Just got an 05 450F, whats first?

9 replies to this topic
  • reedMX450F

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Hey guys, just picked up a brand new 2005 YZF450 tonight.... it was a left over at the local shop got it for $6,000 OTD. What should be done to the bike before i break her out? Also is there anything i should know about the bike. Is the front tire crap like the 06? let me know guys i appreciate it. Im excited to have a bike again after i sold my 01 YZ425 a few years ago :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• Ga426owner

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:59 PM

sweet ride buddy............dump the chain and the tires for DID ERT / chain and either Dunlop 756 or Michelin Starcross Ms3's.....to start - ride it and hold on............. :thumbsup:
It will be unlike your 426....... :thumbsup:

• Juniordog

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:09 PM

niiiice. i got mine for 5800 OTD hehe.

well ive taken mine out i think 5 times now and the chain is sagging already so id ditch that ASAP.

i live in cali so i had to throw down a grip to get a quieter pipe and spark arrestor....

get ready for violent power....its amazing.

word of wisdom: keep it away from pavement! big power + pavement + dirt tires = where did my tread go?!!?!

enjoy

• Butta

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Ditto on the chain and tires, and slide the forks up 5mm in the clamps (to the first line) and get a ZipTye fuel screw to help the fine tuning. I've got over 52 hours on mine, and have enjoyed every minute of owning it. I got mine for $6600 OTD 14 months ago!! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, and buy an hourmeter....makes keeping up with the maintenance intervals MUCH simpler. Take the guesswork out of it.

• reedMX450F

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys, i was planning on changing out the bars and chain for sure(going saturday to order that stuff) the tires i wanted to make sure about. Is it both the rear and front tire? or is the rear ok and the front needs to be changed? i dont feel like sliding out everywhere :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jetsprint2

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:14 PM

Congrats on the new bike! I really like my 04'. :thumbsup:

• muddza

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:23 PM

Just Ride Ride Ride, and worry about all the rest later.......the front tyre does suck though.......

• Roosten

Posted February 09, 2006 - 11:54 PM

:thumbsup: Good deal on the price!

I recommend a new chain and rear sprocket. The stock chain and sprocket will be stretched by your third ride. Break it in slow and change the oil after 3 to 5 hrs for the first break in. (change the oil filter also)

Roosten

• yzvet

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:31 AM

This is pure spam but if you want a ti Shock spring I have one on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...me=STRK:MESE:IT

• Butta

Posted February 10, 2006 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for the info guys, i was planning on changing out the bars and chain for sure(going saturday to order that stuff) the tires i wanted to make sure about. Is it both the rear and front tire? or is the rear ok and the front needs to be changed? i dont feel like sliding out everywhere :thumbsup:

If you are riding on hard pack tracks/trails, then the rear works pretty good. But unless you are riding on pavement, get rid of the front tire. Ask around your riding areas to see what the popular tire is, then start your research from there. There's a lot of options to choose from, some people are Bridgestone diehards, some Dunlop, some Michelin, etc....

As for the break in, I did mine per the manual and changed the oil/filter after 1 hour and the oil again after the first 4 hours, then every 5 hours with a filter change every other oil change....you'll find people have their own schedule, and this is what I have chosen.

Also, you might (just for information sake) want to check your valve clearances to see what baseline you are starting from. It's not difficult, just takes a little time, and knowing this from the start will give you the ability to know if the clearance changes at all. Yamaha's have a rock solid reputation, so this is not out of fear or concern, merely for a better understanding of the condition of your bike when you finally get around to checking them again at 50 hours. :bonk: :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.