Needing to get a new FRONT tire. Which to get?

32 replies to this topic
  • 01wr426

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:00 PM

I am in definate need of a new front tire. I am still running a crappy/balding 739 Dunlop front tire. Currently size is 90-100-21.
I hate this tire. No matter where I ride it pushes in the turns.
I am running a Michilin-cross-comp H-12 130-80-18 rear currently which looks and acts like a tractor tire in everything but the slick wet rocks which I dont see very often anyway.

I need a front tire that will stick in loam, dirt, mud, & pebbles. I dont care how it wears. Can be any price range but cheaper is only better if the tire flat out rocks.

Tell me what you guys like and why :bonk: :thumbsup:
I am also wondering if I switched to a little wider tire it might match up better to the wide rear. What size do you suggest?

Thanks for your help!
I really need it because I dont have a clue which tire to get. :thumbsup:
Eric

• clark4131

Posted February 10, 2006 - 05:20 AM

I've been happy with the Dunlop 756 and/or the Maxxis SI up front, both are soft/intermediate. I had the same issue with the 739 in the granite sand we have here, so I went with the softer compound and wider spaced lugs. I tend toward the Maxxis because I can usually find it for around $40, but they're both good tires...SC

• Fryboy

Posted February 10, 2006 - 05:57 AM

Try the Michelin S12. It is a beautiful thang

• 642MX

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:18 AM

Unlimited budget and you don't care how it wears? Get a 756RR. They wear fast, but they grip well to any surface.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Maxxis SI front is my favorite do all front tire! :thumbsup:

• firezwr426

Posted February 10, 2006 - 08:38 AM

Maxxis SI front is my favorite do all front tire! :thumbsup:

another vote for the maxxis SI :thumbsup:

• Bamster

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_WR450
Maxxis SI front is my favorite do all front tire!

another vote for the maxxis SI

Another other vote for the SI

• Matty05

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:37 PM

Ive been happy with the Dunlop 952's. The life out of them is awesome, as is the grip.

I must try the Maxxis tyres next, they get a very good report.

• bluebike1999

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:04 PM

s 12 very good

• kirkw

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:19 PM

Maxxis SI front :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 01wr426

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Well it looks like this so far.
5 posts for maxxis si
2 posts for S-12
2 posts for 756 (1-756rr)
1 post for a 952?

Now who has the best deal going on the maxxis right now?
Or do any of the others have a good sale price going on.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eric

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:21 PM

Another vote for S-12, wears fast and chunks off but until it does I have found nothing to stick better :thumbsup:

I will run S-12's for our wet WA winters and then switch to M-12's in the summer. Run S-12 rear year long except for desert then the Maxxis is mounted up :thumbsup:

• nevadaoutlaw

Posted February 10, 2006 - 09:13 PM

I am doing some desert races around so. cal. Usually, it seems like either sand or rocks. Would the SI work in the rocks as well? Any recommendations for the what kind of rear I should use? I noticed Maxxis has a desert tire. What are the Pro Maxxis guys running down here in the Hare Scrambles etc?

• ARin

Posted February 10, 2006 - 09:16 PM

Im in dry rocky desert terrain, and am currently running the Dunlop 952

I find that it is wearing VERY well, and steers well.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 11, 2006 - 03:47 AM

Maxxis SI front works great in rocks it wont chunk but if all you do is ride rocks it will crack the base of the side knobs in about 500 miles. The Maxxis IT Desert version is what the guys out west swear by for the rear. :thumbsup:

• nevadaoutlaw

Posted February 11, 2006 - 09:20 AM

Okay, I think I will go with a Maxxis SI in front and an IT in rear. It is sure to beat what I have now which is the stock worn Dunlop in front and a dual sport Dunlop in rear. I went riding the other day and I felt like the bike was all over the place.

• Bandit9

Posted February 11, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Soft terrain tires have a harder compound than intermediate tires. Softer compounds grip harder surfaces better. Harder compounds allow the wider spaced lugs to dig down. Think the rear tires on a top fuel dragster (real soft, like a marshmellow) vs. the rear tires on a tractor. Real hard and stiff tough rubber lugs.

You had it backwards. The is why an S12 or Maxxis SI will actually last longer than IT's will.

• Matty05

Posted February 11, 2006 - 09:06 PM

Soft terrain tires have a harder compound than intermediate tires. Softer compounds grip harder surfaces better. Harder compounds allow the wider spaced lugs to dig down. Think the rear tires on a top fuel dragster (real soft, like a marshmellow) vs. the rear tires on a tractor. Real hard and stiff tough rubber lugs.

You had it backwards. The is why an S12 or Maxxis SI will actually last longer than IT's will.

I think every manufacturer is different, a Kenda Carlsbad is anything but soft. The tread compound feels the same as the Melville. Both chunk and tear.

This is where I believe stick to a major manufacturer (Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone....) because of the technology and experience behind the rubber/carbon blend.

The dragster vs tractor tyres is definitely not a good comparison. :thumbsup:

• boer

Posted February 12, 2006 - 01:07 AM

Will going to wider tires on a bike for sand dune use improve your flotation on the sand and increase your ability to keep moving and not sink in? :thumbsup:

• lipskid

Posted February 12, 2006 - 08:15 AM

If you don't mind changing tires a bit more often, I like the D756 is the best. It's an excellent soft/intermediate tire and sticks pretty good on hard pack too. I've also tried Mich. S12 and Maxxis SI's and like them. They tend to skate a bit more on hard pack, but last longer. :thumbsup:

I've heard some complaints from some local fast guys that 756's pinch flat to easy. They prefer the SI's. I like em cause I hate changing tires.

(btw-Has anyone tried a SI rear?)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.