Trouble removing bolt on flywheel

5 replies to this topic
  • blazen

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:45 PM

I'm trying to remove rotor so I can replace my timing chain. I have an E-line ignition on my 426. I'm using an impact driver but the nut will not loosen. Is it reverse thread?

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:41 PM

No, it's a right hand thread. If you don't have a flywheel holder or an air impact wrench, put the bike in 4th or 5th gear and put a 1x2 board or a hammer handle across the swing arm, as close to the rim as possible, then remove the nut with a socket and a long ratchet or driver. Check the torque in your manual, I believe it's something like 40 ft pounds.

You have a flywheel puller, right?

• blazen

Posted February 10, 2006 - 04:25 PM

The engine is off the bike and I dont have an air impact driver or fly wheel puller. How much is a flywheel puller? And I guess I will have to find an air impact driver. Thanks for the help-alex

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KX250FJP

Posted February 10, 2006 - 04:35 PM

I have a KX250F and I used an auto oil filter wrench to hold the flywheel while I turned the nut. I wrapped duct tape around the flywheel so I wouldn't scratch it. I did buy a flywheel puller, it's about the only way to safely get the flywheel off the crankshaft.

The puller cost about $20.00.

• RideRaceLive123

Posted February 10, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Just don't be stupid like me and use a impact wrench to tighten the flywheel nut and mess up the threads.But I was able to fix them with a tap and die set.

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2006 - 09:31 PM

Flywheel pullers are about $10-$15 almost everywhere.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.