2004 WR450 3.2 gal. tank problems

7 replies to this topic
  • baja brad

Posted February 10, 2006 - 11:57 AM

I own a 2004 WR450 and need the bigger fuel tank for long rides down Baja.
I have looked at IMS, Acerbis, Zipty, and Clark. I get different answers from shops and manufactureers. When I put the bigger tank on I know I need YZ450 radiator shrouds. Do I need a YZ seat also? I have been told yes by IMS, but No from a couple local shops that sell the stuff. They say the WR seat is too wide and doesn't work. I really dont want to purchase a tank and shrouds then lead into a bunch more costs (seat is $150 from Yamaha).

Anybody out there running the Acerbis on 2004 WR450? or an IMS on 2004?
How did they fit? What do you recommend?

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:18 PM

Do a search. This has just recently been discussed at length.

• baja brad

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:37 PM

I did a search! Extensive search. Nobody talked about the seat fitting. Alot of the bikes were not 2004 either.

• Matty05

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:43 PM

Alot of the bikes were not 2004 either.

'03-'06 WR's use same aftermarket tank. The '03 and '04 bikes just have to use the YZ shrouds. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:55 PM

The general consesus here is that the Acerbis tank (sold also as GYT-R) is the best.
http://www.mach1moto..._FUEL_TANKS.htm

Here is the Aussie yamaha site GYT-R one:
http://www.yamaha-mo...ion&ProdID=2588

• jerryls

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:11 PM

I have an '04 WR w/ the Acerbis, YZ shrouds, and original WR seat. You should be good to go.

Jerry

• Koko Azuela

Posted February 10, 2006 - 04:11 PM

I have the Acerbis with YZ shrouds, great fit, the tank has 2 holes for the seat lock, it's even written on the tank for whatever model you want to use it, 2 petcocks, can't beat it!!
The WR seat will fit with the acerbis, not sure about the IMS...

• baja brad

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:45 PM

Thanks, I ordered up an Acerbis! I really appreciate the feedback!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.