any one using quiet pipes

6 replies to this topic
  • marty_mosley

Posted September 18, 2001 - 05:32 PM

I want to buy a new pipe and was just woundering what input some of you might have? I have the IMS gas tank so the head pipe will need to clear the petcock. Would like to get a Biggun or FMF or ? also what sound level ?

thanks marty

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 19, 2001 - 02:03 AM

I read a brochure from Big Gun just yesterday. They claim their "Quiet Series" pipe puts out 94 dba or less. I think the stock, corked WR exhaust is 94 dba...

I have a difficult time believing you can get any appreciable power increase with an exhaust rated at the same decible output. I do assume it is lighter than OEM though.

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• freshy

Posted September 19, 2001 - 03:50 AM

Kevin I believe the Stocker comes in at around 84 decibels. My Powercore was reputed to be about 104db and the Big Gun reputed 94 db. I can tell you the Big Gun system I now use falls somewhere between the two sound levelwise. IF you do not need Spark Arresting, buy a Stock YZ and restrict hte end outlet for the times you need to go stealthy. Pay attention to repacking the silencers at regular intervals as these bike have a penchant for eating the packing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted September 19, 2001 - 03:59 AM

I agree with Fershy.

Use a stock (used) YZ pipe (performance, cheap, well-made, and light) for most of my riding. Then I used a utility sink removal drain cover to restrict the pipe when I wanted to be quiet. The restrictor was about $2, far less than any sort of vortip/thumper insert.

I use the WB bros tapered pipe-and it's higher than stock. Good for keeping it out of harms way, bad for tank clearance. I haven't tried any other tank with this pipe. I understand the acerbis is a tight fit, not sure about IMS.

• Hick

Posted September 19, 2001 - 09:04 PM

I had the standard IMS tank on my ’00 YZ and a PC T4 pipe/header. It cleared the petcock fine, I rode it like that for over a year w/ no problems. The PC header is high (and huge), so I would think any header will clear the IMS petcock.

I have an FMF Q on my ’01 YZ, I wouldn’t have bothered at all with the stock YZ can being so good but I needed a USFS S/A and the PC header will NOT clear an Acerbis tank petcock, besides that thing is incredibly loud. During a highly unscientific noise comparison between my bike (w/ the FMF Q) and my friends ’01 520 EXC (bone stock) we decided that mine was louder, but not by a whole lot. So the Q thing is definitely noticeably quieter than stock.

As for power with that huge Q thing on there (easily as large as the stock KTM silencer), it revs just as well, maybe even slightly better, than with the stock can but I think it stole a little lower mid.

Hope this helps.

• wrpunisher

Posted September 19, 2001 - 09:08 PM

I have the Big Gun system and like it. With the quiet core I scored a 96 dB at tech inspection for a local enduro. That was with the airbox lid off and room to stuff more packing in the muffler. Performance is much better than stock/corked, probably a bit less than stock/uncorked.

I also run the IMS 3.4 gallon tank, and heating up the petcock is an issue (as is burning your pants leg). I solved both of these problems by wrapping some header tape around the pipe under the petcock, then covering it up with a Go Products aluminum heat shield so it still looks nice.

• Woodzi

Posted September 20, 2001 - 06:53 AM

I have a Canadian model with the stock exhaust. It does not have a removable baffle like the US model. It is very quiet (I would estimate in the low 90's) and doesn't seem to hurt performance. Stock (with airbox lid on), the WR is much much faster than the '99 Husaberg 400 I had previously. I am very impressed and I would recommend this exhaust to anyone who needs something quiet.

I would like to know if anyone has compared the Canadian pipe to the quiet FMF or Big Gun pipes in terms of power and weight. Is it worth replacing?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.