20, 2001).]

• Dave_B

Posted September 20, 2001 - 01:12 PM

Talked to my bike mechanic today, and he says he may be able to "iron" the wrinkle out of the exhaust and save it. He hasn't seen it yet, but says they "blow" the tube to straighten it. I'll bring it to him on Saturday and see what he thinks. If he can't I will consider maybe buying a stocker off one of you guys, but would prefer the stock YZ one, or is that one really noisy?

I'll keep you posted. By the way, how much are the Big Gun exhausts selling for on this site, and I also have to consider U.S. dollar exchange!

------------------
2000 WR400
2001 TTR 90
2000 XR 50

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 20, 2001 - 03:23 PM

Dave,

Someone on the 250 side has modified his stock canadian exhaust and says it works great. If yours is bent between mounting flange and endcap then this may be another option for ya. I think i might try this on mine but am going to wait for the stock yz pipe i bought,just to minimize downtime.
Chris

• Dave_B

Posted September 30, 2001 - 12:33 PM

Well, the exhaust could be repaired, which was quite unbelievable to me. It had a huge kink in it, but the guy fixed to like brand new. $40.00 only, and it fits like new!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.