Larger Gas Tanks

17 replies to this topic
  • Iggy1

Posted February 10, 2006 - 07:15 AM

I own a 2000 XR650R uncorked and street plated with 15/45 gearing. I want a bigger tank and looked at the IMS 7 gal for $300.95 and the ACERBIS 6 gal for $198.95. Does anyone have either of these and which fit better. Don't want to modify the seat or anything. Also noticed that the Acerbis still uses the air ducks to keep air flowing. Are there problems in cooling with the IMS. I really not sure which to buy. Your help please and thanks. Iggy

• targetdrone

Posted February 10, 2006 - 07:21 AM

Unless you are doing Paris-Dakar, I'd look for something in the 4-5 gallon range. My 4 gallon IMS tank on my XR600 covers the motor a bit, but I've never had overheating problems.

• brichter

Posted February 10, 2006 - 10:11 AM

Unless you are doing Paris-Dakar, I'd look for something in the 4-5 gallon range. My 4 gallon IMS tank on my XR600 covers the motor a bit, but I've never had overheating problems.

+1 Not even Paris-Dakar, more like Earth-Moon! 7 gallons is a load, and it's pretty high up on the bike. not sure how that would affect the handling, but probably not for the better. I had a 4.7 on my old 600, the extra 8.5 lbs took a little getting used to. Not sure how it would go with an extra 18 lbs (3 gals.)

• ewbish

Posted February 10, 2006 - 10:23 AM

I own a 2000 XR650R uncorked and street plated with 15/45 gearing. I want a bigger tank and looked at the IMS 7 gal for $300.95 and the ACERBIS 6 gal for $198.95. Does anyone have either of these and which fit better. Don't want to modify the seat or anything. Also noticed that the Acerbis still uses the air ducks to keep air flowing. Are there problems in cooling with the IMS. I really not sure which to buy. Your help please and thanks. Iggy

If you want a 7 gal tank, you are going to have to do some work to your bike. At a bare min you'll have to get heavier fork springs. You will more than likely have to get the forks revalved though, the front end is just not going to handle that extra weight located high and forward and still be remotely controllable offroad. Get a 4, the 4 seems to be just about right. You can go +-150 miles, it doesn't sit to wide, good airflow to the engine, and you can barely feel the difference.

• rkuckkahn

Posted February 10, 2006 - 10:45 AM

Yep, I've got a Clarke 4 gallon based on comments in forums actually. The stock steel tank weight in combination with fuel about equals the plastic tank with 4 gallons. I held on to my stock tank thinking that adding a gallon or so with an aftermarket would add to the high center of gravity but again the steel tank is heavy, dry. I can't notice the difference since, like everyone pointed out, the weight is almost the same. 150 miles is pleantly long to be on the seat or traveling back-country.

My opinion 7 gallons is too much and dimensions of that size get "in the way". My two cents.

• hill5150

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:50 PM

I have the IMS 4.8 or so works awesome...check it

http://img.photobuck...legal650003.jpg

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 11, 2006 - 10:45 AM

yeah, there is really no reason for a 7 gallon tank.....if anything, get the side pannel gas tank....there like a gallon and a half.....5 gallons will get you a good 125 miles of very hard riding.

• karvinkarl

Posted February 11, 2006 - 04:53 PM

I have the 6 gallon Acerbis tank on my 2000 XR650R. It has really come in handy for me on trips through Baja and even in the Rockies. It mounts fine with no modifacations. I call it the mothership. I have the 4.6 gallon on my 2003 650R on my last trip to Baja and carried an extra gallon and a quarter on the rack. I am able to go around 300 miles with 6 gallons. Personally, I don''t see a point spending an extra $100 on the IMS tank for an extra gallon. The bottom line is that you probably will rarely need to go 300 miles between fuel stops. I would stick with the IMS 4 gallon tank. The bike feels way smaller and more manageable.

• XRmeister

Posted February 11, 2006 - 09:09 PM

I just ordered a Clarke 4.7 for my 650L for $170.00. I also have an XR600 with a large IMS tank. I'm not so worried about having enough fuel to get to my destination but I do worry about getting back the next day. A 6 or 7 gallon tank would require major mods. There would be handling issues. Where are you planning on riding?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maddox101

Posted February 11, 2006 - 11:41 PM

I just bought my 4.3 gallon on rockymountainmc.com for 150.00. Not a bad price and it's plenty big!

• Iggy1

Posted February 12, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Karvinkarl, I was thinking of the Acrebis 6 gal because the rad shruds,can't spell, are part of the tank and it keeps the weight lower. To answer some questions, Alot of my riding is in the Highlands of Cape Breton where you could ride for hundreds of klms, and we stay up there for 2 or 3 days. My friends ride XT 600's a have 22L and 28L tanks and I'm tired of carrying 2, 5L cans with me, one on my bike and one on my friends bike and still having to plan it so we get near a town to get gas. When I first bought the BRP I was 315lbs and I'm 6'7" so had to revalve/respring the front and respring the rear. Know I'm 235lbs so the bike should take the weight of 6gal. Am I right in saying the acerbis carries its gas a little lower,Karvinkarl. It sure looks like it and does it come with 1 or 2 petcocks? Thanks Iggy

• spell

Posted February 12, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Go with the acribis tank better all around

• HC

Posted February 18, 2006 - 08:06 PM

6-7 gal weight is only a problem when its full. so its heavy the first 2 gal, oh well.
and yes some need waaay more then 150 mile range. go to advrider/horizonsunlimited for examples. some guys need more on a klr650.
consider a heat shield ( foil stuff) for the underside of the tank, I'd love to do cape breton , long way from here though.

• oldturtle

Posted February 19, 2006 - 08:26 AM

I own the 7.0 IMS. Bought it for one trip where we needed a 250 mile fuel range. The tank and the included vacuum fuel pump worked fine and did not cause any overheating. I also carried a tool pouch on lower triple clamp plus a tank pannier with extra gear so with all this weight plus 7.0 gal I had Precision Concepts re spring and re valve front end. The forks work fine for me even when going back to my normal 3.2 IMS. The 4.6 IMS is by far the best size for most applications except for racing or other uses where a 50 to 75 mile range is adequate. I have also loaned my 7.0 to friends who needed to supply gas for riding buds on several occasions and they were all happy with the tank. When loaning out tank they did not re work suspension and bike was OK on the easy dirt roads and slow trails of their trip. For bogeying you will need suspension work for sure.

• Dune7

Posted February 20, 2006 - 05:57 AM

I have the Acerbis 6.0 gal. Fits perfectly and looks better IMHO than the "others" ,also because the "shrouds" are now the tank the center of gravity is much lower so it does not really affect handling too much. You will (depending how "large" you are) probably have to increase your fork spring rating because of the added weight of fuel. I am 6'4" 250 lbs and have a 11kg (stock 9.2kg) rear spring and .49 kg(stock is .43 kg I think) fork springs works like a dream!

• wickedsprint

Posted February 20, 2006 - 06:57 AM

I weigh 160lbs,I might be able to get away with a 6 gallon tank on stock springs, we'll see.

• 100mpg

Posted March 06, 2006 - 04:13 AM

Where are you guys finding the 6.0 gal tanks? I need a large tank for my one year trip trip X-country, US and Canada. I am going way north and it is not a place you want to run out of gas. I will already have any free space loaded with camping gear so carrying an extra container is not possible. I cant find these tanks anywhere!

• CFAmD7G

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Where are you guys finding the 6.0 gal tanks? I need a large tank for my one year trip trip X-country, US and Canada. I am going way north and it is not a place you want to run out of gas. I will already have any free space loaded with camping gear so carrying an extra container is not possible. I cant find these tanks anywhere!

They are imported to the US from Italy by Scotts USA, the latest information on availability from them is April 26th.

I have located a IMS 7 in stock for $198 but am holding out for the Acerbis 6.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.