I have a question about valves and a question about the choke plunger

2 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted February 09, 2006 - 04:57 PM

Well first off, I thought my bike was running okay but after riding my friends bike I am starting to have second thoughts. First off, let me give you some background information about this guy. He does not know how to adjust his chain. He does not know how to install an aftermarket fuel screw. He has not changed his oil filter or his oil since he got his bike. (he got it new for christmas) He has not changed the oil filter either. Well, he brought his bike over today so that I could help him adjust his chain. (it is an '04 YZ450F) I havent ridden his bike yet, so I started it up and it started first kick without even trying. He said he had started it up before he came there, but still it had to have been at least 40 minutes after he had last started. He has not had the valves adjusted since break in either. It was also running way lean as well. But it started so much easier than my bike, and I have been keeping the fuel screw adjust and everything. So, do you think I need to adjust my valves? Also, since I went through too much water (could not really tell how deep it was) my choke plunger will not stay out. I have to hold and twist it to get it to stay out, and then once I kick it once, it goes back in on its own. So, do I need to adjust my valves? Do I have to open up my carburator and clean the choke plunger? Sorry for such a long post, I was just trying to include all the information.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2006 - 08:01 PM

You say he got it "new", as in an unused hold over? In that case, it's probably two years away from needing a valve adjustment (my '03 still hasn't). As to whether yours does, you won't know 'til you check. Better get him to get on the other services, though; they aren't indestructible.

You could try removing and cleaning the choke assembly. There's a little spring ring that holds the choke out. It could be dirty or it could be worn out.

• kawirider

Posted February 10, 2006 - 05:30 AM

yeah it is a hold over, and I guess I will have to check my valves or get them done.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.