Clarke tanks are not good fitting replicas

30 replies to this topic
  • exaresix

Posted February 10, 2006 - 05:25 PM

I just put a new Clarke OEM replica tank on my xr600r. The tank looks great right out of the box, but I noticed that there was a 3/4 inch gap between the tank an side panel plastic, where once there was none. I took the tank off, and put my old OEM on...no gap. Put the new Clarke back on the same way...big gap. The Clarke also doesn't mate up as cleanly with the seat either. Finally, the plastic throat insert under the filler cap on the OEM will not fit into the Clarke tank. All very disappointing. They could have made a carbon copy of the OEM, but didn't quite get it. The Clarke is half the money, but you are only getting half the tank.

• grreatdog

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Call them. They made a problem right for me in the past at no cost. It can't hurt to try.

• GIANTac1

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:17 PM

You should of got some foam to close the gap between the frame and tank and all necessary hardware for everything to work :thumbsup: Mine works and fits just fine.......return it if you need to.

• exaresix

Posted February 10, 2006 - 07:05 PM

You should of got some foam to close the gap between the frame and tank and all necessary hardware for everything to work :thumbsup: Mine works and fits just fine.......return it if you need to.

That's not the problem, the Clarke tank will not drop down over the frame far enough. More foam would make the problem worse. I have the hardware too. Check the distance between the back of your tank and the edge of the side panel. I'll bet there is a 3/4" gap. I'll give 'em a call and see what they say.

• goblin127

Posted February 10, 2006 - 09:15 PM

Mine fit's perfect.

• mikekay

Posted February 10, 2006 - 11:03 PM

I hate the internet.

• exaresix

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:32 AM

Mine fit's perfect.

Hmmm...makes me think maybe they sent it for an earlier year...1980s? Anyhow, I wrote them, and await an answer.

• CalRMX

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:40 AM

Just out of interest, why didn't you call Clarke first and explain the problem before making this public? There may be an innocent explanation, Clarke must have sold 1000's of XR600R tanks over the years. They can't all have had fitting problems like your experiencing, right?
DC

I just put a new Clarke OEM replica tank on my xr600r. The tank looks great right out of the box, but I noticed that there was a 3/4 inch gap between the tank an side panel plastic, where once there was none. I took the tank off, and put my old OEM on...no gap. Put the new Clarke back on the same way...big gap. The Clarke also doesn't mate up as cleanly with the seat either. Finally, the plastic throat insert under the filler cap on the OEM will not fit into the Clarke tank. All very disappointing. They could have made a carbon copy of the OEM, but didn't quite get it. The Clarke is half the money, but you are only getting half the tank.

• XRidiculous

Posted February 11, 2006 - 10:07 AM

I'll say something positive. My IMS tank is good. Have a nice day

• nate992v

Posted February 11, 2006 - 10:15 AM

I have the 4 gallon Clarke for my XR600 and had no problems. Maybe they sent out the wrong one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted February 11, 2006 - 10:39 AM

I hate the internet.

yeah, sometimes it works in your favor, some times it screws you over.......just think, without it, u wouldnt know anything learned on tt.

• exaresix

Posted February 11, 2006 - 11:12 AM

Just out of interest, why didn't you call Clarke first and explain the problem before making this public? There may be an innocent explanation, Clarke must have sold 1000's of XR600R tanks over the years. They can't all have had fitting problems like your experiencing, right?
DC

Since you asked a question, "just out of interest," I'll assume you were not being rhetorical, and I'll answer you. I read this forum regularly, and simply wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem or suggestions before I went to the company. I could have done the reverse, but I didn't think there was an issue of ethics involved. The fact that I am receiving responses on this forum should be justification enough for my posing this query.

I haven't heard back from them, but it is Saturday. For your interest, I measured the stock tank vs. the Clarke, and indeed there is a 3/4 inch difference in length between the two. Whether they have sold 1000s of tanks or not, a ruler doesn't lie. I think this information may be of interest to those who wish to replace their old OEM tank, and want the new one to be identical to the the old one. The Clarke OEM replica I received mounts up nicely and functions well, however it is measurably shorter and not a true replica. I will post the results of my question to Clarke here when I receive them, for others who may be interested.

• exaresix

Posted February 11, 2006 - 11:31 AM

DC

I'm not trashing Clarke at all, just sharing info on my experience with their product, so I don't know why you are so defensive. Certainly you are not one to refrain from critical reports. Allow me to quote one of your previous posts about Chaparral and another company:

Here it is:

Re: chaparral-racing no good to order from

I called those morons a couple of years ago to see if they had a YZ brake line in stock, they said they did, so I drove all the way from OC (45 miles to get it)

When I get there they said they didn't have it!!! They didn't even give a damn!

I've bought stuff there since, but I don't like the experience of going there. I don't like going to Bert's either! These large Megamalls are completely soulless employing morons.
dc

• exaresix

Posted February 13, 2006 - 04:52 PM

I received an interesting reply from Clarke regarding the smaller size of the replica tank I received. It makes some sense! Here it is:

David

This tank was made from a stock unit. The problem is that there is some shrinkage involved in the roto-molding process..
The tank you received is overall just a bit smaller dimensionally than the OE tank.

The gap will go away after you run a few tanks of fuel through it.. The fuel actually swells the tank once it has been there awhile.
Also your stock tank has had fuel in it many times so it probably holds more than it originally did in the first place. Now that you put a tank that has never had fuel in it, the difference is that much more dramatic.

I hope this explains things for you. Please reply with thought or comment, we do appreciate the feedback.

Chris Roley
Clarke Mfg Co.

• Mantrasonica

Posted February 14, 2006 - 06:38 AM

How did you want that crow?

• HawkGT

Posted February 14, 2006 - 09:24 AM

I'm not trashing Clarke at all...[snip]

Dude, your thread is titled, "Clarke tanks are not good fitting replicas".

Personally, I think your expectations are too high. In my experience, very few products (tanks and otherwise), especially those made from plastic, ever look or fit exactly like the OEM originals.

If you want exact OEM fit and finish, buy OEM. Good luck.

• CalRMX

Posted February 14, 2006 - 01:46 PM

I received an interesting reply from Clarke regarding the smaller size of the replica tank I received. It makes some sense! Here it is:

David

This tank was made from a stock unit. The problem is that there is some shrinkage involved in the roto-molding process..
The tank you received is overall just a bit smaller dimensionally than the OE tank.

The gap will go away after you run a few tanks of fuel through it.. The fuel actually swells the tank once it has been there awhile.
Also your stock tank has had fuel in it many times so it probably holds more than it originally did in the first place. Now that you put a tank that has never had fuel in it, the difference is that much more dramatic.

I hope this explains things for you. Please reply with thought or comment, we do appreciate the feedback.

Chris Roley
Clarke Mfg Co.

If you had waited for a reply from Clarke then you wouldn't have had to start this thread correct? All would have been clear, right?

And in regards to my posting a negative about Chapparal, that's slightly different, You started a thread without the full grasp of the facts. I had a full grasp of the facts when I made my Chapparal post.

It's very easy to start a negative thread going which could affect a product, when in fact there wasn't really a problem to start with.

• exaresix

Posted February 14, 2006 - 03:52 PM

If you had waited for a reply from Clarke then you wouldn't have had to start this thread correct? All would have been clear, right?

And in regards to my posting a negative about Chapparal, that's slightly different, You started a thread without the full grasp of the facts. I had a full grasp of the facts when I made my Chapparal post.

It's very easy to start a negative thread going which could affect a product, when in fact there wasn't really a problem to start with.

Oh, you just can't let this one alone. As far as the facts go, the tanks, as received do not fit well. They are nearly an inch short. Now I am satisfied for the time being that it may expand as the company has claimed, and I have shared this with everyone here, so that if they have the same experience that I do and discover the FACT that the tank is short, that it may, according to the company expand to normal. I was much kinder to Clarke in my comments than your base remarks about Chapparal, which "thousands of others" including myself have used with satisfaction. I like Clarke Mfg., but the tank is simply ill-fitting as received, and that's some information I think everyone can use. Maybe it will fit some day, we'll see.

• CalRMX

Posted February 14, 2006 - 11:00 PM

Oh, you just can't let this one alone. As far as the facts go, the tanks, as received do not fit well. They are nearly an inch short. Now I am satisfied for the time being that it may expand as the company has claimed, and I have shared this with everyone here, so that if they have the same experience that I do and discover the FACT that the tank is short, that it may, according to the company expand to normal. I was much kinder to Clarke in my comments than your base remarks about Chapparal, which "thousands of others" including myself have used with satisfaction. I like Clarke Mfg., but the tank is simply ill-fitting as received, and that's some information I think everyone can use. Maybe it will fit some day, we'll see.

Your right I can't let this go!!!!!!! You started it.

You would have looked a lot more inteligent if you had waited for Clarke to reply, and then asked the Forum, if in their experience the tank would expand with usage as Clarke suggested it would. You might have found some usefull respnses, maybe learnt something. I would never have looked at the thread if it hadn't been for the title, which I suspect was your intention.

You really should have called the thread "looking for help in fitting a Clarke tank" or someting similar.

I have a Clarke and was interested to find what you had to say. The beuty of the internet is that you can hide behind a keyboard and spout away to the possible detriment of others with possibly no consequence to your self.

If I recieved a tank that I thought was too short I would have called Clarke to find why it didn't fit, or sent it back. There could have been an innocent explanation.

BTW nobody goes to Chapparal to get good service, I would still go there if the price was right, but I don't expect either interested or knowledgable service. You might equate good prices with good customer satisfaction, they don't neccisarily go hand in hand. I'd rather go to Cycle gear or Hahm where their generally a lot more friendly

BFN. Looking forward to your reply. BTW I have a killer recipe for crow, having eaten enough recently I thought I'd at least make it palatable!

• exaresix

Posted March 07, 2006 - 05:48 AM

Just to let you know, the Clarke tank is still 3/4" short. It hasn't expanded a bit with gas in it. I'm not going to wait a year to see if it will miraculously transform. I'll be ordering an OEM. With Clarke's excellent return policy, I shouldn't have any problems.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.