Dumb question about grips

11 replies to this topic
  • wildchubby

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Ok I admit its been way to long since Ive changed grips on a bike. Whats the best way to cover up this gap. The stock throttle tube has a lip where the oem grip had a matching grove to slip into. The aftermarket grip does not have this groove. Any good tricks to clean this up?

http://i46.photobuck...chubby/grip.jpg

Thanks,
W

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:51 PM

not something i would worry about.....dont know what u could do.....maybe wrap a very thin strip of electrical tape and wrap it around the white plastic....just cover that.

• goblin127

Posted February 09, 2006 - 09:17 PM

If the groove is small it wont be a problem. I have had good luck putting grips on with hair spray, It slides right on and then after it dries I cant budge them. I still run safty wire around them though.

• bork

Posted February 09, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Ok I admit its been way to long since Ive changed grips on a bike. Whats the best way to cover up this gap. The stock throttle tube has a lip where the oem grip had a matching grove to slip into. The aftermarket grip does not have this groove. Any good tricks to clean this up?

http://i46.photobuck...chubby/grip.jpg

Thanks,
W

I saw somewhere to use laquer paint spray & will lube then dry grips on . I still safty wired in two places & still grips are walking to barkbusters . :thumbsup:

• TeaOneAndOnly

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:12 PM

actually that is as far as the grip goes. The grips not holding it back there is actually a plastic piece on the throttle tube holding back. You might want to loosen the whole throttle assemble and movie it to the right like 2 cm. Its hard to explain by typing sorry.

• wildchubby

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:58 PM

The grip is very solid on the throttle tube. The main problem I see is that Ive got about 3/4" of unseated grip at the bar end. If I was to put hand guards on the bike all that grip would be wadded up and look like a POS? Any other ideas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brichter

Posted February 09, 2006 - 11:39 PM

Just don't do a lot of riding in the rain, or the hairspray will lose it's grip.

Whatever happened to grip cement? That's what I use.

• thatsgonnaleaveamark

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:39 AM

you file down the lip flush with throttle tube,buy a nylon washer that fits over throttle tube, and then install grip.washer gives you 1/16 clearance, and deletes the gap. i use renthal grip glue on first inch of bar, or throttle tube, then work grip on.then i take a new razor blade, and cut out the very ends of the grips, enuff to install barkbuster bolts. i have got it down to a science, enuff that almost everyone i ride with has me do theirs also. taking my time, i can change a set complete in 1/2 hour. hope that helps a little.

• Fordskin

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:35 AM

All i did was cut off the flanged bit with a sharp knife. It cuts easy. I had to also cut a hole in the end of my new grips and slide them more towards the center of the bars to accomadate the ends of the barkbusters. Dont worry just shave off the flanged bit and push it further on. :thumbsup:

• wildchubby

Posted February 10, 2006 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'll try shaving off the plastic flange later today.

• bork

Posted February 10, 2006 - 05:14 AM

you file down the lip flush with throttle tube,buy a nylon washer that fits over throttle tube, and then install grip.washer gives you 1/16 clearance, and deletes the gap. i use renthal grip glue on first inch of bar, or throttle tube, then work grip on.then i take a new razor blade, and cut out the very ends of the grips, enuff to install barkbuster bolts. i have got it down to a science, enuff that almost everyone i ride with has me do theirs also. taking my time, i can change a set complete in 1/2 hour. hope that helps a little.

I'll let you do mine . Do you use compressed air to blow em on ? I suppose I need to invest in some renthal grip glue.

• goblin127

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:53 AM

I'll let you do mine . Do you use compressed air to blow em on ? I suppose I need to invest in some renthal grip glue.

Find some hair spray it's what a lot of people have used for years. Then safty wire them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.