Zip-ty air screw '06 "Help"???

7 replies to this topic
  • Few

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:13 PM

The Stock air adj. screw seems to have a cap/plug over it with a small hole to reach the screw in side with a small flat blade screw driver. I bought the new screw and it say to "consult your mechanic" if unsure what to do.
Ok, can anyone help tell me the best way to get the cap off? It does not come out when the screw is backed out, nor easy to pry off/out from the hole. Thanks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• dbailey223

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:43 PM

My 03 WR 450 didn't have that cap. BUt, if you do a search here, I recall posts about prying that sucker out.

And, I think it's called a fuel screw on a 4 stroke, air screw on a 2 stroke. So, that might help your search.

• Few

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Thank's, I did not want to do something I would be sorry for later.

• John M62

Posted February 10, 2006 - 01:55 PM

If you fid out let me know. I have an 05 and I have the same problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:46 PM

Turn the carb or pull it off completely so you have access to the cap. Screw a small machine screw into the little hole and use it for leverage to wiggle the thing out. The cap is on there to comply with CARB smog requirements, nothing more. BTW, 2-strokes have air screws, 4-strokes have fuel screws :thumbsup:..SC

• Derik Tate

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Pull off the bottom of your carb and tap it out with small screwdriver.

• John M62

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Thanks, I will do it this weekend.

• Few

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Done... big deal, It's just a aluminum plug. With a little light pry from the inside of the hole with a pick tool (small needle nose worked for me) on one side, then the other , back and forth, it will release then one side will pop up/out. Grab with needle nose and remove. Thanks for the help. I was just slightly paranoid since I have not had a chance to ride it yet until today.

*** It fired right up!*** :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :thumbsup:

JD Kit-
168 mj
Red #4
Zip-ty screw
Rear Caliper guard
Front Disc guard
Skid Plate,(on back order)
Frame guards
Hand guards
PMB, (due Monday)
Magnet on drain plug

Air Box cut outs
Gray wire
Exhaust insert
Ais, (on TT back order)
1" off each handle bar end

Wish list:
48 pj
40 lj

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.