600R motard gearing

1 reply to this topic
  • DaveySprocket

Posted February 10, 2006 - 08:58 PM

I have been playing around with gearing after putting some 17's on my 94 600R, so I thought I would put the information out there for others that might be headed down the same road. Feel free to add your own experiences/opinions. One of the considerations that I used when making gearing choices was not having to change the stock chain length. Obviously adding or removing links would give you some additional options, but I wanted to keep things fairly simple.

14/48 (3.43) This is the stock gearing and was way too short for the riding that I do (city and twisties with some short freeway blasts). The thing wheelied by just cracking the throttle from a stop which was fun, but it was out of the powerband too fast.

15/45 (3.00) This was my first mod and although the freeway cruising was much improved, it felt too tall. I did not like having to clutch that much to get going.

14/45 (3.21) This was my next try since it did not require any new sprockets, as well as being about halfway between the two prior setups. This was pretty close to what I wanted, but still felt a little short. This setup also put the wheel pretty far back in the adjustment range. I am not sure if I could have gone any smaller with the sprockets without dropping a link. The other similar setup was 15/48 which is very similar in ratio (3.20) but put the wheel very forward in the adjustment range. I think any larger in sprockets would require adding a link.

15/47 (3.13) This is what I have now and it seems perfect. Just enough top end to not feel like a target on the freeway, but plenty of grunt to get the bike going from a stop or out of tight turns. This setup also puts the wheel close to center in the adjustment range, which is where I like to have it.

Hope this helps!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted February 11, 2006 - 02:06 AM

Supermotard/street use gearing for XR600 (uncorked): 15 X 45
With tuning (628cc HRC kit /640cc or 660cc) : 15 X 42
With the same chain (for the 45 rear),you can ride off-road: 14 x 48

For street use grind the inside of the headers(Gordon mods XR400) or bigger headers and jet the bike right: more top-end.Or do the air box mod with a XR650R carb.Works nice. :thumbsup:
Check oil level frequently! (with the highway/street-use)

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.