FMF Ti Powercore...1st Ride

32 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted February 09, 2006 - 11:44 AM

So I've heard everyone talking about how their WR will "rip their arms off", yada, yada, yada. Since I've had my bike almost a year now and have dialed the jetting in perfectly, i.e. no bog, perfect plug, etc., I just couldn't really understand what most folks were raving about. Granted, the bike is very strong and spools up like the 2-strokes of old thanks to cutting 4-stroke R&D, but I always felt it was very forgiving and controllable. Well, that was when I had the Q2 bolted on. Life as I know it, has changed forever :eek: ....

Those of you 30-something's out there remember the satirical documentary "This is Spinal Tap", right? Remember the one scene that sticks out with that one famous statement? "Most amps only go to 10, but these goes to 11." Well, the new Ti Powercore goes to 11. Holy buckets of torque, Batman! I took the bike out for a little 30-minute hop, just to test the pipe out and get the fluids warmed up for an oil change. It was like a whole new bike. I'm not a small guy, 6'0", 225, but I was doing 4th gear roll-on wheelies with no effort at more than 5200' ASL, temps in the mid-40's.

Now for some of you out there, this may be your normal experience, but it wasn't mine. Like I said, I'm used to very controllable power, and I had no hesitation about pinning the throttle. I just pity my buddies behind me on Saturday when I wick it open. This pipe just flat rips!

Noise-wise, this thing is substantially louder than the Q2, so much so that I may start wearing earplugs when I ride. I found the Q2 very unoffensive when I rode, but the TiPo gets to me. I'm looking forward to the Q-core when it becomes available. I'll likely keep it handy at all times when I'm riding, just to be courteous.

With regard to jetting, I found that it leaned things out just a bit, as I experienced one or two more decel pops than I would normally, but really no big deal. As the temps warm up throughout the day, I see this self-equalizing. If not, I don't think it's anything another 1/4 or 1/2 turn on the FS wouldn't take care of.

So that's it for now. If I discover anything additional on Saturday, I'll be sure to post an addendum. Other than that, if you're thinking about getting one, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it...Kick ass pipe! :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :thumbsup:...SC

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted February 09, 2006 - 11:50 AM

I was 99% sure this was the pipe for me and you just put it to 100%

You also have the powerbomb SX header ya?

• clark4131

Posted February 09, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Yep, I have the SX Powerbomb as well. Since you live in a neigbor state to the People's Republic of Kalifornistan, I highly recommend adding another couple of bucks to the purchase price for the quiet core. I'm gonna carry it in my camelbak, just in case...SC

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted February 09, 2006 - 01:42 PM

Ya, the quiet core is going to be purchased at the same time, they are starting to crack down on noise in Oregon now too, especially at the dunes.

• dbailey223

Posted February 09, 2006 - 01:54 PM

Any idea how much the powercore will affect performance and noise?

• clark4131

Posted February 09, 2006 - 02:10 PM

Any idea how much the powercore will affect performance and noise?

Do you mean the quiet core? It should knock it down into the 94db range I believe. It will detract from the performance as well I imagine, as it corks up the exhaust a bit...SC

• dbailey223

Posted February 09, 2006 - 03:00 PM

Yes, quiet core. Oops. Please do report on the noise and power changes when yuo get that. Thanks!

• freestyle250

Posted February 09, 2006 - 03:33 PM

So where did you get it and how much did you pay? Does the muffler price include the mid-pipe? I have been really looking at that set-up along with some others. But your testimonial almost brought a tear to my eye :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 09, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Clark try lowering the needle clip one postion from my chart and things will be a lot better with the PowerCore uncorked. Thats what I find works for me when I remove the quiet core.:thumbsup: PS Now you know why I say with proper jetting and air box/ pipe mods you really dont want a YZ cam. :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted February 09, 2006 - 07:42 PM

So where did you get it and how much did you pay? Does the muffler price include the mid-pipe?

I got it from FMF for 25% off the MSRP of $299 because I qualify under a special program for cops and firefighters, pm me for details. The muffler and mid-pipe are one unit.

Clark try lowering the needle clip one postion from my chart and things will be a lot better with the PowerCore uncorked.

I'm already running uncorked with a JD Blue #4, so I'm there baby :thumbsup: ...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:16 PM

So I've heard everyone talking about how their WR will "rip their arms off", yada, yada, yada. Since I've had my bike almost a year now and have dialed the jetting in perfectly, i.e. no bog, perfect plug, etc., I just couldn't really understand what most folks were raving about. Granted, the bike is very strong and spools up like the 2-strokes of old thanks to cutting 4-stroke R&D, but I always felt it was very forgiving and controllable. Well, that was when I had the Q2 bolted on. Life as I know it, has changed forever :thumbsup: ....

I am glad you have seen the light!

Big difference huh! :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:20 PM

I am glad you have seen the light!

Big difference huh! :thumbsup:

The Q2 was an improvement over the stock pipe, but it wasn't this drastic. The Powercore is night and day. I'm really looking forward to getting out tomorrow and flogging the thing to see some real world application...SC

• Matty05

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:38 PM

It is like a little boy with a new toy! :thumbsup:

Enjoy mate, it is amazing what differences there is between pipes.
My pipe literally put my bike on par power wise with my mates YZ450's. :thumbsup:

(sorry to bag quiet pipes before, but now you know what I mean!)

• boer

Posted February 11, 2006 - 05:34 AM

congratulations on the pipe.

Enjoy it :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted February 11, 2006 - 12:57 PM

Okay, so I got a real ride in today and this pipe still rocks. The volume is not as bad as I first described, though it is louder than the Q2. I rode for 3 hours in a lot of high desert singletrack today and yeehaa, mucho fun. I love the new pipe, nothing but power on demand in the hilly stuff, whereas I needed much more clutch action with the Q2 to keep it going. I'm running a 13-tooth countershaft sprocket and since we were in a lot of DG sand, I was doing a lot of 2nd gear starts with no clutch feathering, another indication of what this pipe is all about. I may drop back down to a 14 the next time I'm out in those conditions as 1st gear starts in the soft stuff really require a lot of clutch feathering to avoid digging holes. All in all, I'm totally happy with this pipe and, as I said before, buy it, buy it now before it's too late...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 11, 2006 - 02:34 PM

Welcome to the world of FMF Powercore! Best pipe for the WR 3 years running on this forum! Are your arms a few inches longer after a ride now? Power with a FMF Powercore pipe and the JD jetting kit and air box mods is incredible! :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted February 11, 2006 - 03:11 PM

My forearms and upper back are killin' me after the ride, so I'm officially part of the "WR Amputee Club"...SC

• freestyle250

Posted February 11, 2006 - 07:18 PM

My forearms and upper back are killin' me after the ride, so I'm officially part of the "WR Amputee Club"...SC

You guys are really gettin me all worked up here :thumbsup: . Now im about 90% sure that this is the pipe I want. I just pm'd you clark cause I ran in to the dealer really quick today, and he told me some interesting things about the ti powercore.

• tony1970

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Dam you people from Nevada! :thumbsup: With your loud pipes, fun gun shows, and loose slots! :bonk: Don't make me move over there!!!!! :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted February 11, 2006 - 10:03 PM

You forgot no last call, legalized prostitution and nuclear waste :thumbsup: ...SC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.