Sand Paddle

13 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted February 10, 2006 - 10:09 PM

I'm going out to Sand Mountain in a couple of weeks and I need to buy a paddle tire. Since I know nothing about them, I need a little advice. What brand, what size, how many paddles and are there clearance issues I need to worry about? Thank you in advance to the gurus :thumbsup:...SC

• boer

Posted February 11, 2006 - 05:07 AM

Hey Clark4131,

I dont have one but I know someone that swears by his paddle tire and wouldn't leave home without it. He has a 05YZF450. I've sent you a PM. :thumbsup:

• firezwr426

Posted February 11, 2006 - 07:06 AM

here is a link to previous discussion...
http://www.thumperta...2&parentpage=10

• clark4131

Posted February 11, 2006 - 12:43 PM

Okay, so it looks like since I'm running 13/50 I can go with a 10 blade tire. What about adding links to my chain for clearance? Lastly, what's a good brand/model to go with? Danca...SC

• DWS450

Posted February 11, 2006 - 03:20 PM

Can't beat this... Closeout @ $26.00.

http://www.rockymoun...roductDetail.do

Enjoy!

• DWS450

Posted February 11, 2006 - 03:24 PM

That link doesn't seem to work... Just go to Rocky Mountain & search "paddle"

• clark4131

Posted February 11, 2006 - 04:17 PM

I've got a bunch of gift cards to the local independent MX shop, so price is not a big deal. I just want to know what brand is a good value...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DWS450

Posted February 12, 2006 - 07:31 AM

I've been running the Cheng Shin 8 paddle for years & have never had any issues. Go cheap since no paddle tire will ever wear out if you stay on sand. We've ridden in Oregon several times & had to ride through asphalt campgrounds to access the dunes... Still no trouble.

There are some cool looking new treads if you want to spend more.

• clark4131

Posted February 12, 2006 - 07:48 AM

I just talked to a buddy last night and he said he likes the KT-977, though he's run the Cheng Shin before. I can get them for close to the same price, so I'll probably go with the KT. Now what about clearance/chain length issues?...SC

• DWS450

Posted February 12, 2006 - 07:57 AM

You mentioned that you are changing you sprockets, so I'm not sure what that will do to your chain length. I just paddled up for a trip to Pismo & had to add a link. I run stock gearing.

Here I go again suggesting "cheap"... I run the cheapest, chain I can find at the beach. If you ride hard, you will stretch the crap out of your chain, so get a "throw away" chain for the sand.

• clark4131

Posted February 12, 2006 - 09:25 AM

I still have my stock chain on, but I did drop my countershaft down one tooth, so I should have half a link longer already. Maybe that'll be enough. I guess I'll find out when I get the tire...SC

• Yamaster

Posted February 12, 2006 - 10:26 PM

I'm hopefully goin up to Sand Mountain on presidents day. I used to have a cheng shin 8 paddle on my old 95 yz250, but i didnt like it too well. I got an AMS sand snake 10 paddle for the 450 but havent tested it yet. I went down one tooth in the front and back though.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted February 13, 2006 - 05:55 PM

I wouldn't go with a ten paddle myself, you will find yourself floating on the sand too much, I used an 8-paddle on my 450 and hookup is great. I prefer a tire I do not think is available any more, a Scatrak Viper. It has stiffer sidewalls than most the sand paddles out there and also stiffer paddle configuration. I may weigh a little more but hooks up great.

• ISBB

Posted February 13, 2006 - 05:59 PM

I keep popping tubes so what i was thinking about doing was since those permanent non popable tubes are about 12-15 psi i was going to run a 10blade tire to make up for the slippage.. :thumbsup: but currently im running the kings turbo KT-977 whatever it is paddle and love the damn thing... just hate ripping tubes every weekend..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.