Offset triple clamps, 20mm vs 22 ??

4 replies to this topic
  • Blue4Ever

Posted February 09, 2006 - 05:51 PM

Any suggestions as to offset amount?Applied has the 22mm and Pro Taper offers the 20mm. I have a 05 YZ450F. I would like tomake it both track and trail freindly. Any suggestions welcome.

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:53 PM

I have a set of 22.5 Applieds on my '04, and I would not consider at all going any more than that. In fact, 23-23.5 would probably suit me better. It definitely turns better, but there's a price to pay for it. Actually, I'm surprised that anyone makes 20's for it. Read:

First Impressions

Follow up

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:41 PM

I agree. I have a set of 22's. I would be interested in trying the 20's, but the 22's are plenty good.

I have talked to several people who claim Team Yamaha uses 22's. No real proof of this. The clamps I bought were supposed to go to Yamaha's Mach 1 team for the 2003 season if that is of any help. If Yamaha settled on 22's fo rsupercross, I cannot imagien what the 20's would be good for.

• Blue4Ever

Posted February 10, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info and links Gray!! I will most likly go w/Applied, I run the 756 year round up here, (Northern Oregon and once in awhile eastern.) Generally soft stuff. I have a Scotts dampener off my old 501FX Berg. Guess it's time to pull it out and put it to work. I have another question for ya, did you notice any less compression braking w/the flywheel wieght?

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:10 AM

I have another question for ya, did you notice any less compression braking w/the flywheel wieght?

Not significantly, no. Maybe a little. I happen to like engine braking, having been raised on four strokes in the first place. Raising the idle will reduce it a bit at lower rpm, but at high speeds, it's pretty constant regardless.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.