How can I make my YZ125 go faster?

14 replies to this topic
  • JML

Posted February 09, 2006 - 04:56 AM

I was just wondering how can I get my 2005 YZ125 to go alot faster without messing up anything on the bike?

• NYMXer

Posted February 09, 2006 - 05:34 AM

That would depend on how much you want to spend JML. A good pipe (I like the DEP for the Yamaha 125), some jetting, suspension work and porting/head mods...........in that order.
Tell us what type of riding you do and your skill level and we could recommend much more stuff for you.

• bikedude127

Posted February 09, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Practice Daniel Son. Focus... Seat time..

The thing with 125's is that you have to ride near perfect to ride fast. You have to try your best to make few mistakes because the power isnt there to save you when in trouble. So, that being said, practice practice and practice..

And what NY said. Pipe, Jetting, SUSPENSION!! :thumbsup:

• mitocross

Posted February 09, 2006 - 10:47 PM

Suspension first. You can't hammer it when it will kick you out of the saddle jumping like a Jumping Jack.
FMF SST after that.
:thumbsup:

• motopainter

Posted February 09, 2006 - 11:39 PM

Do the letters WFO bring anything to mind?

• rm_dave

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:01 AM

Put a big bore kit in it and don't tell anyone. You will have a super fast 125 that still won't run with the 250F's out there. But I say keep riding the 125 they sound lots better than the four bangers.

• MXjunk127

Posted February 10, 2006 - 12:02 PM

hahaha may I ask your weight and height?

You may want to change up your suspension a little, can run hard if you cant hang on...remember, speed from the bike isnt your problem, unless your like pro, the bike has plenty for ya. You would probobly do fine with some vforce reeds, a pipe and silencer, and maby some porting....You can bore it also, but I recomend that after youve done the other stuff, so that way if you feel you are fine with the pipe and reeds, you dont have to spend the extra few hundred bucks.

• LostTrail

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:29 PM

Well dont get any reeds that's for sure. Those would never make you as fast as riding skills.

• kevin204

Posted February 10, 2006 - 02:42 PM

The better you can ride the faster you will be. It's a waste of money adding power to a bike you can't ride to it's full potential.

• NYMXer

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:02 PM

Well dont get any reeds that's for sure. Those would never make you as fast as riding skills.

There's hope for you yet young grasshopper! :thumbsup:

• LostTrail

Posted February 10, 2006 - 03:43 PM

Young grasshopper, What the hell?

Make you bike faster:
Put Boyesen Reed Cage on. Put PC Pipe on. Jet. Viola.

By messing anything up I assume you mean engine work... so I wont suggest any.

• NYMXer

Posted February 10, 2006 - 04:33 PM

I would question engine advice from a guy who didn't know how to install a circlip! :bonk:
Since LostTrail recommended a pipe, maybe he knows the jetting to go along with the new pipe. :thumbsup:
The truth is that most pipes make less power where you ride the most, in the mid range. Dynoport makes good trail or midrange pipes. :thumbsup:

• noob_with_150

Posted February 10, 2006 - 07:53 PM

Suspension first. You can't hammer it when it will kick you out of the saddle jumping like a Jumping Jack.
FMF SST after that.
:thumbsup:

FMF SST is a bad pipe it tricks the bike into thinking it's leaner which makes it run better but it raises piston crown temps which is definetely not good

• JJC62879

Posted February 22, 2006 - 04:49 PM

Dynoport makes good trail or midrange pipes. :thumbsup:

Does Dynoport make pipes for newer two strokes? I was on there website and the newest yz125 listed was an 02.

• Doughnut

Posted February 22, 2006 - 05:00 PM

I went with the fmf sst and turbine core 2 on my 03 yz. I got a wiseco piston, a race head, polished cylinder, and vforce 3 reeds. It dont matter what year any of the 125's are. Ill smoke 'em, when there in 6th pinned im half throttle in 4th. Shift into 5th and bye bye! :thumbsup: Ive ridden many 125 and i personally think either pro circuit or fmf has the greatest or most noticable power gains out of all the pipes.The biggest things you can do for the cheapest would be reeds, and i would recommend the vforce 3's. There around 129.00 bucks but are worth every penny.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

10 Best Mods For The 2006 Yamaha Yz250 by thebearYZ250

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz250 crank shaft flywheel stripped problem! by jacob_buttery

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Apparently this is the 2015 yz250 by Red Dirt Ryan

• Hot  65 replies
Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 250 Front End Woes... by aled

• Hot  42 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.