XR650L exhaust help

23 replies to this topic
  • racepaul

Posted February 09, 2006 - 04:40 PM

I have a question regarding the stock exhaust: After "uncorking" the motor should anything be done to the stock pipe? (ie: cutting the baffle?) :thumbsup:

• Sleeperdrz

Posted February 09, 2006 - 05:12 PM

I put a FMF on mine. Keep in mind you are not going to much much more power out of that motor unless you bore it. Still it's a fun DS bike.

• roadcam

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:19 PM

screwing with that baffle will make it louder ... thats it ... no power increase, just louder ... leave the stock pipe alone, or replace with aftremarket pipe ... and make sure you run a spark arrestor ... :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 09, 2006 - 06:37 PM

screwing with that baffle will make it louder ... thats it ... no power increase, just louder ... leave the stock pipe alone, or replace with aftremarket pipe ... and make sure you run a spark arrestor ... :thumbsup:

I conquer.

• racepaul

Posted February 09, 2006 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info :thumbsup: very much appreciated

• ewbish

Posted February 10, 2006 - 06:36 AM

I have a question regarding the stock exhaust: After "uncorking" the motor should anything be done to the stock pipe? (ie: cutting the baffle?) :thumbsup:

There's a guy on Ebay unloading WB E2 pipes. Brand new in the box, I scored one last month for 230.00. This is the pipe to get for a 650L. It has a 96db core, and spark arrestor. It takes seconds to replace that with the open cap if need be.

Just query Ebay for 650L pipe and you'll see. The guy says in the description that it may need the mount adapted for the L, but this is not the case, you just use the turn signal mount and it lines up perfect. To 10 minutes to install.

• roadcam

Posted February 10, 2006 - 08:15 AM

There's a guy on Ebay unloading WB E2 pipes. Brand new in the box, I scored one last month for 230.00. This is the pipe to get for a 650L. It has a 96db core, and spark arrestor. It takes seconds to replace that with the open cap if need be.

Just query Ebay for 650L pipe and you'll see. The guy says in the description that it may need the mount adapted for the L, but this is not the case, you just use the turn signal mount and it lines up perfect. To 10 minutes to install.

that is a very good price, and the pipetests usually pick the White Bros as the all-around best power gain, too :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 10, 2006 - 09:02 AM

Removing the baffle yields a small increase in top-end, most noticeable during long sandy uphill climbs with a teraflex.

It is a small increase, however.

Dave

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 10, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Just query Ebay for 650L pipe and you'll see.

All gone. :thumbsup:

• ewbish

Posted February 10, 2006 - 10:18 AM

All gone. :thumbsup:

Shame, he must of sold a dozen of them. Anyway, anybody on a budget can get a decent, used pipe. It's a simple matter to repack them. I think a lot of 650L miss out on the bulk of the used stuff--search for XR600, all but a few years bolt straight onto the 650L. If I couldn't have scored the WB, I think the next best pipe is a Supertrapp, or any of the similar pipes with the tuneable disks. I regularly see used Supertraps for the 600 go for 50.00 to a 100.00 bucks, and they work great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted February 10, 2006 - 10:39 AM

Removing the baffle yields a small increase in top-end, most noticeable during long sandy uphill climbs with a teraflex.

It is a small increase, however.

Dave

IMHO it sounds much better without the baffle, with it all I can think is VW. :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted February 10, 2006 - 11:14 PM

i also scored a white bros e2 pipe from the dude on ebay. it was a screaming deal! the pipe fits perfect with zero mods. it sounds great and with jetting the bike rips!

• goblin127

Posted February 11, 2006 - 05:34 AM

No matter what they say you are not going to see any type of major power gain. But it's going to sound like it does,and thats what makes us happy.

• chicagobikefan

Posted February 11, 2006 - 09:00 AM

If you do the standard carb mods and change to 55/158 jets, the bike will run great with the stock pipe; maybe about 10-20% more power. If you go to an aftermarket pipe, you're going to have to bump up the jets. I just put on a Supertrapp IDS2 Quiet and will be putting in the 58/165 jets this weekend and report on how it goes... The bike was running too lean at 55/158 with the Supertrapp can.

• dano148

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:30 AM

I put a pro-circuit T-4 System on my 05 650L which gave it a nice tone

• bronnco79

Posted May 21, 2006 - 11:01 AM

how can u not gain power by removing the core the engine is a big air pump it will flow better whith carb mods

• bronnco79

Posted May 21, 2006 - 11:02 AM

hey chicago did u turn the mix screw?

• justicedone

Posted May 21, 2006 - 05:19 PM

I bought my WB pipe from a guy selling a lot of them last year, and he lived 20mi from me. So I didnt have to pay or wait for shipping, won auction in morning had pipe on in afternoon...and nobody was bidding. Final cost $203.00

:ride: have had it about a year and love it every ride

my bike will seriously spank a stocker, have done so many times and had friends with stock bikes ride mine, they agreed

• lhark

Posted May 23, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I found a Yosh comp can for an XR 600 that bolted right up, and works fine. Some of the Yosh cans have an end cap that has the provision to put smaller output tips inside, with spark arrestor. The thing was in the Parts Unlimited close-out catalog at my local dealer. Paid $175.00 for it. As is comes, it's pretty loud......

• Itchykawa

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:55 AM

I found a Yosh comp can for an XR 600 that bolted right up, and works fine. Some of the Yosh cans have an end cap that has the provision to put smaller output tips inside, with spark arrestor. The thing was in the Parts Unlimited close-out catalog at my local dealer. Paid $175.00 for it. As is comes, it's pretty loud......

Cool! It's hard beat a Yosh for performance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.