"Natural" color tanks discoloring

7 replies to this topic
  • baja brad

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:15 PM

I have noticed some "natural" color (or white-ish) turned yellow. Is this a common problem? Can you keep them looking good? Any special cleaners? Am I better off purchasing a blue color tank for my Wr450?

• dbailey223

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:39 PM

I had the white sticker on the blue tank turn yellow because of gas fumes I am told. Not sure about an actual tank though.

• BNutZ

Posted February 10, 2006 - 01:01 PM

I have noticed some "natural" color (or white-ish) turned yellow. Is this a common problem? Can you keep them looking good? Any special cleaners? Am I better off purchasing a blue color tank for my Wr450?

I've heard if you drain the fuel out of them (every time) you can prolong the "yellowing" of the plastic. This is the reason I chose Acerbis 3.3 in Blue... it looks like it belongs on the bike!!! Great Fit!!!

• torch1822

Posted February 10, 2006 - 01:05 PM

I was told last night by my instructor at MMI that the plastic is pouris and the fuel actualy leaches into it and causes the discoloration.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted February 10, 2006 - 07:09 PM

I was told last night by my instructor at MMI that the plastic is pouris and the fuel actualy leaches into it and causes the discoloration.

:thumbsup:

This is why tank graphics have holes or cuts in them otherwise they will bubble.

I suppose the advantage of the natural tank over the white or blue is that you can see the fuel level without taking the cap off all the time. :thumbsup:

• rockieman

Posted February 10, 2006 - 08:24 PM

I have a white tank on my XR... I'm able to keep it white with Bar Keepers Friend and a scouring pad. It will keep it clean....but it will take the finish off the tank....leaving it with a dull finish.
I put up with the dull finish/ :thumbsup:

• Koko Azuela

Posted February 13, 2006 - 01:10 PM

I have a white tank on my XR... I'm able to keep it white with Bar Keepers Friend and a scouring pad. It will keep it clean....but it will take the finish off the tank....leaving it with a dull finish.
I put up with the dull finish/ :bonk:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: What the hell is "bar keepers friend", im interested if the tank could stay white and not yellow!!!

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted February 14, 2006 - 01:16 AM

my 04 WR450 has done this also. The tank stickers are all yellow now only after a year and a half.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.